The George Washington University Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
simplycatalina

Silver

Re: The George Washington University Law Class of 2016

Post by simplycatalina » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:38 pm

Anyone have insight into how many students/what type of students live in the campus owned housing??

KingsCup

Bronze

Post by KingsCup » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:17 am

cbarlow1016 wrote:Anyone have insight into how many students/what type of students live in the campus owned housing??
The Ashton? I think its for 1Ls only but its only like 100 apartments and I remember seeing that they are all furnished like a freshman college dorm room, which I would hate to go back to. I remember hearing somewhere (it might have been on here) to stay away from HOVA but I'm not sure why.

They have a pretty solid "for students, by students" type housing guide on the admitted students website, guess we'll see the truth when we get there though.

Realistically I might just end up in the Ashton because of how easy it would be and my desire to live with only other students or people of student age as opposed to much older people.

Here's to hoping the weather is nice for Preview Day

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:02 pm

bgoodrick wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:Anyone have insight into how many students/what type of students live in the campus owned housing??
The Ashton? I think its for 1Ls only but its only like 100 apartments and I remember seeing that they are all furnished like a freshman college dorm room, which I would hate to go back to. I remember hearing somewhere (it might have been on here) to stay away from HOVA but I'm not sure why.

They have a pretty solid "for students, by students" type housing guide on the admitted students website, guess we'll see the truth when we get there though.

Realistically I might just end up in the Ashton because of how easy it would be and my desire to live with only other students or people of student age as opposed to much older people.

Yeah I don't really want to end up in a college dorm-like environment; that's why I was concerned. Also $8,500 seems kinda steep. I think we can either choose to take a tour of the Aston or off-campus housing options. And yep, I'm hoping the weather will be nice too!!

KingsCup

Bronze

Post by KingsCup » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:01 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:
bgoodrick wrote:

Yeah I don't really want to end up in a college dorm-like environment; that's why I was concerned. Also $8,500 seems kinda steep. I think we can either choose to take a tour of the Aston or off-campus housing options. And yep, I'm hoping the weather will be nice too!!
it seems as though $8,500 isn't that steep comparatively to the other options, if they still give you 12 months: it comes out to about $1400/month if they give it to you for a full 12 months, or $1700/month if they only give it to you for 10 (approx. two semesters). At that price it seems cheaper that most other options. I'm also okay with the almost dorm-like apartment atmosphere as its what I'm used to (going K-JD). What I really don't want to be is stuck with much older non-students, care about living with/around students much more

hopingtogetin

New

Post by hopingtogetin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:39 pm

bgoodrick wrote:

redacted
Last edited by hopingtogetin on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KingsCup

Bronze

Post by KingsCup » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:53 pm

I think I saw recently while looking for different things that its actually closed this upcoming year, so luckily that problem is getting taken care of for us.

As someone who has been there, where would you recommend living for someone in our shoes? At this point, I've seen a lot of bad reviews for places and people saying not to live in certain places, but not many people bringing up good places to live

hopingtogetin

New

Post by hopingtogetin » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:14 am

bgoodrick wrote:I think I saw recently while looking for different things that its actually closed this upcoming year, so luckily that problem is getting taken care of for us.

As someone who has been there, where would you recommend living for someone in our shoes? At this point, I've seen a lot of bad reviews for places and people saying not to live in certain places, but not many people bringing up good places to live
I would reccomend the Foggy Bottom area. It's a little pricy, but you're right by the school and it's a great place to live. Just find a roommate and it's fairly affordable. Check out the Carriage House, Winston House, the Savoy, 2000 M, and Circle Arms. I have friends living in all of them who really, really find their experiences positive and worth the money they are paying. Going to GW will be expensive, so I would say if you're new to the area to maybe stay in the Foggy Bottom area for your 1L year.

Another good option is Dupont Circle. I don't know of any buildings in particular, but it's a nice place to live and you can walk to GW in about 20-25 minutes, depending on where you are in Dupont.

I also know a fair amount of GW students who live in Rosslyn or Pentagon City. I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but there's a huge apartment complex right off the Pentagon City metro where a lot of friends of mine live, which I've heard is fairly affordable. And Pentagon City is on the same metro line as GW so that speeds things up in terms of transit.

Logan Circle and Adams Morgan can also be decent places to live, but if you're totally new to DC, I wouldn't recommend trying to do that commute, just because I've heard 1L year is hard, and I think it would be challenging to try and do that every day in a city you are unfamiliar with.

Also, I think the best time to search is in June, when a lot of leases are about to expire when the students graduate/move/etc.

