Discrimination of a Latino law professor over low evaluation rate Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
unknownlaw23

New

Discrimination of a Latino law professor over low evaluation rate

Post by unknownlaw23 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:47 pm

I am troubled by the allegations of discrimination that Paul Campos has faced. Seeing an esteemed professor subjected to unfair treatment and scrutiny due to ethnicity is disheartening. In addition, it is concerning that Brian Leiter appears to be questioning the validity of Campos’s scholarship based on its content rather than its merit. We must protect the academic freedom of faculty members and ensure they are evaluated fairly without prejudice or bias.

not2spicy4

New

Re: Discrimination of a Latino law professor over low evaluation rate

Post by not2spicy4 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:32 am

unknownlaw23 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:47 pm
I am troubled by the allegations of discrimination that Paul Campos has faced. Seeing an esteemed professor subjected to unfair treatment and scrutiny due to ethnicity is disheartening. In addition, it is concerning that Brian Leiter appears to be questioning the validity of Campos’s scholarship based on its content rather than its merit. We must protect the academic freedom of faculty members and ensure they are evaluated fairly without prejudice or bias.
I read Leiter's post, I didn't get the impression he was attacking Campos's scholarship based on its content. And looking at Campos's CV, his scholarship has certainly been lacking—he hasn't published in a top journal since 1996, and he hasn't written on "constitutional law and legal theory" (what he claims to be his bread and butter) really at all in the past ten years, save a small venture by way of an article exploring the possibility of using the 25th Amendment to get Trump out of office.

While I am a big believer in academic freedom and the protections of tenure, people like Paul Campos are the strongest argument in favor of post-tenure review. I mean look at this post from Paul Horwitz defending Campos in a previous debacle. The gist of it is "Yeah, I know this guy is a real piece of work, but he made some good points along the way." To me, at least, that is a damning indictment of your interpersonal skills that people dislike you so much that they don't want to give you any positive acknowledgement.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”