University of Florida Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
gator32

New

Re: University of Florida Class of 2016

Post by gator32 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:54 pm

Looking forward to joining everyone this fall!

Suzy_29

New

Post by Suzy_29 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:48 am

Thanks for all the responses about the facilities! I have as of last week submitted my deposit! Can't wait to see everyone in August!

LowLSATSadFace

New

Post by LowLSATSadFace » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:12 pm

Florida2013 wrote:How many people are thinking of getting a 1BR apartment? It's so expensive but I don't know if I want to risk ending up with a horrible roommate my 1L year.
Thinking about living by myself for the same reason

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:53 pm

LowLSATSadFace wrote:
Florida2013 wrote:How many people are thinking of getting a 1BR apartment? It's so expensive but I don't know if I want to risk ending up with a horrible roommate my 1L year.
Thinking about living by myself for the same reason
Definitely getting a 1BR for 1L. Plan on getting a roommate or two for 2L

gator32

New

Post by gator32 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:26 pm

Posted this in the other thread but figured I'd share it here if anybody else is looking for a roommate!

Hi all, just wanted to post that I am looking for a roommate for next year as an incoming 1L. Preferably looking for a 2/2 but willing to go bigger as well. I am flexible in terms of price and location as well. A quick look online made it seem that as a 2/2 you can live in a nicer facility for a reasonable price. Shoot me a PM if you are interested! I'll also be at ASD too if anyone wants to meet up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LowLSATSadFace

New

Post by LowLSATSadFace » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:34 pm

Anyone thinking about Cazabella? So close to the Law school.

gator32

New

Post by gator32 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:14 pm

Sorry for a duplicate housing post, but I am still looking for roommates if anybody is interested. I have a house lined up (a 3/2) right across from the law school. It is 1600/mo plus utilities. Looking for 2 other roommates (male) to fill this up with me. Shoot me a PM if you are interested! I will also be at ASD.

Figure.N9ne

New

Post by Figure.N9ne » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:39 pm

Hey guys, I'm a current 1L and just saw ASD going on outside so I decided to look for the c/o 16 thread on here. Since I'm procrastinating in the library right now, I figure I can try to answer a few of the things I've seen in here.

The facilities are generally really nice. Some of the buildings are very old, but you won't be left wanting. The students are mostly friendly, we go out together, party together, study together, etc. Lots of social events to bond over. Near the end of the semester, people start getting on edge, but thats expected.

The blessing and curse about UF is Football season. Blessing - Tailgates and games are a lot of fun, especially early in the semester. But, you can't park on campus on game days. The library is closed on game day. At first this isn't a problem because you'll probably be tailgating. When late November rolls around, and you're cramming and counting on the library to get work done but it's closed because there are two home games the last two weeks of November and your first Final is December 5th, you're going to be mad.

I live in the Continuum and it's not bad. It's grad housing, but that doesn't mean it's peaceful. Thursday through Saturday you'll be hearing people yelling and slamming doors all night, but thats how it'll be anywhere in G'ville. The prices seem high compared to other places, but everything is included so it evens out.

I live in a studio, the extra money for a 1BR isn't worth it. You only gain a marginal amount of square footage, though it does have the illusion of being bigger. It's not worth the extra money. They come furnished and the furniture is pretty nice. Make sure you have them show you all the studio layouts. They have 3 different ones, and you should pick the one that best suits you. Washer/dryer in the apartment is clutch, most places in Gainesville won't have that.

The facilities are nice, the pool area is clean, spacious and well maintained. Plenty of parking. The gym isn't the greatest, but it's better than every other apartment complex I've been to and usually pretty empty. The staff regularly holds happy hours and other events, though, in general the law school people don't seem to participate much. If you want to be away from law school people when not on campus, then don't live here. I'd say over 30 law students currently live here. A year later, I'm still finding more that live here.

You can take a bus straight to campus from the continuum. you can ride a bike if you want, you'll have a bike lane the entire way and it takes less than 10 minutes. The drive takes about 7 minutes. You're walking distance from Downtown and Midtown. Downtown is less than half a mile away, and midtown is about a mile, maybe less. I've never had to drive to a bar here.

Two negative to the Continuum. First, people will know you live there. Why? Because you'll smell like the Continuum. I can't explain it, but it has this "new construction" plaster smell, and you won't notice it, but everyone else will. Second, the AC units make an annoying random buzzing sound. Some are worse than others. I can generally block it out, some of my friends sleep with ear plugs. I've had to do that on a few occasions.

As for other places to live, you need to be honest with yourself. If you're going to not go out, or not go out much, don't like drinking, etc, then you should probably get a house near the law school or an apartment on 34th. You'll be really close to campus. If you want to go out, and there really isn't much to do in Gainesville that isn't going to a bar, you definitely don't want to drive. A place closer to midtown or downtown is best. You're still really close to the school, less than 10 minutes by car, and walking distance to all the bars.

