University of Iowa Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
poundcr

New

University of Iowa Class of 2016

Post by poundcr » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:02 pm

Hey everybody!

Anyone else going to Iowa this fall?

sailwoanchor

New

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Post by sailwoanchor » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:49 pm

Anyone else know what "good academic standing" means in terms of scholarship retention? Is that the basic 2.0, 2.5, or somewhere in there?

poundcr

New

Post by poundcr » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:12 pm

When I asked, Collins Byrd said something like 2.0 or 2.5. I wanna say it was 2.0. Basically not failing out.

kferden

New

Post by kferden » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:46 pm

If you're particularly concerned about it, it may be worth looking into Iowa's attrition rate over the past few years. I'm not sure where this info. would be located, but it may be something that admissions would advise on.

sailwoanchor

New

Post by sailwoanchor » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:15 pm

poundcr wrote:When I asked, Collins Byrd said something like 2.0 or 2.5. I wanna say it was 2.0. Basically not failing out.
Yeah I figured it was something like that. It's just a change from the past when it used to be finish in the top 33%-40%. I think it is new this year. Just made my choice a little easier.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pineoneer

New

Post by Pineoneer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:29 pm

I will be attending. I am originally from California. Where are y'all from? Any of you in the FB group? It is so quiet over there. We have a bit more active group here:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=198125

But I guess it is appropriate for us to move here now that we are commited. If you look at the other board I posted something about football tickets so make sure you reserve them now if you want to because I think the deadline is Friday.

I have also been reading through old Iowa threads from past years to get a better feel for the school. Mostly I am really bored at work. What does everyone plan to do to keep busy before the semester begins?

poundcr

New

Post by poundcr » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:39 pm

I'm from Minnesota, though I've been in Fargo, ND for the last 6 years. Is there an actual Class of 2016 fb group? I haven't been able to find one.

Found anything interesting on the old threads? I'm pretty bored at work too.

kferden

New

Post by kferden » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:49 pm

Originally from Iowa but I've been living in Pittsburgh for the last year. Super not looking forward to moving across country again, but I guess it is what it is. Getting pumped to put in my two weeks and enjoy the summer before class starts though. One last summer vacation before I'm completely consumed by the law school meat-grinder.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:55 pm

poundcr wrote:When I asked, Collins Byrd said something like 2.0 or 2.5. I wanna say it was 2.0. Basically not failing out.
2.5. If you can't maintain a 2.5, you should drop out anyway haha. Median is 3.3 for curved classes, and very few professor even give out grades lower than a 2.5.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Trips_93

New

Post by Trips_93 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:26 pm

When is the second deposit due? IIRC, on the ISIS log in page it said the second deposit is due April 29th. I've seen a few others on TLS say the same.

On the admitted students page of the school website it says the second deposit is due June 1. Anyone know?

I'll probably call on Monday just to be sure, but I'm looking for insight.

poundcr

New

Post by poundcr » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:41 pm

June 1st. I called & emailed last week. ISIS had some kind of issue/typo when we were paying our first deposit, but the 2nd one is definitely due June 1st.

kattakrah

New

Post by kattakrah » Fri May 10, 2013 8:12 pm

Hi everyone. Looking forward to the fall and meeting some new friends!! I live in Des Moines but originally from Ghana.

enf10582

New

Post by enf10582 » Tue May 14, 2013 11:35 am

I am looking for a one bedroom apartment near the law school does anyone have any advice?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pineoneer

New

Post by Pineoneer » Wed May 22, 2013 10:56 pm

No advice on one bedrooms except just check Craigslist and the Iowa portal they have (it's really snazzy). I'm rooming with a Dental student in a large 2 bedroom right next to the dental school. I think it should be a good fit plus it will extend my circle outside of just the LS.

When is everyone else planning on moving to IC? I am going to take a cross county road trip starting mid July and hope to get there around August 1st, hopefully I will have friends by the 8th to celebrate my birthday! :D

Anyone have cool summer plans? My AmeriCorps program ends in a month and then I am going on a 3 week cruise with my family. I'll only have a few days back in California before the road trip. I'll be looking forward to having a few weeks of a lazy summer before orientation.

