Wake Forest Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Gail

Silver

Re: Wake Forest Class of 2015

Post by Gail » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:51 pm

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... Bd3c#gid=2
we're all the way down at 147

all statistics were ABA reported
http://placementsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/home.aspx

was hoping there'd be more discussion about this.

I will say one thing though. there's something strange about some of it. this is for class of 2010. NLJ250 for 2010 had Wake at 15%. This shows big law employment + fed clerkships of less than that.

Also. UNC has no temporary employment? really?

DoctorSpanky

New

Post by DoctorSpanky » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:57 am

I don't know what sort of verification goes on for this, but those UNC numbers seem awful shady. Wake's numbers aren't great this year, but I would not interpret that to mean that we are screwed.

It appears that there are jobs to be had, even if they are at smaller firms. If you are attending Wake with dreams of a big law job, you are probably looking in the wrong place. it also appears that you should be able to avoid working in some sort of doc review dungeon (unless that's what the 15 temp "business&industry" people are doing).

For the time being, It looks like the high salary jobs straight out of school are drying up for us mere mortals. I know I plan on doing everything I can to network with lawyers in the area and find out how one gets a job in a mid sized NC firm.

At the end of the day, the only conclusion you can draw from these numbers is that everything you've heard about how hard it is to get your dream job out of law school is true. It sucks, but it is not the end of the world. Wake Forest is a great law school, highly regarded in the region, and things will not suck forever.

But yeah- no temp workers out of UNC? I call bs on that one. Even the t14 schools have embarrassing numbers of temp employees and people employed by the law school this year.

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:09 pm

DoctorSpanky wrote:I don't know what sort of verification goes on for this, but those UNC numbers seem awful shady. Wake's numbers aren't great this year, but I would not interpret that to mean that we are screwed.

It appears that there are jobs to be had, even if they are at smaller firms. If you are attending Wake with dreams of a big law job, you are probably looking in the wrong place. it also appears that you should be able to avoid working in some sort of doc review dungeon (unless that's what the 15 temp "business&industry" people are doing).

For the time being, It looks like the high salary jobs straight out of school are drying up for us mere mortals. I know I plan on doing everything I can to network with lawyers in the area and find out how one gets a job in a mid sized NC firm.

At the end of the day, the only conclusion you can draw from these numbers is that everything you've heard about how hard it is to get your dream job out of law school is true. It sucks, but it is not the end of the world. Wake Forest is a great law school, highly regarded in the region, and things will not suck forever.

But yeah- no temp workers out of UNC? I call bs on that one. Even the t14 schools have embarrassing numbers of temp employees and people employed by the law school this year.
I agree. I think that the reality is that ALL law schools have faced some tough times in recent years. Yes, Wake doesn't place as well as T14 and biglaw is in all likelihood out. However, I don't think it is anywhere near impossible to find a job coming from Wake. You just have to work on it and have realistic expectations. No, you're not going to make 160k right out of school. But you can make a decent living that will allow you to service you debt adequately.

I too think the numbers are fudged... I don't know how much though.

shroeder

Bronze

Post by shroeder » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:52 am

Is anyone else still waiting to here?? I applied before Christmas

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:29 pm

shroeder wrote:Is anyone else still waiting to here?? I applied before Christmas
Well, everyone in this thread has been accepted. There is a wake forest thread in the "acceptances, denials, and wait lists" forum though. I do not know how active they are this late in the cycle though.

That is weird though, considering the first deposit deadline has already passed. I would imagine you should have at least gotten notification about the wait list. I'd probably call. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschl

New

Post by lawschl » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:01 pm

Hey guys, long time lurker and this is my first post. I checked old wake admitted students threads on TLS and found the new student website. It is:

http://newstudents.law.wfu.edu/

lots of really good info on there

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:16 pm

lawschl wrote:Hey guys, long time lurker and this is my first post. I checked old wake admitted students threads on TLS and found the new student website. It is:

I've been looking for this for a while. Thanks soooo much!!!

Tyson22

New

Post by Tyson22 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:08 pm

lawschl wrote:Hey guys, long time lurker and this is my first post. I checked old wake admitted students threads on TLS and found the new student website. It is:

Hi everyone,

First time poster as well. I recently got in off Wake's waitlist and resources like this make me really excited about Wake; it truly seems like a community. So far, the admissions team has been wonderful compared to other schools. Wake is making the decision pretty hard although the cost of tuition makes me hesitant.

jsvaughn

Bronze

Post by jsvaughn » Sun May 13, 2012 8:12 pm

Just choose Wake over Minnesota and Bama!

I'm excited to be joining yall next year in Winston-Salem

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Sun May 13, 2012 10:59 pm

jsvaughn wrote:Just choose Wake over Minnesota and Bama!

