Northwestern Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
shntn

Platinum

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Post by shntn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:33 pm

elibrarian wrote: Thats fair. Being from the Southside I feel no need to explore it. At least come take a tour/talk to us when you're in town!
I'm staying with an NU 1L friend of mine, so I'm sure I'll be around plenty. :D

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:34 pm

shntn wrote:
elibrarian wrote: We are indeed upping the swag this year, at least so I'm told.
Well now I'm unhappy about changing my flight to attend UofC's ASW instead of NU's. :|
what is this heresy.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:48 pm

feralinfant wrote:
shntn wrote:
elibrarian wrote: We are indeed upping the swag this year, at least so I'm told.
Well now I'm unhappy about changing my flight to attend UofC's ASW instead of NU's. :|
what is this heresy.
I don't even know anymore. Nothing makes sense.

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:08 pm

For those that did the NeedAccess forms- did you just ask your parents questions at every page? I'm trying to find a list of every question I am going to need to ask my parents. This seems like a really shitty way of doing this.

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:17 pm

onionz wrote:For those that did the NeedAccess forms- did you just ask your parents questions at every page? I'm trying to find a list of every question I am going to need to ask my parents. This seems like a really shitty way of doing this.
For my part of the form i think I only had a few things i needed to ask them (the last year they claimed me on their taxes and how much they contributed in total toward my undergraduate education and specifically my last year of UG.

Other than that I'm just letting them do the thing where they fill out their parts of the form and I can't even see it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:53 pm

feralinfant wrote:
onionz wrote:For those that did the NeedAccess forms- did you just ask your parents questions at every page? I'm trying to find a list of every question I am going to need to ask my parents. This seems like a really shitty way of doing this.
For my part of the form i think I only had a few things i needed to ask them (the last year they claimed me on their taxes and how much they contributed in total toward my undergraduate education and specifically my last year of UG.

Other than that I'm just letting them do the thing where they fill out their parts of the form and I can't even see it.
This is a really shitty process. My parents aren't particularly technology literate, and I will have to explain why every reference is to "college" despite going to law school.

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:47 pm

shntn wrote:
feralinfant wrote:
shntn wrote:
what is this heresy.
I don't even know anymore. Nothing makes sense.
If I take my shirt off will you forget all this Hyde Park business?

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:37 pm

feralinfant wrote: If I take my shirt off will you forget all this Hyde Park business?
Probably, uueah.

demarco5

New

Post by demarco5 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:57 pm

onionz wrote:
feralinfant wrote:

This is a really shitty process. My parents aren't particularly technology literate, and I will have to explain why every reference is to "college" despite going to law school.
Did I miss something? I just filled my Need Access out and it didn't ask me for any of my parents information, just the last year they claimed me, I think.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:11 am

demarco5 wrote:
onionz wrote:
feralinfant wrote:

Did I miss something? I just filled my Need Access out and it didn't ask me for any of my parents information, just the last year they claimed me, I think.
i'm sending mine to other schools that require parent info. If you're only sending yours to NU than you probably don't have to put a lot of the stuff as it doesn't require it.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:12 am

shntn wrote:
feralinfant wrote: If I take my shirt off will you forget all this Hyde Park business?
Probably, uueah.
Sooooo...

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:27 am

shntn wrote:
shntn wrote:
Probably, uueah.
Sooooo...
pmed.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:29 am

feralinfant wrote:
shntn wrote:
shntn wrote:
Probably, uueah.
Sooooo...
pmed.
8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:17 pm

Reposting this here in the hopes that some helpful NUers will have more answers than the financial aid board.

So I have a scholarship at lower ranked schools like UIUC and a few in my home market (which i realize isn't much leverage). But I plan on at least mentioning it to Georgetown and eventually NU to see if I can't them to throw something my way.

My question is this: If I don't actually have any intention of attending, say, UIUC should I file my FAFSA with them and so on as if I would or am I good so long as I don't withdraw my app until i finish negotiations with schools?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:36 pm

feralinfant wrote:Reposting this here in the hopes that some helpful NUers will have more answers than the financial aid board.

