Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
mrtoren

Silver

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015

Post by mrtoren » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:11 pm

I just returned from visiting Rutgers-Camden this weekend and my decision is becoming increasingly difficult. The area around the University District is a complete shithole, but the law school itself is almost brand new. The Victor, a refurbished RCA-Victor warehouse featuring luxury lofts, is also pretty sweet...14-20ft concrete ceilings, exposed concrete columns and metal ventilation pipes, walk-in closets, industrial-sized windows, a Caruso music room, free boardrooms, a free media presentation room, in-house exercise center, three roof-top decks, the works. All for $100-$150/month less than University Centre.

I don't know guys. I might be jumping ship.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:14 pm

mrtoren wrote:I just returned from visiting Rutgers-Camden this weekend and my decision is becoming increasingly difficult. The area around the University District is a complete shithole, but the law school itself is almost brand new. The Victor, a refurbished RCA-Victor warehouse featuring luxury lofts, is also pretty sweet...14-20ft concrete ceilings, exposed concrete columns and metal ventilation pipes, walk-in closets, industrial-sized windows, a Caruso music room, free boardrooms, a free media presentation room, in-house exercise center, three roof-top decks, the works. All for $100-$150/month less than University Centre.

Did you get RU-C to drop that stipulation on their scholarship? Or did you have the 3.5 stip?

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:30 pm

neeko wrote:
mrtoren wrote:I just returned from visiting Rutgers-Camden this weekend and my decision is becoming increasingly difficult. The area around the University District is a complete shithole, but the law school itself is almost brand new. The Victor, a refurbished RCA-Victor warehouse featuring luxury lofts, is also pretty sweet...14-20ft concrete ceilings, exposed concrete columns and metal ventilation pipes, walk-in closets, industrial-sized windows, a Caruso music room, free boardrooms, a free media presentation room, in-house exercise center, three roof-top decks, the works. All for $100-$150/month less than University Centre.

Did you get RU-C to drop that stipulation on their scholarship? Or did you have the 3.5 stip?
I think someone else had the scholarship. I was going to attend these schools at sticker price.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:33 pm

mrtoren wrote:
neeko wrote:

I think someone else had the scholarship. I was going to attend these schools at sticker price.
Ohhh I see. I have that scholarship and there's no way I'm going to RU-C with a 3.5 stip. Let us know what you decide!

iceicebaby

Bronze

Post by iceicebaby » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:07 pm

Just remember, Rutgers-Newark has recently had better employment figures than Rutgers-Camden (refer to NLJ's top 50 go-to law schools list). Most of this is a function of the legal markets they are tied to. The latter is Philly and the former is NYC. You should decide which market you would rather be in post-graduation. Of course, you're not totally limited to these markets depending on which one you go to. For me, I didn't want to apply for Rutgers-Camden because I didn't want to be anywhere near Camden and the surrounding areas. At least Newark has Hoboken and other nicer areas around it to make it bearable. Moreover, having access to the New York legal market at a bargain (when you consider places like Cardozo, Seton Hall and Brooklyn charge well over $42k/year in tuition) price is very appealing. Just my two cents.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bigbub75

Bronze

Post by Bigbub75 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:17 pm

Well where do you want to practice? RU-C is a decent school, brand new campus, a stones throw from Philly. BUT it really only places in South Jersey/ PA/ DE. RU - Newark places mostly in NY/North NJ. So it's all about preference. Of course there are exceptions to the trend, but for the most part you find concentrations of graduates from each school in certain geographic locations.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:27 pm

Bigbub75 wrote:

Well where do you want to practice? RU-C is a decent school, brand new campus, a stones throw from Philly. BUT it really only places in South Jersey/ PA/ DE. RU - Newark places mostly in NY/North NJ. So it's all about preference. Of course there are exceptions to the trend, but for the most part you find concentrations of graduates from each school in certain geographic locations.
Overall, I think I would be happy in either area. I'm leaning toward Philadelphia because it seems to be more manageable and has less competition from first rate law schools. Employment is slightly weaker in recent years, but I'm eager to see how the class of 2011 did in the coming weeks.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:30 pm

mrtoren wrote:
Bigbub75 wrote:

Overall, I think I would be happy in either area. I'm leaning toward Philadelphia because it seems to be more manageable and has less competition from first rate law schools. Employment is slightly weaker in recent years, but I'm eager to see how the class of 2011 did in the coming weeks.
Have you made your decision 100% yet?