I'm excited to be joining yall next year in Winston-Salem
Congrats! I can't wait to get there :)

jsvaughn

Bronze

Post by jsvaughn » Mon May 14, 2012 10:10 am

Me either!

Is anyone planning on trying to live near downtown? Specifically the West End of 4th Street?

That seems like the place to go in terms of restaurants and bars.

niftykid

New

Post by niftykid » Wed May 16, 2012 3:04 pm

Is anyone going to the House Hunt on June 8-9?

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:11 pm

niftykid wrote:Is anyone going to the House Hunt on June 8-9?
I highly recommend going. I went 2 years ago before my 1L year and it was a lot of fun. A lot of the people will be there, and I walked away knowing about 20-30 decently well. It made walking in the first day of orientation much less stressful because I already knew so many people. And it was a good way to see some of the different apartment complexes.

I also helped out last year and met a lot of the current 1Ls. Unfortunately I won't be there this time so I won't get to meet any of you. :-(

Let me know if you have any questions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tyson22

New

Post by Tyson22 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:24 am

I am thinking of going even though I already have a place to live.. it seems like a good way to meet people!

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Mon May 21, 2012 4:27 pm

Tyson22 wrote:
I am thinking of going even though I already have a place to live.. it seems like a good way to meet people!
I can't make it, unfortunately. I really think that it would be a good way to meet people...

Tyson22

New

Post by Tyson22 » Mon May 21, 2012 5:13 pm

Does anyone know if Wake does anything other than the house hunt for students to meet each other? I hate to drive all the way to Winston to look at apartments when I don't need one but I really would like to meet some of our classmates before school starts. Also, does anyone know what orientation is like and when it is?

TichoBlanco

New

Post by TichoBlanco » Mon May 21, 2012 5:55 pm

Tyson22 wrote:
I was thinking of going to meet people as well, even though I already have a place. I'm in New Jersey so I don't think it would be worth the 16 hour round trip. I guess I'll just have to wait til August.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pifhib2

New

Post by pifhib2 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:49 am

Tyson22 wrote:Does anyone know if Wake does anything other than the house hunt for students to meet each other? I hate to drive all the way to Winston to look at apartments when I don't need one but I really would like to meet some of our classmates before school starts.
I apologize for the wall of text, but you guys might find it useful.

Last year's itinerary, mailed 06/09/11 :

ITINERARY

Friday, June 10

6:00pm - Meet in the lobby of the Courtyard by Marriott on University Parkway

We will leave for the game from the hotel
As we have done in the past, we will need some of y'all to drive other students. So if you are bringing a car down and would not mind, please let me know that you will be able to drive. If we can get drivers set before tomorrow night it makes everything run a little smoother

7:00pm - Winston Salem Dash baseball game

Your tickets and wristband will allow you to partake in the all-you-can-eat food supplied in the patio area we will be in (so come hungry!)
In the event of a rain-out, we will plan some other source of entertainment and food

10:00pm - Mixer at Last Resort

The Last Resort is a bar/restaurant located within walking distance of the Courtyard by Marriott. Feel free to drive there if you like, and if you walk, please walk in groups
We have reserved the place for the night, so this will give you a chance to get to know many of your fellow classmates and maybe even find a roommate!

Saturday, June 11

8:15am - Breakfast at the Law School

We will provide breakfast for those of you who wish to attend, but this is not mandatory

9:00pm - Depart for the House Hunt (arrive around 8:45)

We will depart at exactly 9:00am, so please try to get there a little early so we can make sure we have everyone present
You will be traveling in 3 groups

2:30pm - Lunch at the Law School

After you have visited the last complex, you will be brought back to the law school for lunch
Many of the complexes will be at the law school to answer any questions you have
The complexes also bring leases with them so you can sign up there without having to travel back to any of the complexes

7:30pm - Dinner for those still in town

Although many students leave immediately after the House Hunt, some cannot due to travel arrangements, so if you are sticking around, we will get a group together to go out for dinner
In the past this has been another chance to get to know the students, as well as explore the downtown area of Winston Salem
Again, this is not a mandatory event - rather this is just something open to anyone who is stuck in Winston Salem for the evening and wants to get out of the hotel!

I would recommend going. It's a great way to meet people and you'll be more comfortable come orientation.

Incubateus

Bronze

Post by Incubateus » Wed May 23, 2012 4:46 pm

Checking in. I can't wait for the fall (although I'll probably regret that line at some point). I should probably go sign up for the house hunt now.

jsvaughn

Bronze

Post by jsvaughn » Thu May 24, 2012 10:38 am

Whats the deal with parking?

