Best Mac equivalent of One Note Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nosorio2007

New

Best Mac equivalent of One Note

Post by nosorio2007 » Thu May 31, 2007 3:31 am

So i've heard alot of good things about One Note for windows, and have been looking at Mac equivalents. Does anyone have any recommendations?

kktoot

New

Post by kktoot » Thu May 31, 2007 10:15 am

Circus Ponies Notebook 2.1. I think that's what I'm going to use. It's got really good reviews on cnet, mac law school students, etc. If you buy it from the circus ponies site, you can buy the academic liscence for $30 maybe? Apple its $50.

Zeph

Bronze

Re: Best Mac equivalent of One Note

Post by Zeph » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:33 pm

Figured I would give this a quick bump and see if there is any more updated information.

malagueno

New

Post by malagueno » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:40 pm

The only other viable option I've heard of is OmniOutliner. If I'm not mistaken I think there are a few people on here who swear by it. I, personally, have never used either program, but am interested in the answers since I will be getting a new Macbook soon.

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:46 pm

malagueno wrote:The only other viable option I've heard of is OmniOutliner. If I'm not mistaken I think there are a few people on here who swear by it. I, personally, have never used either program, but am interested in the answers since I will be getting a new Macbook soon.
Yeah I posted in another thread the NoteBook site:
http://www.circusponies.com/

apparently that's really good as well

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:12 pm

Woah! I have not seen that before.

On a side note, after checking LiveScribe's site, they have a Mac Desktop available.

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:14 pm

macattaq wrote:Woah! I have not seen that before.

On a side note, after checking LiveScribe's site, they have a Mac Desktop available.

woah to circus pony or omnioutliner? lol

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:18 pm

The whole concept, but mostly Onepony. This is exactly what I need, because it is hard for me to learn when I type my notes. Writing them in will allow me to have them on computer and also memorize via writing.

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:20 pm

macattaq wrote:The whole concept, but mostly Onepony. This is exactly what I need, because it is hard for me to learn when I type my notes. Writing them in will allow me to have them on computer and also memorize via writing.
Forgive me for asking, because I didn't read too much about it, but what do you mean write it in? How would you write something into a Mac? an external device via usb? or write something and scan it in?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:46 pm

Zeph wrote:
macattaq wrote:The whole concept, but mostly Onepony. This is exactly what I need, because it is hard for me to learn when I type my notes. Writing them in will allow me to have them on computer and also memorize via writing.
Forgive me for asking, because I didn't read too much about it, but what do you mean write it in? How would you write something into a Mac? an external device via usb? or write something and scan it in?
I mean write it in via a USB device. If I'm not mistaken, this program allows one to write on a tablet or something of that nature and have the words show up on screen.

--LinkRemoved--

nepgoon

New

Post by nepgoon » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:25 pm

Curious, what's the major benefit of using a note program like these? Why not just use Word?

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:33 pm

nepgoon wrote:Curious, what's the major benefit of using a note program like these? Why not just use Word?

Organization I believe is the main reason to use note taking programs. Word is just all jumbled and sloppy. Whereas these programs put everything in a more manageable format for you to play with

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:41 am

nepgoon wrote:Curious, what's the major benefit of using a note program like these? Why not just use Word?
if you must have your notes just so

i have one note but cannot be bothered to restart into windows w/ my mac just to use it

i guess girls really like to have pretty notes, i dunno
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:33 am

I'm a girl that likes to have pretty notes that are color coded and tabbed, and I just use the notebook view of my regular Word document. I can tab in and out easily, color code things, add shapes and arrows to make a drawing.

I did the free trial version, and it didn't seem like it was that different than my notebook Word. But I'm sure someone will tell me something different or "better"

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:35 am

lishi wrote:I'm a girl that likes to have pretty notes that are color coded and tabbed, and I just use the notebook view of my regular Word document. I can tab in and out easily, color code things, add shapes and arrows to make a drawing.

I did the free trial version, and it didn't seem like it was that different than my notebook Word. But I'm sure someone will tell me something different or "better"

Lishi you have a mac right? A friend of mine uses word with notebook view and she said for some reason its glitchy for her. An you tried the trial version of the circus pony software? You didnt like it because it wasnt anything out of the ordinary?

mycousinvinny

New

Post by mycousinvinny » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:15 pm

I used notebook feature of Word woth my Mac for most of my Junior and Senior year of undergrad and I loved it. It was never glitchy for me and very organzational. I just dont see the need to buy other stuff when most people already have Office on their comp and you will use the other stuff in the suite im sure.

viv

New

Post by viv » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:03 pm

I use OmniOutliner and I love it for lecture notes during class because nothing's easier and quicker for organizing things on the fly and making changes as the discussion progresses. But for making my final outline for a class I use regular print view in Word since I'm way more familiar with the formatting nuances to make it look exactly how I like it. Then I have my nice condensed outline as my main tool for the exam, but I also print out my detailed (but also still very organized in OO) class notes just in case something comes up where I think "Oh I know we talked about that but I didn't think it was important enough to put in my outline..." I like my system now. OO also has a great search function that works flawlessly with spotlight.

