Georgetown Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
yips

New

Re: Georgetown Class of 2015

Post by yips » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:26 pm

Most of orientation is optional, but it's wise to show up if you can. Meet people, get the lay of the land, meet more people, get boozed...

But if you really want to know, (1) the initial Welcome, Registration, and Financial Aid session is absolutely mandatory and they will perhaps cancel your enrollment if you don't show. This is like the first thing on the schedule. (2) The Introduction to Professionalism, Legal Ethics, etc., is mandatory. (3) Introduction to Law School is mandatory and this is where you will receive such helpful things as your WestLaw password info. Everything else is more or less up to you.

mels

New

Post by mels » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:42 pm

Hey - Welcome to GULC! Just thought I'd post here to see if anyone is still looking for housing near GULC.

I am subleasing my studioI. It's located between 1 minute from campus (on Mass Ave), and has all modern facilities: gym, business center, party room, indoor parking lot, pool, hot tub, roof top, washer/dryer and dish washer in unit, wall-to-wall carpet. My apartment is a spacious studio for $1694 with a gourmet kitchen, a nice bathroom and a walk-in closet. I'm trying to sublease it this week so please let me know if you are interested! Thanks folks!

commonpleas

New

Post by commonpleas » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:44 pm

Hi guys--another housing post:

One of our roommates in our 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath house is moving out, and so we are looking for someone to take his place around August 15th. The house is at 3rd and D St. NE--the location could not be more perfect in terms of proximity to the law school, since it's no more than 10 minutes to GULC, and a 5 minute walk to Union Station and the metro. There are also plenty of great bars and restaurants nearby and also a market and beer store across the street. The house itself is great and has plenty of common space including a large front room, living room, a nice modern kitchen, some storage space in the basement, a deck and more space out back. There is also a parking space available as well for an additional fee.

The room is really spacious, has hardwood floors, and huge bay windows, so it gets tons of natural light, and is $1,333 towards the total share of rent. Our landlord is great about fixing anything and lives in Alexandrin area.

The lease would be until the end of May, with the option of continuing it after that. I can send photos if you'd like, or you can just come by to see the house in person. Either message me or email me at irinakotchach@gmail.com

LeninLunchbox

New

Post by LeninLunchbox » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:53 pm

This is not related to any previous business in this thread, but is anyone here from Chicago or Baltimore/DC or just into baseball? I just saw that the White Sox are playing the Orioles at Camden Yards on both the 27th and 28th. The latter even has a $9 ticket special. If we were to get a small group together and go, I think it'd be a great way to meet some future classmates and have a last little bit of fun before the serious stuff starts.

If anyone has any interest, PM me.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:06 pm

Just FYI from a GULC 2014er: you can also go see the Nationals for dirt, dirt cheap. Go to stubhub.com, you can often find tickets for 3-5 dollars. 4-6 dollar service charge gets divided by however many tickets you buy (i.e., not service charge per ticket but per order). Oh, and they have a great team, too (nothing against those two teams, who are also having banner years). Nationals also have student discounts and tons of other specials on their web page. Just sayin'. I went last week in a group of four, we paid $22 total for nosebleeds and then sat five rows up from the third-base line, as it's very rare that anyone ever checks your ticket.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Paran0id Andr0id

New

Post by Paran0id Andr0id » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:26 pm

volsi wrote:
mr_toad wrote:
volsi wrote:
mr_toad wrote:
In regards to the swanky reception, Volsi may or may not be right: last year we had a never-ending, extremely delicious spread. Plan accordingly :)
Maybe they corrected after we had people drunkenly stumbling around after having 4 glasses of wine, a tomato with ranch dressing and half a scallop. :twisted:
Last year's reception may have been one of the best meals I ate all year. I may try to crash this year's (you should too ... ).
Dean Treanor knows who I am way to well for that to work...
A question about attire, should I suit up or will a blazer and dark jeans suffice?

musicfor18

Silver

Post by musicfor18 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:23 pm

Hi everyone.

I actually began in the class of 2014, but had to take a leave of absence for family reasons, so will be re-entering as class of 2015 this Fall, in Section 4. I completed most of the fall semester last year, so I may be able to answer questions if there are still any floating around. Feel free to ask.

A Bit about Professors: I found Abernathy (Civ Pro) and Spann (Torts) to be fantastic, though dramatically different from each other. Abernathy can be a bit intimidating. He expects a great deal of preparation from his students, is a pretty strict cold-caller, won't allow students to ask questions ever, enjoys rubbing it in a bit when a student lacks an answer to his questions, and becomes incensed if a student utters the word "yeah" in class. In the end, though, he is actually hilarious and a fantastic teacher. Spann is incredibly engaging in class, has a good sense of humor, and never cold calls. I always enjoyed his class, and the lack of socratic pressure definitely made it more enjoyable. On the other hand, he is the type of professor who enjoys leaving questions unanswered and open-ended, so you might leave his class feeling that you don't have any finite answers. As another poster described earlier in this thread, he is very good at getting students to "think like lawyers."

By the way, someone mentioned they were in Section 4 and had a class on Fridays. I am in Section 4 without a class on Fridays. I'm just curious which class you have on that day?

IamIn

Bronze

Post by IamIn » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:43 am

musicfor18,

Torts at 9 AM

musicfor18

Silver

Post by musicfor18 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:36 pm

IamIn wrote:musicfor18,

Torts at 9 AM
Thanks. It turns out the Registrar had given me a schedule with an error on it! Torts is, indeed, Friday morning at 9am.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”