Hope that helped!

fLaw School Bound

New

Post by fLaw School Bound » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:27 pm

Hey all, just got my acceptance letter Friday. Thought I'd pop in and say hi to my fellow maybe future GW students. -Garrett

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:22 pm

fLaw School Bound wrote:Hey all, just got my acceptance letter Friday. Thought I'd pop in and say hi to my fellow maybe future GW students. -Garrett
Congrats!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kaf5250

Bronze

Post by kaf5250 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:22 pm

anyone start looking at housing or know what neighborhoods are a do-able commute? I'm visiting this weekend and would like to check out some places!

fLaw School Bound

New

Post by fLaw School Bound » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:44 pm

kaf5250 wrote:anyone start looking at housing or know what neighborhoods are a do-able commute? I'm visiting this weekend and would like to check out some places!
I've been talking to a buddy of mine from DC about this. What do you consider a doable commute? And how important is price to you? Closest neighborhood is foggy bottom, followed by (in approx. order of distance) West End, Dupont Circle, Georgetown, Downtown, Rosslyn (across the river in arlington), Penn quarter, Logan Cirle, Capital Hill, Shaw, and south west waterfront. a lot of folks go deep into Virginia (end of the metro line), but personally that's too long a commute for me.

Be prepared for sticker shock unless you live in NYC or SF.

lawschoolwoohoo

Bronze

Post by lawschoolwoohoo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:16 pm

Not going to GW next year (committed @ emory instead) but spent a lot of time in the area growing up and am very familiar with DC. Shaw is a pretty intense commute to foggy bottom (where GW is). look at the area b/w dupont and foggy. it will be expensive but usually nice places within walking distance. gtown is wayyyy too expensive unless you're a millionaire or something. capital hill (if you're in a decent part) can also get up there in terms of $$. if I were you I would go with the foggy bottom area, dupont, adams morgan (a bit of a commute but not horrible), woodley park (in b/w dupont and adams morgan), and personally I love Rossyln. I'm a NoVA girl though, so I'm biased, but Rosslyn/Clarendon are great places to live.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eljefe_dy

New

Post by eljefe_dy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Most likely to attend GW Law. I will be moving to DC with my wife and baby daughter. Looking for 2+ br place to lease. Any suggestions on neighbourhoods (Looking for quiet suburban setting, reasonable commute)? I'm using Trulia for search. Anyone recommend a different site/database for rentals?

Also, any bio PhD's out there?

Visiting next week to check out the city and different neighbourhoods.

tdense

New

Post by tdense » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:22 pm

Recently decided that I will be attending GW in the fall and I want to start thinking about housing. Any guys who are interested in living with a roommate or two PM me and I can tell you a little bit about myself. Thanks!

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:56 am

Does anyone know if there's any advantage to opting into Section 15??

LSLovely173

New

Post by LSLovely173 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:37 am

cbarlow1016 wrote:Does anyone know if there's any advantage to opting into Section 15??
+1. I'm really curious about this as well. I'm a bit wary about opting into an experimental section for my first year...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Melo723

New

Post by Melo723 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:45 am

LSLovely173 wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:Does anyone know if there's any advantage to opting into Section 15??
+1. I'm really curious about this as well. I'm a bit wary about opting into an experimental section for my first year...
I'm actually wondering what the disadvantages are..

Clitophon

New

Post by Clitophon » Wed May 01, 2013 5:21 pm

If a couple of you are looking to go in on a house together, and you are interested in living in Old Town Alexandria, take a look at this place: --LinkRemoved--

It is about a 20 minute train ride to the law school (just take the blue line 7 stops to Foggy Bottom). The home is a 6 block walk from the Braddock Metro, and 4 blocks from everything on King Street. It is a fun and laid back neighborhood.

I have nothing to do with the rental of this place, but I have an interest in who moves in because we share the backyard (and thus the pool). My wife and I live in the home that is next door, and both places are owned by the same landlord. In order to put the pool in he combined the back yards, so there is an awesome shared space between the homes. I get a lot of work done sitting by the pool, which is great.

I am beginning Georgetown Law this fall part-time, so you would be sharing the backyard and pool with a fellow law student. Shoot me a message if you have any specific questions.

TheNextAmendment

Bronze

Post by TheNextAmendment » Sun May 19, 2013 11:39 am

Finally committed to GW. See you all this fall!

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Tue May 21, 2013 9:27 pm

Melo723 wrote:
LSLovely173 wrote:
I'm actually wondering what the disadvantages are..
I would hesitate to call it "experimental" - Section 15s been around since at least 2009 I think.

Everyone I know that did it loved it. (However, they did all volunteer for it.) My year it was actually a gunner section.

Possible downsides:
- conflicts with some extracurriculars (more so than day sections)
- somewhat less likely to meet people in other sections unless you spend time at school
- public transportation runs less often at night so it may take you longer to get home
- conflicts with any must-see TV or sports

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:15 pm

GULC has more participants than y'all. Fix that ITT:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”