Michigan State University College of Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
jingyuan

New

Re: Michigan State University College of Law Class of 2016

Post by jingyuan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:53 pm

Hey, have you interviewed by answering two questions before you admitted?

elcee1987

New

Post by elcee1987 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:52 am

Can anyone weigh in a bit more on good places to live based on transportation issues? I'm looking for a studio/1bdrm, as I don't mind loud neighbors (too much...) but I refuse to deal with roommates. Is it better to look for a place that is walking distance, a short bus trip, or short driving distance? I hate looking for parking spots, but I'm also not a stay-on-campus-all-day kind of person, so maybe driving would be better than the bus. Thoughts, anyone?

overperformer

New

Post by overperformer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:36 pm

Anyone know where to get some msu law shirts ?

andygreen12

New

Post by andygreen12 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:14 pm

overperformer wrote:Anyone know where to get some msu law shirts ?
I'd love to know as well. Haven't had any luck finding any yet.

mtr12345

New

Post by mtr12345 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:26 pm

nvm
Last edited by mtr12345 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Berchild05

New

Post by Berchild05 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:50 pm

Anyone have any idea of the GPA curve at MSU? I just got emailed a full ride so I'm wondering how hard it would be to retain

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:09 pm

elcee1987 wrote:Can anyone weigh in a bit more on good places to live based on transportation issues? I'm looking for a studio/1bdrm, as I don't mind loud neighbors (too much...) but I refuse to deal with roommates. Is it better to look for a place that is walking distance, a short bus trip, or short driving distance? I hate looking for parking spots, but I'm also not a stay-on-campus-all-day kind of person, so maybe driving would be better than the bus. Thoughts, anyone?
The bus isn't fantastic, but it works. It's a pretty spread out campus and most of the on-campus options are geared towards roommates. That said, I live a place about a mile away... it's close to a bus stop and its not even a 5 minute drive to the law school. PM if you want details... I know whats available around here...

pumpkinpie

New

Post by pumpkinpie » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:05 pm

Berchild05 wrote:Anyone have any idea of the GPA curve at MSU? I just got emailed a full ride so I'm wondering how hard it would be to retain
This is what I was given when I asked one of the admissions people for the 1L curve:

A, A– 25%
B, B+, B– 35%
C, C+, C– 35%
D, D+, F 5%

jahacopo2221

New

Post by jahacopo2221 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:40 pm

Hey everybody! New to the TLS forum, but I've got acceptances from 5 law schools (MSU, Mississippi College Law, Roger Williams University, Widener University-Harrisburg, and University of Richmond). The first four schools have all offered me 100% tuition scholarships, and U of R has offered 75%. I'm now trying to decide where to go. I'm not afraid of the cold (I'm from northern VA, spent two years in Kansas, and just spent the winter in Oxford, England so winter weather and I are well acquainted). I thought this decision would be easier to make, because I didn't anticipate receiving so many full ride offers. I need advice on cost of living in EL, such as car insurance, cost of gas, average utilities expense, etc. I've already scoped out the housing situation and it's certainly cheaper in MI than PA or RI.

Any advice here would be sooo appreciated! Also, how do we find out about travel stipend for the ASW on April 12? I'd like to come out, but having just spent an entire term at University of Oxford and a pending move SOMEWHERE, money is tight right now.

Cheers!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

skwerlz3

New

Post by skwerlz3 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:36 pm

andygreen12 wrote:
overperformer wrote:Anyone know where to get some msu law shirts ?
I'd love to know as well. Haven't had any luck finding any yet.
You should visit the campus. They give you a t-shirt if you visit.

spartanlaw877

New

Post by spartanlaw877 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:02 pm

jahacopo2221 wrote:Hey everybody! New to the TLS forum, but I've got acceptances from 5 law schools (MSU, Mississippi College Law, Roger Williams University, Widener University-Harrisburg, and University of Richmond). The first four schools have all offered me 100% tuition scholarships, and U of R has offered 75%. I'm now trying to decide where to go. I'm not afraid of the cold (I'm from northern VA, spent two years in Kansas, and just spent the winter in Oxford, England so winter weather and I are well acquainted). I thought this decision would be easier to make, because I didn't anticipate receiving so many full ride offers. I need advice on cost of living in EL, such as car insurance, cost of gas, average utilities expense, etc. I've already scoped out the housing situation and it's certainly cheaper in MI than PA or RI.