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:03 pm

neeko wrote:Have you made your decision 100% yet?
I think so. If only Camden had Newark's most recent employment figures, I would have no lingering doubts. Unless I change my mind in the future, I wish all of you the best of luck in Newark.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:59 pm

After losing mrtoren to RU-C, anyone else ITT 100% or close to it about RU-N?

dntburntheday

New

Post by dntburntheday » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:26 pm

in via status checker...complete 12/9/2011 for part time...156/2.75, M.S. in genetics: 3.5

sbmr12

New

Post by sbmr12 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:01 pm

neeko wrote:After losing mrtoren to RU-C, anyone else ITT 100% or close to it about RU-N?
I am definitely attending Fall 2012.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:26 pm

sbmr12 wrote:
neeko wrote:After losing mrtoren to RU-C, anyone else ITT 100% or close to it about RU-N?
I am definitely attending Fall 2012.
I think I am. Still waiting on some other schools, but RU is at the top of the list for me right now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

allmodcons

New

Post by allmodcons » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:01 pm

Last edited by allmodcons on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:29 pm

allmodcons wrote:
I'm almost there lol unless a few of my reach schools come through with acceptances AND $ (not likely), I'll be officially able to join this thread. Until then, I'm at about 90% and getting really excited about committing to RU!
Same position I am in!

drpeppanrice

New

Study Group for upcoming Fall

Post by drpeppanrice » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:02 pm

Putting together a study group for the fall. Feel free to email me at rutgersnewarkstudygroup2015@gmail.com if interested and we can discuss.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:28 pm

Is there a Facebook group yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:08 pm

mrtoren wrote:
neeko wrote:Have you made your decision 100% yet?
I think so. If only Camden had Newark's most recent employment figures, I would have no lingering doubts. Unless I change my mind in the future, I wish all of you the best of luck in Newark.
Has the Rowan news changed your mind about RU-C?

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:37 am

neeko wrote:Has the Rowan news changed your mind about RU-C?
Talk about a sucker punch.

Even assuming that the merger collapses, the class is still going to be devastated by fears of a later take-over attempt. Those that aren't afraid of a take-over attempt will be turned off by the fiasco that this has created. I don't understand why Rowan is coming out top-dog; the Rutgers brand name obliterates it in a head-to-head competition. I understand the benefits of a merger, but let's bring it under RU-C's umbrella. Some dead industrialist who made a $100 million contribution to Rowan twenty years ago shouldn't take priority over the Colonel. Assuming that the merger succeeds, this class is lost.

There's some chatter about RU-C organizing massive protests so I'm still holding out hope for a reversal. However, Chris Christie seems to be willing to do whatever it takes to force this through the legislature. I'll have a better idea of where I'm leaning next week, but Newark is already back in the mix.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:33 pm

Has anyone heard anything about the Studebaker Lofts? I remember passing them on the way from the hotel in Harrison to the university. They opened last fall, feature fairly low rent prices, and offer nice amenities. The building is a little funky looking...but it might be a decent place to shack up for 1L.

I figure I should get my head back in the game until Camden is sorted out one way or the other.

dntburntheday

New

Post by dntburntheday » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:45 pm

any other part-timers out there that are 100% going to RU-N?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

superbloom

Bronze

Post by superbloom » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:57 pm

Just got accepted, leaning realllly close to choosing Rutgers. Just looked up Studebaker Lofts. Sounds compelling. Anyone here looking for a roommate?

bmarc1117

New

Post by bmarc1117 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:08 am

Hey guys just registered with top laws school and wanted your opinion. I applied to Rutgers-Newark in November and was recently deferred with a 156 and 3.25. I sent in a LOCI and a new LOR specifically for rutgers and also will be visiting this week. MY fall semester also bumped up my overall GPA to 3.32. My GPA has a strong incline in the last few semesters since only 4 semesters ago I had a 2.6. I just wanted your opinion on my chances and if you ever heard of anyone being admitted outright after being deferred. Thanks guys and Im happy to be apart of the community now.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:43 am

The Camden thread is pretty dead, so I thought I would lurk around here. What do you guys think? Despite it being a generic red "R," I'm sure its a trademark of Rutgers. Could there be negative consequences for making my own hoody?

--ImageRemoved-- (LinkRemoved)

The stuff that's out there doesn't tickle my fancy.

allmodcons

New

Post by allmodcons » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:54 am

Last edited by allmodcons on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”