If you have any questions, post them and I'll try to answer them whenever I check in.

kmarie

New

Post by kmarie » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:39 am

LowLSATSadFace wrote:Anyone thinking about Cazabella? So close to the Law school.

I'm thinking I want to be somewhere over there. I like there or Museum Walk. I need a W/D in unit. I think I want to live in a 2/2 (loans wont really get me a nice 1/1. So if any TLSers are looking for a roommate let me know!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Florida2013

New

Post by Florida2013 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:43 pm

kmarie wrote:
LowLSATSadFace wrote:Anyone thinking about Cazabella? So close to the Law school.

I'm thinking I want to be somewhere over there. I like there or Museum Walk. I need a W/D in unit. I think I want to live in a 2/2 (loans wont really get me a nice 1/1. So if any TLSers are looking for a roommate let me know!
I was also thinking about that area, though Museum Walk looks like it also has everything you would need. My problem now is figuring out how much I'm willing to wait before I need to secure an apartment. Loads of people are giving out cheap subleases for Summer now but not so many yet for Fall-Spring leases.

kmarie

New

Post by kmarie » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:03 pm

Florida2013 wrote:
kmarie wrote:

I was also thinking about that area, though Museum Walk looks like it also has everything you would need. My problem now is figuring out how much I'm willing to wait before I need to secure an apartment. Loads of people are giving out cheap subleases for Summer now but not so many yet for Fall-Spring leases.
I'm not relying on finding a sublease. I'd rather not wait and lease directly from the complex.

kickincane21

Bronze

Post by kickincane21 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:23 pm

Anyone looking for a place to live over the summer? I'm subleasing the masterbedroom (attached bathroom) in a 4/3 house that is walking distance to the law school, right across the street from the golf course, behind Publix. It is $500 a month which includes cable/internet, and you split electricity with the other roommates. Right now it's 3 males including myself, but I know for sure 2 of us won't be here and the other might be leaving, so a girl would be fine too, or if there are two of you, you can each have a room. It is fully furnished with a large back yard. Available May 15 - August 15 with a flexible start date. Message me for any questions or pictures.

I'm currently finishing my 2L year here so can answer any questions you have if you message me.

Thanks!

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:00 am

Figure.N9ne wrote:Hey guys, I'm a current 1L and just saw ASD going on outside so I decided to look for the c/o 16 thread on here. Since I'm procrastinating in the library right now, I figure I can try to answer a few of the things I've seen in here.

The facilities are generally really nice. Some of the buildings are very old, but you won't be left wanting. The students are mostly friendly, we go out together, party together, study together, etc. Lots of social events to bond over. Near the end of the semester, people start getting on edge, but thats expected.

The blessing and curse about UF is Football season. Blessing - Tailgates and games are a lot of fun, especially early in the semester. But, you can't park on campus on game days. The library is closed on game day. At first this isn't a problem because you'll probably be tailgating. When late November rolls around, and you're cramming and counting on the library to get work done but it's closed because there are two home games the last two weeks of November and your first Final is December 5th, you're going to be mad.

I live in the Continuum and it's not bad. It's grad housing, but that doesn't mean it's peaceful. Thursday through Saturday you'll be hearing people yelling and slamming doors all night, but thats how it'll be anywhere in G'ville. The prices seem high compared to other places, but everything is included so it evens out.

I live in a studio, the extra money for a 1BR isn't worth it. You only gain a marginal amount of square footage, though it does have the illusion of being bigger. It's not worth the extra money. They come furnished and the furniture is pretty nice. Make sure you have them show you all the studio layouts. They have 3 different ones, and you should pick the one that best suits you. Washer/dryer in the apartment is clutch, most places in Gainesville won't have that.

The facilities are nice, the pool area is clean, spacious and well maintained. Plenty of parking. The gym isn't the greatest, but it's better than every other apartment complex I've been to and usually pretty empty. The staff regularly holds happy hours and other events, though, in general the law school people don't seem to participate much. If you want to be away from law school people when not on campus, then don't live here. I'd say over 30 law students currently live here. A year later, I'm still finding more that live here.

You can take a bus straight to campus from the continuum. you can ride a bike if you want, you'll have a bike lane the entire way and it takes less than 10 minutes. The drive takes about 7 minutes. You're walking distance from Downtown and Midtown. Downtown is less than half a mile away, and midtown is about a mile, maybe less. I've never had to drive to a bar here.

