Georgetown Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
LeninLunchbox

New

Re: Georgetown Class of 2015

Post by LeninLunchbox » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:13 pm

mr_toad wrote:Rising 2L if anyone has any questions. PM if sensitive, but otherwise, share the wealth.
Any profs you particularly liked/found interesting?

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:33 pm

Sure. 1L year you'll have no choice (besides the 3-hour spring elective or, if you're in Section 3/Curriculum B, you'll pretty much know who you're getting, from what I understand). But the legendary profs include Spann (Contracts) and Gottesman (Property). New to the school (but a huge win) is Irv Gornstein (30 years at DOJ Civil Rights and SG's office, argued 36 SCOTUS cases, including several in the casebook we used for CrimPro). He's probably the best professor I've had (ever, at any level). Others with a good reputation include Nina Pillard, Abernathy, Cole, Bloch... but there are so many. There are lots of reviews on ratemyprof; however, I think they're a bit hard on Spann - I didn't do terribly well in his class, but he's a phenomenal professor - probably taught my section more about "how to think like a lawyer" than any other prof we had this year (and he had tough competition on that front).

mbugallo

New

Post by mbugallo » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:06 pm

clarion wrote:
SnapSnapSnap wrote:Has anyone created a FB group for Section 5?
I think the answer to this is "no" which I think makes ours the only section not to do so... :\

I went ahead and made one! :)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/147338682069608/

SnapSnapSnap

New

Post by SnapSnapSnap » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:00 pm

mbugallo wrote:
clarion wrote:
I think the answer to this is "no" which I think makes ours the only section not to do so... :\

Someone else made one too, it's posted in our "comments" section on the facebook pg.

mbugallo

New

Post by mbugallo » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:26 pm

SnapSnapSnap wrote:
mbugallo wrote:
clarion wrote:

Someone else made one too, it's posted in our "comments" section on the facebook pg.

Oh, can you give me the link? the admins in the fb group still haven't accepted me :/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mbugallo

New

Post by mbugallo » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:57 am

Nevermind, they just did :) I'll join the group now!

illy22

Bronze

Post by illy22 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:03 pm

Any other recent admits out there off the WL who are unsure about being able to meet the tuition deadline?

I emailed and called today, no response yet.

Just curious, whilst spinning my wheels...

KatrinaG25

New

Post by KatrinaG25 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:50 pm

mr_toad wrote:Rising 2L if anyone has any questions. PM if sensitive, but otherwise, share the wealth.
I have been hearing so many different responses about using commercial outlines and supplements as study aids. What is your take on using them or not using them? And which ones did you find most helpful if you used any?

swtlilsoni

Bronze

Post by swtlilsoni » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:57 pm

I'm supposed to go to an important family event on the 30th evening. Is orientation required for all the days? Would I be able to miss some of it?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:18 am

KatrinaG25 wrote:
I have been hearing so many different responses about using commercial outlines and supplements as study aids. What is your take on using them or not using them? And which ones did you find most helpful if you used any?
It really runs the gamut. I knew some people who did quite well skimming the cases but concentrating on study aids to "learn the law." The success of such a technique will depend on the professor; you can't really get away without knowing the cases, but it's also true that it can be relatively inefficient/nearly impossible to learn all the law you'll need to know through reading cases. That said, some professors do a much better job of helping you understand the law, not just the cases, and for those profs, supplements could almost get in the way if they explain the law differently.

The classes I did best in were classes where I outlined using the supplements to make sure I covered all my general bases and then added in particular perspectives or bits of information or variations on the law from in-class.

It's hard to say what supplements are best because that can also depend on the prof. Tried and true test practice = E&Es. I didn't use them as much as I should and did better than some people who used them extensively, but they're helpful for practicing the kind of basic analytical thinking that you'll have to show on tests. Probably the most important thing is making sure you get a supplement that's "keyed" to your book; I didn't for contracts and that really hurt my studying for that class (although I didn't understand that until it was too late).

When all's said and done, though, I got two of my best grades in classes for which I used NO supplements. FWIW.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:21 am

swtlilsoni wrote:
I'm supposed to go to an important family event on the 30th evening. Is orientation required for all the days? Would I be able to miss some of it?
The only important thing that happens in the evening that I can remember is a really swanky reception over in old Georgetown. Other than that, I seem to remember most evenings being free. I think there was a moot court featuring some of our faculty with extreme Supreme Court litigation experience (Gornstein, Gottesman, Pillard, etc.), which was pretty awesome. But yeah, most days the substantive stuff is over by 4-5. If you're worried, call and ask! I don't think there was ever more than 3-5 hours of required stuff per day.

