"BEST" Housing in Ithaca...Help! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which offers the best 1-bedroom apartment overall?

Poll ended at Thu May 31, 2012 3:59 pm

Commons West
25%
Old Cigar Factory
25%
Center Ithaca
25%
154/156 Fane Apartments
25%

Total votes: 4

Estef_22

New

"BEST" Housing in Ithaca...Help!

Post by Estef_22 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:59 pm

For those of us looking for 1 bedroom apartments in a convenient location (close to bus stops and/or campus) and near restaurants/shops/nightlife etc, what are the best options (for well maintained, spacious apartments between 800-1100)?

As far as neighborhoods go, I see that the "Commons" is more reasonably priced than "Collegetown". I find this appealing but have no idea which of the following buildings have the best layout, location on the commons, facilities (laundry, common spaces) etc. I have listed the main ones that keep popping up in google searches and craigslist. Any input is appreciated, even new suggestions....so overwhelmed :/

Green Glass Windows

Silver

Re: "BEST" Housing in Ithaca...Help!

Post by Green Glass Windows » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:29 pm

This is relevant to my interests.

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:37 pm

407 college ave or Eddy St apts. 312 college ave is slightly older but the management is pretty solid.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:04 pm

I was about to do some major Ithaca trolling, but decided against it.
(sucks that Cornell is in the middle of nowhere)

Estef_22

New

Post by Estef_22 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:12 pm

RonnyDworkin wrote:407 college ave or Eddy St apts. 312 college ave is slightly older but the management is pretty solid.
Thanks, I'll check those out. For the most part I feel like I'm looking at a bunch of (over-priced) carpeted boxes. Pretty depressing..

Another thing. Where do students buy their furniture? How hard is it to buy/find furniture in Ithaca?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Estef_22

New

Post by Estef_22 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:16 pm

dingbat wrote:I was about to do some major Ithaca trolling, but decided against it.
I'm visiting next week for ASW and I'm hoping to find a cute, fun college town filled with charm and gorges (wishful thinking?) Sigh.

Green Glass Windows

Silver

Post by Green Glass Windows » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:07 pm

Estef_22 wrote:
dingbat wrote:I was about to do some major Ithaca trolling, but decided against it.
I'm visiting next week for AspieFest 2012! and I'm hoping to find a cute, fun college town filled with charm and gorges (wishful thinking?) Sigh.
Yeah. Why does Cornell have to be in a frozen tundra?

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:57 pm

Estef_22 wrote:
I'm visiting next week for AspieFest 2012! and I'm hoping to find a cute, fun college town filled with charm and gorges (wishful thinking?) Sigh.
Enjoy your disappointment.

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:19 am

Green Glass Windows wrote:This is relevant to my interests.
Plus1
btw Congrats ..Cornell your #1 choice?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Estef_22

New

Post by Estef_22 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:22 pm

mths wrote:
Estef_22 wrote:
Enjoy your disappointment.
Hahaha thanks. I hear Cornell attracts a certain "type" of person. Not sure what that means, but so far "eco-friendly" "hipster" and "lame" have been all been used. I'll see for myself soon enough. Just hope the weather sucks more than the people...

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:29 pm

Estef_22 wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote:407 college ave or Eddy St apts. 312 college ave is slightly older but the management is pretty solid.
Thanks, I'll check those out. For the most part I feel like I'm looking at a bunch of (over-priced) carpeted boxes. Pretty depressing..

Another thing. Where do students buy their furniture? How hard is it to buy/find furniture in Ithaca?

Most places in Collegetown come pre-furnished. I was actually shocked when I left Cornell to find out that prefurnished apartments elsewhere are hard to come by. I would try to live closer to campus if I were you. When there's 2 feet of snow (though this year, I heard the snow wasn't much) you'll be glad you're a 6/7 min walk away from the law school.

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:38 pm

Where the heck is the old cigar factory? Is that on top of Pixel lounge?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:51 pm

These are all bizarre choices.

PPM Homes is great.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Estef_22

New

Post by Estef_22 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:57 pm

2 Feet of snow, huh? How reliable are the buses/Ithaca transit in bad weather?

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:04 pm

Estef_22 wrote:2 Feet of snow, huh? How reliable are the buses/Ithaca transit in bad weather?

