NYU Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
thelawyler

Silver

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Post by thelawyler » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:41 am

chasgoose wrote:
JAJAcinco wrote:How accurately of a picture do the student faculty reviews on the NYU law website portray of the teachers? the comments for contracts w/epstein aren't particularly encouraging...
If anything, I usually find them to be too generous. That said, Contracts with Epstein is an outlier. I feel like the people that bitched about him last year just wanted to complain about having Epstein. Contracts is confusing no matter what. Epstein at least keeps things interesting. I'd be more worried if I had Liam Murphy for Contracts...
Liam is really that bad? :(

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:57 am

thelawyler wrote:
chasgoose wrote:
JAJAcinco wrote:How accurately of a picture do the student faculty reviews on the NYU law website portray of the teachers? the comments for contracts w/epstein aren't particularly encouraging...
If anything, I usually find them to be too generous. That said, Contracts with Epstein is an outlier. I feel like the people that bitched about him last year just wanted to complain about having Epstein. Contracts is confusing no matter what. Epstein at least keeps things interesting. I'd be more worried if I had Liam Murphy for Contracts...

Yes. He's a nice enough guy and great to talk to outside of class. Just be prepared to listen to your classmates offer unguided hypos that lead the class down a tunnel of despair and tangential nonsense with no hope of ever trying to learn anything. Chirelstein was my saving grace...and I absolutely loath supplements.

PigBodine

Bronze

Post by PigBodine » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:06 am

As long as we're talking about professors, are there any 2 or 3Ls who had AMilley for CivPro or Epstein for Torts? I feel like the standard recommendations for supplements probably don't apply when your professor literally wrote the casebook =/

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:16 am

spacepenguin wrote:
thelawyler wrote:
chasgoose wrote:

Yes. He's a nice enough guy and great to talk to outside of class. Just be prepared to listen to your classmates offer unguided hypos that lead the class down a tunnel of despair and tangential nonsense with no hope of ever trying to learn anything. Chirelstein was my saving grace...and I absolutely loath supplements.
Absolutely 100% agreed. The class tends to turn into gunner paradise and you end up more confused than when you started. Chirelstein is credited. I don't know which section has Geistfeld for Torts, but getting his supplement is also crucial, since he will spend a lot of time talking about his grand unified theory of torts, while just writing B®PL on the board (you can make this a game, how long will it take him to write B®PL, which is a thing you will soon learn if you are in his class) and not actually explaining what his theory is. The book isn't that much more helpful, but it's a start.

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:59 am

PigBodine wrote:As long as we're talking about professors, are there any 2 or 3Ls who had AMilley for CivPro or Epstein for Torts? I feel like the standard recommendations for supplements probably don't apply when your professor literally wrote the casebook =/
This is relevant to my interests...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pastapplicant

New

Post by pastapplicant » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:16 pm

can anybody give some insights to how to handle epstein for contracts, murphy for crim law, and issacharoff for procedure? where would i have to go to find outlines, hornbooks, and supplements? thank you.

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:51 pm

pastapplicant wrote:can anybody give some insights to how to handle epstein for contracts, murphy for crim law, and issacharoff for procedure? where would i have to go to find outlines, hornbooks, and supplements? thank you.

Issacharoff will be the best teacher you will ever have. Period. He doesn't get into the nuances of civ pro like Arthur Miller and everything is more in the abstract. Buy his supplement (same series as the Chirelestein book), go to the TA sessions, and be prepared to be mowed down for trying to know more about the law than you're supposed to actually know at any given moment.

He doesn't allow laptops, but the TA's last year (at least in my opinion), did a pretty solid job of keeping notes for the entire class to use.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:35 pm

spacepenguin wrote:
pastapplicant wrote:can anybody give some insights to how to handle epstein for contracts, murphy for crim law, and issacharoff for procedure? where would i have to go to find outlines, hornbooks, and supplements? thank you.

Issacharoff will be the best teacher you will ever have. Period. He doesn't get into the nuances of civ pro like Arthur Miller and everything is more in the abstract. Buy his supplement (same series as the Chirelestein book), go to the TA sessions, and be prepared to be mowed down for trying to know more about the law than you're supposed to actually know at any given moment.

