Let's talk 7th Cir.! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk 7th Cir.!

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:35 pm

Can anyone talk about the type of work magistrate judges do in NDIL, both in Chicago and Rockford? Looking into clerkship options just within IL and IN, and would like to know if the dockets are more SS oriented or, like in other larger districts, closer to work an art. III judge does

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:52 pm

In a similar vein, are there any really bad bosses/unpleasant people to work for on NDIL (DJ or MJ) or CA7?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:52 pm
In a similar vein, are there any really bad bosses/unpleasant people to work for on NDIL (DJ or MJ) or CA7?
I've only heard that the staff attorney clerkship position isn't a pleasant experience, but probably has to do with the nature of it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:45 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I've only heard that the staff attorney clerkship position isn't a pleasant experience, but probably has to do with the nature of it
Because of the way Illinois selects federal judges, there are no bad bosses on NDIL or CA7. There is a range of how thorough the judges are, which affects hours. There will obviously be personality matches and clashes for you individually, but you should apply to all the ones that hire term clerks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:17 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Because of the way Illinois selects federal judges, there are no bad bosses on NDIL or CA7. There is a range of how thorough the judges are, which affects hours. There will obviously be personality matches and clashes for you individually, but you should apply to all the ones that hire term clerks!
How does Illinois select judges

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:52 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
https://www.durbin.senate.gov/newsroom/ ... ict-judges

In general, this leads to more level-headed and moderate judicial nominations than other states, especially for CA7. Senator Durbin's impact must also not be understated. There's a real personality filter for being selected as a judge in Illinois.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:52 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
https://www.durbin.senate.gov/newsroom/ ... ict-judges

In general, this leads to more level-headed and moderate judicial nominations than other states, especially for CA7. Senator Durbin's impact must also not be understated. There's a real personality filter for being selected as a judge in Illinois.
I agree that Durbin/Duckworth's nominating committee tends to lead to more moderate judicial nominations - for example, look at the prosecutors/big law partners Biden has nominated to NDIL vs. the much more progressive nominees to SNDY/EDNY (though Pacold got confirmed under Trump, so this moderation seems to mostly apply to Dem nominees). I'm not convinced that every single judge out of 30+ judges on NDIL is a nice person/good boss, but I also haven't heard of any horror stories like with other big-city district courts.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”