Pretty decent. When I was there as an undergrad (a few years ago) there were direct lines that went to the mall and Wegman's.

Estef_22

New

Post by Estef_22 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:15 pm

RonnyDworkin wrote:
Estef_22 wrote:2 Feet of snow, huh? How reliable are the buses/Ithaca transit in bad weather?

Pretty decent. When I was there as an undergrad (a few years ago) there were direct lines that went to the mall and Wegman's.
So would you say the cost/location trade off between the commons & collegetown is worth it? Would I ever get snowed in/stranded in the commons and not be able to get to class without sled dogs?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:24 pm

Estef_22 wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote:

So would you say the cost/location trade off between the commons & collegetown is worth it? Would I ever get snowed in/stranded in the commons and not be able to get to class without sled dogs?
Only if you suck.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:24 pm

Estef_22 wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote:

The commons is a great central area. Good places to eat. Rent is decent esp giving the accommodations. But have you visited? Cornell is near the top of a very steep hill. The commons (and downtown ithaca) is at the bottom of that hill. At the valley.

I would say spend the extra money and living in collegetown proper (not soemthing that is on the fringe of collegtown) for at least your first year. then once you're more comfortable with Ithaca, you can move downtown.

Overall the buses are reliable even when there's snow. But, incidents and delays do happen.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:29 pm

RonnyDworkin wrote:
Estef_22 wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote:

The commons is a great central area. Good places to eat. Rent is decent esp giving the accommodations. But have you visited? Cornell is near the top of a very steep hill. The commons (and downtown ithaca) is at the bottom of that hill. At the valley.

I would say spend the extra money and living in collegetown proper (not soemthing that is on the fringe of collegtown) for at least your first year. then once you're more comfortable with Ithaca, you can move downtown.

Overall the buses are reliable even when there's snow. But, incidents and delays do happen.
Bullshit. Lower collegetown is fine. And lots of my friends live in outlying apartments and love getting away. It's all a matter of personal preference.

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:34 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote:
Estef_22 wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote: Pretty decent. When I was there as an undergrad (a few years ago) there were direct lines that went to the mall and Wegman's.

Bullshit. Lower collegetown is fine. And lots of my friends live in outlying apartments and love getting away. It's all a matter of personal preference.
Ya mad brah?

http://www.insiderpages.com/b/152409934 ... nts-ithaca

This is what I meant by apartments on the fringes of collegtown.
Stay away from this. I know several out of towners who ended up renting here (because they started looking late or couldn't find places elsewhere in collegetown). They hated it.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:56 pm

RonnyDworkin wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote:

Ya mad brah?

Stay away from this. I know several out of towners who ended up renting here (because they started looking late or couldn't find places elsewhere in collegetown). They hated it.
The places on state street are dumps. The places on Seneca and Buffalo are almost universally very nice. the places further out (car/bus required) are generally the best deals for the money, but you're far away.

Look, I appreciate you were an undergrad, but you have no idea what a law student should be looking for in housing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

oliverlovesyou

New

Post by oliverlovesyou » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:30 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote:

Ya mad brah?

The places on state street are dumps. The places on Seneca and Buffalo are almost universally very nice. the places further out (car/bus required) are generally the best deals for the money, but you're far away.

Look, I appreciate you were an undergrad, but you have no idea what a law student should be looking for in housing.
For the most part, I have been under the impression that we just needed to weigh value and privacy against convenience according to personal preference, but now that you say that, are there any considerations that are unique to law students that I may not be thinking of? How much studying do you do at your apartment vs. in the library?

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:36 am

It's true what they say. Pick 2 of the following: Proximity, Price, Quality.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:47 am

There are some within a 2 minute walk of law school which are REALLY EXPENSIVE and fill up really quick.

I forgot the exact name. But they cost like 1k+ for a studio I believe.

LaRon James

New

Post by LaRon James » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:40 am

Commons not a good option hill walk is ridiculous you ll find yourself rationalizing skipping class to avoid a 45 minute 12 degree incline 12 degree temperature walk. College ave is overpriced but moving very slightly up the hill (linden, Bryant, elmwood etc.) gives significantly more value. And for ultimate location, you could crawl to Myron Taylor from the law school dorms

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”