I'm not sure OO is worth the price though. Notebook View in Word is okay, but it's just too slow and I hit too many formatting snags. If I could go back I think I'd have given Circus Ponies a shot since it's a bit cheaper and I think you can keep all your notes in one document like One Note which would be nice.

Also if your heart is set on One-Note, consider setting up VMWare Fusion or Parallels so that you can run windows simultaneously with OS X, and just use One-Note in a little window on your desktop.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm

Zeph wrote:
lishi wrote:I'm a girl that likes to have pretty notes that are color coded and tabbed, and I just use the notebook view of my regular Word document. I can tab in and out easily, color code things, add shapes and arrows to make a drawing.

Lishi you have a mac right? A friend of mine uses word with notebook view and she said for some reason its glitchy for her. An you tried the trial version of the circus pony software? You didnt like it because it wasnt anything out of the ordinary?
I've never had any glitches or formatting errors with my notebook view. Honestly I didn't notice much difference from he Circus Ponies, but that was also a year ago so I may have forgotten. Try typing up something in the notebook view of word, and then do it for the free trial at circus ponies and see which yuo think is best. Circus ponies might have offered a few extra features, but none of them were enough for me to pay for it.

Also for my omnioutliner, I have a free edition on my computer, so maybe try and see if that is true on your computer. It may not be the full version though.

malagueno

New

Post by malagueno » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:27 pm

lishi wrote:
Also for my omnioutliner, I have a free edition on my computer, so maybe try and see if that is true on your computer. It may not be the full version though.
From what I've read it is a full version. Just not the Pro version which many people recommend for the extra capabilities. However, if you already have the normal version I think it is cheaper to upgrade then buy the Pro version on its own, but I may be mistaken.

nepgoon

New

Post by nepgoon » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:57 pm

Zeph wrote: An you tried the trial version of the circus pony software? You didnt like it because it wasnt anything out of the ordinary?
This was my experience after playing with the circus pony for the past day. Word is just cleaner, more professional, and has better output options (I have to print my outlines for review). OSX is so fluid anyway, I feel like the rapid pace of any class isn't really a problem for the typical mac user. Any huge plusses to Notebook that haven't been covered?

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:03 pm

nepgoon wrote:
Zeph wrote: An you tried the trial version of the circus pony software? You didnt like it because it wasnt anything out of the ordinary?
This was my experience after playing with the circus pony for the past day. Word is just cleaner, more professional, and has better output options (I have to print my outlines for review). OSX is so fluid anyway, I feel like the rapid pace of any class isn't really a problem for the typical mac user. Any huge plusses to Notebook that haven't been covered?

To be honest im just gather info right now, I'll be ordering my mac julyish when they have the free ipod and printer option for back to school like the normally do. Once i get it i will have to play around with them all. This will be my frist mac so i hope the learning curve isnt steep enough to slow me down in LS.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

*devo*

New

Post by *devo* » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:04 pm

If I use my mac for law school I have to use boot camp, which allows me to run windows like a pc on my mac. If this is the case, can I use one note through boot camp or is the windows software simply not compatible?

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:06 pm

*devo* wrote:If I use my mac for law school I have to use boot camp, which allows me to run windows like a pc on my mac. If this is the case, can I use one note through boot camp or is the windows software simply not compatible?

I believe that if you are running windows then you can use it, but dont quote me on that. I saw that floating around on some mac forums when i was looking if OneNote came on the mac with office 2008

viv

New

Post by viv » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:21 pm

If you have a new mac with Leopard it comes with bootcamp built in. Then if you buy Parallels or VMWare Fusion, those programs allow you to run both OS X and Windows simulatenously (so you don't have to reboot). Then you can be mainly in OS X but have a little floating window on your desktop running Windows, so you can be using One Note in that window.

Here's a crappy youtube video of someone doing it on their mac: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8sCbXImnr4

nepgoon

New

Post by nepgoon » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:39 pm

*devo* wrote:If I use my mac for law school I have to use boot camp, which allows me to run windows like a pc on my mac. If this is the case, can I use one note through boot camp or is the windows software simply not compatible?

Why do you have to run bootcamp, other than possibly for exams?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”