Any advice here would be sooo appreciated! Also, how do we find out about travel stipend for the ASW on April 12? I'd like to come out, but having just spent an entire term at University of Oxford and a pending move SOMEWHERE, money is tight right now.

Cheers!
It may be a little late to get the travel stipend, but give it a shot. Gas is moderate here, I think? hasn't been over $4 a gallon in a while. Usually the 350-4 range. You shouldn't be doing too much driving anyways, bus system is great here. Most appts are going to cost you around $500 with everything included, if you have a roommate. Obviously the nice the place and the closer to campus the more expensive it is.

stretchosc

New

Post by stretchosc » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:56 pm

Does anyone need a place to live for the 2013-14 School year? Check out this post.
--LinkRemoved--
I'm currently a 2L and am looking to fill an empty room.

overperformer

New

Post by overperformer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:17 pm

did anyone else get a bumper sticker in the mail!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

osubucknut

New

Post by osubucknut » Wed May 01, 2013 10:17 pm

For everyone in with 100% and 75% scholarships, would you guys mind sharing your stats?

Berchild05

New

Post by Berchild05 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:40 pm

a

overperformer

New

Post by overperformer » Thu May 02, 2013 10:22 pm

nt
Last edited by overperformer on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chicot

New

Post by chicot » Fri May 03, 2013 2:39 pm

spartanlaw877 wrote:
devshall wrote:hey there potential Spartans -

Where the heck is a good place to live for law students? I've been looking at The Village at Chandler Crossing (primarily for its location, price, and pet policy... ha). Anyway, I'm worried I might end up somewhere with all undergrads.

Does anyone have any idea on good living locations?

Thanks!
I actually lived there as an undergrad my sophomore year, and it is definitely all undergrads. I had so many inconsiderate loud neighbors that it was almost unbearable to live there. If you're not worried about noise it's a very nice place to live. The apartments are really nice and they all have their own bathrooms.

The only thing i truly HATED about Chandler's is the location, it is the farthest thing from campus you'll find..it is almost in a different city. Luckily they paid the bus system some extra cash to bring the buses out there but it takes about a 20/25 min bus ride to the law school. Which is conveniently right next to the bus station. If you're going to be on campus all day it's not bad, i just hated it because I would have only 1 class in the morning and spend more time on the bus commuting than actually in class.

They may have graduate buildings though, I think they do actually.

Here as an offcampus housing website provided by msu, http://offcampushousing.msu.edu/property/rental

I have a friend in law school now that lives in Berrytree apartments, usually med students there. Just check online for suggestions, or email the dean's office,,,they are so helpful

Any advice for a good way to find a rental place without signing a lease. I know most places want at least 9 months commitment, but at this point I am waiting for a decision from another school :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

osubucknut

New

Post by osubucknut » Sat May 04, 2013 3:59 am

Thank you. I'll definitely be applying in the fall and I have a 3.6 gpa. I was wondering what my lsat score would have to be to get a full ride and wasn't able to find anyone with similar stats on law school numbers.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Sat May 04, 2013 12:35 pm

osubucknut wrote:Thank you. I'll definitely be applying in the fall and I have a 3.6 gpa. I was wondering what my lsat score would have to be to get a full ride and wasn't able to find anyone with similar stats on law school numbers.
Take your LSAT and then figure things out. Thinking speculatively when you don't have an LSAT is a total waste of time.

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Sat May 04, 2013 12:44 pm

osubucknut wrote:Thank you. I'll definitely be applying in the fall and I have a 3.6 gpa. I was wondering what my lsat score would have to be to get a full ride and wasn't able to find anyone with similar stats on law school numbers.
This should be useful:

http://www.law.msu.edu/admissions/schol ... ullpartial

Berchild05

New

Post by Berchild05 » Sun May 12, 2013 8:33 pm

Have you guys figured out where you're living next year?

I just put the money down on a 1BR at Spartan village.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:20 pm

Michigan is currently beating y'all participation wise. Post your committal ITT to change that:

overperformer

New

Post by overperformer » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:48 am

where is everyone going to be living?

is anyone looking for a roommate?

knotts

New

Post by knotts » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:29 am

If anybody is still in need of living arrangements, there is a room available at The Club at Chandler Crossings. It's a 3 bedroom/3 bath, and you would be living with two other rising 2Ls. I knew both of them during 1L, and they are both very laid back and awesome guys.

PM me if you would like more details.

overperformer

New

Post by overperformer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:00 am

Looks like sections were just posted

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”