So I have a scholarship at lower ranked schools like UIUC and a few in my home market (which i realize isn't much leverage). But I plan on at least mentioning it to Georgetown and eventually NU to see if I can't them to throw something my way.

My question is this: If I don't actually have any intention of attending, say, UIUC should I file my FAFSA with them and so on as if I would or am I good so long as I don't withdraw my app until i finish negotiations with schools?
As long as you don't withdraw from the lower school, or miss a deadline that would make your acceptance or award invalid, I would think you're ok. But if UIUC has a FAFSA deadline of Feb 15 or something, I'd keep pretending you're still considering them by jumping through their hoops.

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:52 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
feralinfant wrote:Reposting this here in the hopes that some helpful NUers will have more answers than the financial aid board.

As long as you don't withdraw from the lower school, or miss a deadline that would make your acceptance or award invalid, I would think you're ok. But if UIUC has a FAFSA deadline of Feb 15 or something, I'd keep pretending you're still considering them by jumping through their hoops.
Thanks!

On another note, i just got a repeat e-mail telling me my decision letter was available and had a momentary freak out that my acceptance was just a mistake and when i opened it i'd find a rejection. All is well but clearly I still can't believe I'm actually in.

juicyj

New

Post by juicyj » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:31 pm

Looking for a sublet in Chicago this summer. Let me know if you have any friends or family looking for someone. Thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kwroche

New

Post by kwroche » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:56 am

feralinfant wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Thanks!

On another note, i just got a repeat e-mail telling me my decision letter was available and had a momentary freak out that my acceptance was just a mistake and when i opened it i'd find a rejection. All is well but clearly I still can't believe I'm actually in.
Same here man. I had about 15 seconds of freaking out.

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:27 pm

could probably go in the rant thread but....writing 300-500 words assessing my financial need (when they already have all my financial info) or assessing my merit (when they have my resume and academic records aaannd i'm a splitter) is a real bitch when it feels like it should actually be easy.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:30 pm

feralinfant wrote:could probably go in the rant thread but....writing 300-500 words assessing my financial need (when they already have all my financial info) or assessing my merit (when they have my resume and academic records aaannd i'm a splitter) is a real bitch when it feels like it should actually be easy.
I had a lot of trouble with those last year. Luckily I have a hockey teammate who's a good creative writer (went to Reed College, if that means anything) and he saved my ass with some great critiques.

My essays ended up pretty matter-of-fact in the end. I didn't dance around talking about money or test scores but pretty much just laid it out there, as if I'd been asked the questions in an interview.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:48 pm

feralinfant wrote:could probably go in the rant thread but....writing 300-500 words assessing my financial need (when they already have all my financial info) or assessing my merit (when they have my resume and academic records aaannd i'm a splitter) is a real bitch when it feels like it should actually be easy.
Um, what? I should look at that financial aid stuff again, because "essays" only rings a super-vague bell.

Yeah, I checked. Still no bells ringing, unless I'm missing something incredibly obvious or you're talking about a specific program as opposed to the overall financial aid deal.
Last edited by shntn on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:50 pm

shntn wrote:
Um, what? I should look at that financial aid stuff again, because "essays" only rings a super-vague bell.
i just got the e-mail saying what they need which is fafsa, need access, and then there's a link to click on that takes you somewhere to enter two short essays.
Please describe in detail how Northwestern Law will uniquely help you reach your short-term and long-term career goals. (300-500 words)
Northwestern Law administers an extensive program of scholarships and grants, all of which are awarded on a combined basis of merit and financial need. Please assess your position for merit aid and discuss your financial need for aid. (300-500 words)

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:52 pm

I like how this entire page is mostly just the 3 of us plus a 2015-er in rinkrat.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:52 pm

Hmm, got that e-mail months ago and just now clicked Link #2. Welp.

Oh well, plenty of time and everything else is already in.

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:53 pm

onionz wrote:I like how this entire page is mostly just the 3 of us plus a 2015-er in rinkrat.
:D

i'm assuming it will fill up as more decisions come out hopefully.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”