He doesn't allow laptops, but the TA's last year (at least in my opinion), did a pretty solid job of keeping notes for the entire class to use.
Once again credited. Issacharoff is amazing. All the Miller kids will go on and on about how amazing he is, but you can sit smugly knowing you have the best Civ Pro professor... His supplement is great when you are studying for finals, but I do think its good to try not to read it until you have discussed a particular topic in class.

nutella123

New

Post by nutella123 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:19 pm

chasgoose wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:

Once again credited. Issacharoff is amazing. All the Miller kids will go on and on about how amazing he is, but you can sit smugly knowing you have the best Civ Pro professor... His supplement is great when you are studying for finals, but I do think its good to try not to read it until you have discussed a particular topic in class.
And any insights into Neuborne for CivPro? Oren Bar-Gill for Contracts? Barkow for Crim?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lawbro

Bronze

Post by Lawbro » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:53 pm

nutella123 wrote: And any insights into Neuborne for CivPro? Oren Bar-Gill for Contracts? Barkow for Crim?
This question is relevant to my interests.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:26 am

Lawbro wrote:
nutella123 wrote: And any insights into Neuborne for CivPro? Oren Bar-Gill for Contracts? Barkow for Crim?
Had Barkow for ARS, but along with Issacharoff, she was my best professor last year. First of all she is brilliant, but more importantly she makes class fun. She is genuinely excited by the material she teaches and as a result makes you excited and interested as well. Another great feature is that she is exceedingly well organized. She always posts an agenda before class, and we almost always hit everything on it. Once exams roll around, those agendas are nice to have.

Since I have commented on my other professors that are still teaching 1L's this year, I might as well finish up by saying that anyone who has Lawyering with Katie TInto is in for a treat. She's amazingly nice, very smart, and manages to make Lawyering class fun (which is shocking because I could easily see resenting that class about 2 weeks into the semester). It got to the point where I actually tried harder on my lawyering assignments than was really necessary because I didn't want to let Katie down. Also, her TA's are going to be awesome.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:28 pm

How much did you guys write for the brief today?

Lawbro

Bronze

Post by Lawbro » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:36 pm

Less than a page and a half. I don't think it's about length.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:37 pm

Lawbro wrote:Less than a page and a half. I don't think it's about length.
I mean, it's totally ungraded. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a bunch of relevant shit in my page and a third.

Lawbro

Bronze

Post by Lawbro » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:04 pm

Yeah I wasn't too worried about that, the purpose of writing the brief and sending it in is probably so they can critique it and let you know what you can do better.

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:21 pm

I was edging up on two pages, but mostly due to formatting weirdness (I indent a lot / like subsections).

DJ.Topicality

New

Post by DJ.Topicality » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:38 pm

Lawbro wrote:
Hell yeah Section (+)1. Also I've heard really good stuff about Barkow from a lot of faculty and upperclassmen (not to mention a 4.8/5 on RMP), so I'm pretty confident about Crim. If anybody knows if it would be acceptable for us to pick up a used version of the 8th edition instead of the 9th, I've been trying to figure it out for a while to save those $200. EDIT: Just spoke to Barkow, and we have to get the new 9th.

David Mora in administration sounded super stoked when I told him I had Bar-Gill for Contracts, so that should also be a pretty good class. Don't know much about Neuborne yet, but I hear he's supposed to be pretty tough.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

izy223

Bronze

Post by izy223 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:33 pm

so whats the dresscode for the buisness lunch tomorrow for guys, Just pants and a shirt- no suit or sportscoat correct?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:35 pm

izy223 wrote:so whats the dresscode for the buisness lunch tomorrow for guys, Just pants and a shirt- no suit or sportscoat correct?
yep. Probably no tie either. Think day 1 or orientation

izy223

Bronze

Post by izy223 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:42 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
izy223 wrote:so whats the dresscode for the buisness lunch tomorrow for guys, Just pants and a shirt- no suit or sportscoat correct?
yep. Probably no tie either. Think day 1 or orientation
i thought even a bit fancier like office clothing, nicer pants and a nicer shirt- am i wrong?

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:45 pm

bathrobe is tcr.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:40 pm

indigomachine wrote:bathrobe is tcr.
do it

Lawbro

Bronze

Post by Lawbro » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:51 pm

I'll probably be wearing a tie