Two negative to the Continuum. First, people will know you live there. Why? Because you'll smell like the Continuum. I can't explain it, but it has this "new construction" plaster smell, and you won't notice it, but everyone else will. Second, the AC units make an annoying random buzzing sound. Some are worse than others. I can generally block it out, some of my friends sleep with ear plugs. I've had to do that on a few occasions.

As for other places to live, you need to be honest with yourself. If you're going to not go out, or not go out much, don't like drinking, etc, then you should probably get a house near the law school or an apartment on 34th. You'll be really close to campus. If you want to go out, and there really isn't much to do in Gainesville that isn't going to a bar, you definitely don't want to drive. A place closer to midtown or downtown is best. You're still really close to the school, less than 10 minutes by car, and walking distance to all the bars.

If you have any questions, post them and I'll try to answer them whenever I check in.
Thanks for all of the info! I visited The Continuum and I definitely noticed that smell, lol. They were very nice, but just too small for me given the price. I thought the facilities were great, Can't wait for August!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nselvar

New

Post by nselvar » Sat May 18, 2013 8:47 pm

Hey guys,
I've been lurking and thought I'd check in :) paid my deposit this week and i'm excited to meet everyone in the fall! I've also just started looking into housing so if anyone is looking for a roommate feel free to shoot me a message!
Thanks!

ScndCareertyme

New

Post by ScndCareertyme » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:29 am

DELETED
Last edited by ScndCareertyme on Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:07 pm

Sup Gators. I marched sousa in the marching band at UF back in the day when Tebow was still around. Get ITT and show some pride, please.

nselvar

New

Post by nselvar » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:26 pm

Anyone want to join me in the Class of 2016 thread (Link in the post above this one!)? It's a little lonely and I KNOW there is some pride ITT. PLEASE? Don't let me be the only Gator in there!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KittyLaredo

New

Post by KittyLaredo » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:34 pm

Hi everyone, I'll be attending UF Law this Fall. I live in Jacksonville and will be commuting to campus everyday. If anyone else is crazy enough to do this too, let me know and maybe we can carpool. I did a campus tour a few weeks ago, and I was really impressed with the facilities. What is everyone doing to prep over the next few weeks?

Go Gators!

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:03 pm

North wrote:Image

Sup Gators. I marched sousa in the marching band at UF back in the day when Tebow was still around. Get ITT and show some pride, please.
I know this post is a bit old now, but North, you're a gator alum too? No friggin way. I was one year ahead of you. Don't think I know anyone going to UVA law though.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:33 pm

Hey Gator bros. I went to UF for undergrad, so
If anyone has questions about the school in general, Gainesville, or anything else let me know.

Moose Thompson

Bronze

Post by Moose Thompson » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:25 am

ben80 wrote:Hi everyone, I'll be attending UF Law this Fall. I live in Jacksonville and will be commuting to campus everyday. If anyone else is crazy enough to do this too, let me know and maybe we can carpool. I did a campus tour a few weeks ago, and I was really impressed with the facilities. What is everyone doing to prep over the next few weeks?

Go Gators!
I strongly urge you to reconsider. I know it sounds manageable right now, but please believe me that you will regret this decision. You could probably get away with it 2L and 3L, but that commute is going to seriously impact your ability to be successful 1L.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KittyLaredo

New

Post by KittyLaredo » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:57 am

Moose Thompson wrote:
ben80 wrote:Hi everyone, I'll be attending UF Law this Fall. I live in Jacksonville and will be commuting to campus everyday. If anyone else is crazy enough to do this too, let me know and maybe we can carpool. I did a campus tour a few weeks ago, and I was really impressed with the facilities. What is everyone doing to prep over the next few weeks?

Go Gators!
I strongly urge you to reconsider. I know it sounds manageable right now, but please believe me that you will regret this decision. You could probably get away with it 2L and 3L, but that commute is going to seriously impact your ability to be successful 1L.
Unfortunately, due to financial and family considerations it won't be possible for me to live in Gainesville. I know it will be an added stress but I plan on using the commute productively either by studying Spanish or listening to audio study guides. I do know several people who have done it and not had it affect their grades adversely. I will just have to really use my time on campus and at home efficiently.

Gator_Bait

New

Post by Gator_Bait » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:39 pm

Congrats to everyone attending! I'm a rising 2L and student ambassador if you have any questions.

KittyLaredo

New

Post by KittyLaredo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:12 am

Gator_Bait wrote:Congrats to everyone attending! I'm a rising 2L and student ambassador if you have any questions.

Thanks, I just got my schedule for Fall, and would appreciate any insight you have on my professors. Should I PM you?

Florida2013

New

Post by Florida2013 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:40 pm

What's everyone doing for textbooks?

Ordering online? Advance order from the bookstore? Wilbert's? Waiting till they get to Gainesville?

If any 2Ls or 3Ls are reading this, advice would be much appreciated.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”