Sorry to ramble on just trying to get some discussion going.

kferden

New

Post by kferden » Wed May 22, 2013 11:32 pm

My plan was to move back on the 22nd until I realized that orientation starts a handful of days before that. Oops.

poundcr

New

Post by poundcr » Wed May 22, 2013 11:34 pm

Hi! I'm glad someone's starting to use this.

I'm planning on getting there some time in the beginning of August. No really fun trips for me though, just working till then.

Anyone know how long orientation lasts? Cause it seems to start on a Sunday.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu May 23, 2013 9:04 am

poundcr wrote:Hi! I'm glad someone's starting to use this.

I'm planning on getting there some time in the beginning of August. No really fun trips for me though, just working till then.

Anyone know how long orientation lasts? Cause it seems to start on a Sunday.
Sorry for jumping in on you 0L thread, but I figured I'd answer this...

Orientation *kind of* starts on Sunday. I can't 100% remember, and they may have changed it, but I think we just had like a welcome reception on Sunday evening.

On Monday you start "Intro to Law and Legal Reasoning," your orientation course. Monday through Friday is a mixture of class sessions and orientation sessions. The class sessions are intended to get you prepped and ready for your real courses that start the following week. It's a pretty painless course that basically teaches you how to read and brief cases, how to deal with socratic method, etc. Seriously, it's not a big deal, don't take it too seriously. It isn't graded, I promise.

Peppered in between these class sessions are orientation sessions. These are largely a waste of time, but I guess necessary (why, I don't know, but they say they are so I believe them). They'll do silly things like "8 things to remember to succeed in law school." You'll be bored, so bring your computer. We utilized this time to bombard our Facebook group and make plans for that evening.

On Saturday you have your "exam," which is really just a way to introduce you to law school exam format. I guess this is technically graded, but only on a high-pass/pass/low-pass/fail basis. I don't think anyone has ever failed it. The grade doesn't go on your transcript or anything. Don't be that person that studies all night on Friday. Come out and grab a few beers with the upperclassmen, but don't go too hard, because you do need to show up for the exam and be reasonably cognizant.

Once you're done with your exam around noon on Saturday, you have the rest of the day, Sunday, and Monday to yourselves. If you don't have a huge 1L party lined up to get to know each other, you're doing it wrong. If we're nice, we might line up something for the entire school so you can meet people outside of your class.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

eryj

New

Post by eryj » Thu May 23, 2013 10:10 am

I'm attending, and plan on making the move from AZ out to Iowa City mid-July.

Pineoneer

New

Post by Pineoneer » Thu May 23, 2013 10:29 am

I spoke with someone a month or so again about missing Sunday and was told it was mandatory yet they did not describe what would be happening.

I am excited for my road trip. I am going northeast so I will be going through WA, MT, SD etc. I am excited!

poundcr

New

Post by poundcr » Fri May 24, 2013 1:12 pm

Anyone been on ISIS lately? I went in there to pay my last deposit and saw that it says I can sign up for classes. Are we supposed to do that? I kind of assumed that we would be placed in our classes the first year. Anyone have any information on that?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri May 24, 2013 1:18 pm

poundcr wrote:Anyone been on ISIS lately? I went in there to pay my last deposit and saw that it says I can sign up for classes. Are we supposed to do that? I kind of assumed that we would be placed in our classes the first year. Anyone have any information on that?
Don't do that. They'll register you once they figure out section assignments.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kferden

New

Post by kferden » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:00 pm

Does anyone have any idea of how big a pain the on-street parking is? I'll be commuting (I'm almost certain it's out of bus range) and am kind of curious as to how much I'm going to hate my life.

poundcr

New

Post by poundcr » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:06 pm

I don't know for a fact, so someone else should also respond, but I've heard it's terrible.

Where are you commuting from if you don't mind me asking?

BigHerky

New

Post by BigHerky » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:09 am

Their is almost no on street parking near the law building, but they do have a parking lot for law students that you can buy a year long pass for or pay for daily.

kferden

New

Post by kferden » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:52 am

Yea, that's kind of what I was afraid of. I may need to check out the parking pass just for my sanity's sake. Thanks for the heads up.

I'll be on the SouthEast corner of IC, but it's maybe a block off of Hwy 6, so it's only about an 8 minute drive. I'll probably need to double check on the bus lines before I drop some money on a parking permit though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”