My SO and I loved Providence Point Apartments but because they are so far away and don't provide a shuttle I would have to drive to class everyday.

Does anyone know how much a parking pass cost? Or if there is even a guarantee that I will get one?

MattThiessen

Bronze

Post by MattThiessen » Thu May 24, 2012 10:57 am

jsvaughn wrote:Whats the deal with parking?

My SO and I loved Providence Point Apartments but because they are so far away and don't provide a shuttle I would have to drive to class everyday.

Does anyone know how much a parking pass cost? Or if there is even a guarantee that I will get one?
Rising 2L here. The parking on campus leaves a little to be desired. They've been doing construction on the new B-School and I think that is at least part of the problem. You will have a couple of options as far as parking passes go. There is a $500 parking pass for parking right outside of Worrell High. I bought that and was perfectly happy with it. I mean, it's expensive but I preferred to just be closer. The other parking pass is at a church across the road (Polo) and would be about a 3-5 minute walk to the school, I think. That pass costs $300. To me, I just decided to pay a couple hundred extra for the closer parking pass just so I wouldn't be freaking out when I was late to class.

I expect parking to get better this year. Our 1L class was unusually large since we had around 185 to start out. Y'alls 1L class will probably be 30 fewer students than ours, so that should make parking a lot easier.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jsvaughn

Bronze

Post by jsvaughn » Thu May 24, 2012 11:00 am

Last edited by jsvaughn on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MattThiessen

Bronze

Post by MattThiessen » Thu May 24, 2012 11:12 am

No problem. "Protect & Serve... and answer questions in a timely manner." That's my motto.

niftykid

New

Post by niftykid » Thu May 24, 2012 1:40 pm

Couple questions I was hoping could be answered...

1. Does Wake allow for scholarship negotiations?
2. What is the $500 onetime payment for Tech Services?
3. What kind of computing power will I need? I am going to get a new laptop for school and wanted to know if there are specifics I should be considering. (Also this tech fee made me think that Wake may only allow certain laptops)
4. Do I need a parking pass if I drive a motorcycle?
5. If I ride my bike (either motor/bicycle) and it rains how does daily parking work on campus if I needed my car?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions ... I am sure I will have more.

MattThiessen

Bronze

Post by MattThiessen » Thu May 24, 2012 2:27 pm

niftykid wrote:Couple questions I was hoping could be answered...

1. Does Wake allow for scholarship negotiations?
2. What is the $500 onetime payment for Tech Services?
3. What kind of computing power will I need? I am going to get a new laptop for school and wanted to know if there are specifics I should be considering. (Also this tech fee made me think that Wake may only allow certain laptops)
4. Do I need a parking pass if I drive a motorcycle?
5. If I ride my bike (either motor/bicycle) and it rains how does daily parking work on campus if I needed my car?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions ... I am sure I will have more.
1. Yes, and I strongly suggest you attempt to negotiate your scholarship. If you have a better scholarship offer from a similarly ranked school or higher ranked school you should let Dean Shively know. I think he has explicitly said that if you have another offer and are interested in negotiating you should contact him. This doesn't mean you're necessarily guaranteed to have successful negotiation, but they will at least talk to you and depending on your stats and other offers maybe you will. Let me know if you have any specific Q's re: negotiating scholarships.
2. Just another way to charge us money, as far as I know. I don't know directly what it goes toward... Maybe they have a good reason, I haven't asked.
3. You can get whatever kind of computer you want. The only thing they say is you need to have the updated operating system. Like, you'd need at least Windows 7/Vista for PC and whatever the newer Mac system is. A lot of people use Mac's, a lot have IBM/Lenovos, but there is a pretty wide variety of computers. Get whatever you want as far as a computer goes. Whatever you are most comfortable with is what you should get. Mostly you will just use your computer for taking notes and doing research. I don't think there is any new computer on the market that won't be able to handle that. Most everyone brings their computers to class for notetaking. They have power to plug in pretty much all of the classrooms as well.
4. They have ample parking for Motorcycles (there are always open parking spots for motorcycles in my experience). I do not know if the passes work differently than cars. I think you'd have to buy a pass though I am not sure if it's the same price as a car parking pass.
5. I am not aware of any other option that would be available to you. If you don't have a parking pass then they aren't going to let you park your car in the school lot. Maybe you could park in the church parking lot across the street. I guess they probably wouldn't give you a ticket since you wouldn't have a Wake parking sticker on your car... Either way, you'd just have to find your own parking spot (and park at your own risk) unless you are willing to buy a parking pass for your car (and if you are going to do that then why not just drive your car all the time?). Depending on where you are living you may be able to ride the busline to Wake when it's raining or you may be able to hitch a ride from people who live in your apartment complex.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”