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:51 pm

mr_toad wrote:
swtlilsoni wrote:
The only important thing that happens in the evening that I can remember is a really swanky reception over in old Georgetown. Other than that, I seem to remember most evenings being free. I think there was a moot court featuring some of our faculty with extreme Supreme Court litigation experience (Gornstein, Gottesman, Pillard, etc.), which was pretty awesome. But yeah, most days the substantive stuff is over by 4-5. If you're worried, call and ask! I don't think there was ever more than 3-5 hours of required stuff per day.
This is correct. You'll be done by 5 most days.
The swanky reception at Main Campus will have lots of booze and no food. Plan accordingly.

I'm also still open for any questions if you guys want to ask a 3L.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:04 am

volsi wrote:
mr_toad wrote:
swtlilsoni wrote:
The swanky reception at Main Campus will have lots of booze and no food. Plan accordingly.

In regards to the swanky reception, Volsi may or may not be right: last year we had a never-ending, extremely delicious spread. Plan accordingly :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:11 am

mr_toad wrote:
volsi wrote:
mr_toad wrote:

In regards to the swanky reception, Volsi may or may not be right: last year we had a never-ending, extremely delicious spread. Plan accordingly :)
Maybe they corrected after we had people drunkenly stumbling around after having 4 glasses of wine, a tomato with ranch dressing and half a scallop. :twisted:

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:01 pm

volsi wrote:
mr_toad wrote:
volsi wrote:
mr_toad wrote:

Maybe they corrected after we had people drunkenly stumbling around after having 4 glasses of wine, a tomato with ranch dressing and half a scallop. :twisted:
Last year's reception may have been one of the best meals I ate all year. I may try to crash this year's (you should too ... ).

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:59 pm

mr_toad wrote:
volsi wrote:
mr_toad wrote:
Last year's reception may have been one of the best meals I ate all year. I may try to crash this year's (you should too ... ).
Dean Treanor knows who I am way to well for that to work...

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:20 am

volsi wrote: Maybe they corrected after we had people drunkenly stumbling around after having 4 glasses of wine, a tomato with ranch dressing and half a scallop. :twisted:
An experience many of the threadgoers have to look forward to 8)

see you in a month, Volsi :mrgreen:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:19 pm

johndhi wrote:
volsi wrote: Maybe they corrected after we had people drunkenly stumbling around after having 4 glasses of wine, a tomato with ranch dressing and half a scallop. :twisted:
An experience many of the threadgoers have to look forward to 8)

see you in a month, Volsi :mrgreen:
Haha, I'm not coming back to DC until like a week before classes start. This time in a month i'm in Cancun.

ub3rm3nsch

New

Post by ub3rm3nsch » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:16 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by ub3rm3nsch on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

rightlawyer

New

Post by rightlawyer » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:01 pm

just got my (official) scholarship offer! I made my decision. GULC, here I come!! lol

and Mark, please check your PM box!

ub3rm3nsch

New

Post by ub3rm3nsch » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:06 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by ub3rm3nsch on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

moxy

Bronze

Post by moxy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:26 am

ub3rm3nsch wrote:
rightlawyer wrote:just got my (official) scholarship offer! I made my decision. GULC, here I come!! lol

and Mark, please check your PM box!
How do we see our section assignments? There are like 4 systems at once:

1) ASW
2) GULC e-mail
3) MyAccess
4) NetID.

I am already confused.
It is confusing. Here is my take on it. Your section assignment will be posted on the 'Admitted Students Website'. You will receive an email once you have been assigned to a section. NetID is your unique identifier, and is not a portal like MyAccess or the Admitted Students Website ... it is more like liker a username. You will need your NetID to login to MyAccess. MyAccess contains student information / records/ surveys/ transcript info and the likes. I hope this helps.

OhHelpMeLawd

New

Post by OhHelpMeLawd » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:53 pm

How does need-based work with Gtown? Do they offer significant sums? What do you need to get it (i.e. submit tax forms?) I heard in the past need-based is guaranteed so that if need falls merit takes over. Do they still do that?

yips

New

Post by yips » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:03 pm

illy22 wrote:Any other recent admits out there off the WL who are unsure about being able to meet the tuition deadline?

I emailed and called today, no response yet.

Just curious, whilst spinning my wheels...
Not sure if you already found an answer for this, but in case anyone else is wondering:
the bill is technically due on whatever day they told you, but you don't have to come up with the money for it right away. Rather, the student accounts office will wait until loans are disbursed, take the amount they need for tuition, etc, and then refund the balance to you a couple days later. (Remember that you have to log in to your student account and actually request the balance once it's available! Save yourself a little headache [and perhaps a day or two in penury] and set up your bank account profile now so that when the loans are disbursed, you can get your money ASAP.)

Otherwise, as long as you have your financial aid paperwork in order, you're good to go. (But if you meant that you were worried for other reasons, like you're suddenly not sure that you have as much in your Roth IRA as you previously thought, never mind :| )

benito

Bronze

Post by benito » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:43 am

Question for 2L's and 3L's or really anyone else that would know.....i know orientation is mandatory and parts of it are obvious necessities.....but which parts if any are not reallyyyyy required know what I mean?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”