2L Class Selection Advice Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jhanco10

New

2L Class Selection Advice

Post by jhanco10 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:42 pm

Hey Guys,
I am a 1L and I am considering taking the following classes in the Fall.
-Admin Law
-Evidence
-Federal Income Tax
-Trusts and Estates I
-Advanced Writing
Note: I will also be trying to get on journal and am a slightly above average student. What do you upperclass students think? Will this be too much work? Would you advise only taking 4 classes instead of 5?

kengh

Bronze

Re: 2L Class Selection Advice

Post by kengh » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:56 pm

It seems like a big schedule. Do what you think you can handle.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:27 am

Seems insane to take 4 black-letter courses in one semester, especially when you'll be taking a fifth course on top, and potentially doing journal, and even more so when the 4 black-letter courses in question are Admin, Evidence, Tax, and T&E.

Unless there's some X-factor at your school (I dunno, like T&E being graded P/F or something crazy like that), drop at least one of those black-letter courses. 3 black-letter courses + writing + journal is more than enough for a very busy semester. In fact, 2 black-letter courses + a non-black-letter course + writing + journal would be ideal.

Speaking of writing: Does your school require "Advanced Writing"? Seems to me like that slot could be much better filled with a more interesting seminar course. If you're interested in improving your writing skills, many seminars require (or offer as an option) writing a substantial paper. You will also have writing opportunities (or even a writing requirement) as part of your journal duties.

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:21 pm

QContinuum wrote:Seems insane to take 4 black-letter courses in one semester, especially when you'll be taking a fifth course on top, and potentially doing journal, and even more so when the 4 black-letter courses in question are Admin, Evidence, Tax, and T&E.
+1. I'd move at least one, if not two, of your black letter law classes to next semester/next year in favor of taking a seminar, colloquium, or [law and X] class. You've got four semesters left of law school. That's plenty of time to take what you want. There's no rush.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:37 pm

Just wanted to point that although I highly recommend taking evidence, it is a huge time sink.
There is a LOT of memorization and most of it is rote. I easily spent more time studying for that final than any other. A lot of that was professor-specific, but it can really be a bear.
People (myself included) recommend taking evidence even if its not required because it's highly tested on the bar and arguably the most difficult subject to self-teach/study during bar prep.
That said, I would go easy on your class load the semester that you take evidence. It may require a lot more time than you think.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:28 am

B90 wrote:Just wanted to point that although I highly recommend taking evidence, it is a huge time sink.
There is a LOT of memorization and most of it is rote. I easily spent more time studying for that final than any other. A lot of that was professor-specific, but it can really be a bear.
People (myself included) recommend taking evidence even if its not required because it's highly tested on the bar and arguably the most difficult subject to self-teach/study during bar prep.
That said, I would go easy on your class load the semester that you take evidence. It may require a lot more time than you think.
I mean, all of the 4 black-letter classes mentioned by OP are great classes to take. Just, not all together in one semester.

Agree that Evidence especially should be taken by everyone. It's a fundamentally important legal class, and, as pointed out, a heavily tested bar subject that'd be a bear to learn for the first time during bar prep.

As for memorization - depends on the prof. My law school Evidence final was open-book. It was a racehorse exam, but so long as you had a well-organized outline, there wasn't that much rote memorization required.

BansheeScream

New

Post by BansheeScream » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:48 am

Yeah I think this is too much. I'm a second semester 3L and took 4 doctrinal courses in the same semester. Not only do I have so much reading I don't think I could conceivably finish it all, I have no motivation to do so when the pressure of 1L grades are off. If we hadn't gone p/f I think I likely would have tanked this semester. I'd add some easier, non exam, courses and spread the courses you mentioned over your next 4 semesters.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:13 am

QContinuum wrote: As for memorization - depends on the prof. My law school Evidence final was open-book. It was a racehorse exam, but so long as you had a well-organized outline, there wasn't that much rote memorization required.
Thanx, QContinuum, for adding this. I meant to put a "prof.-specific" disclaimer, but I was tired. It's been awhile since I've posted; I do know better than to tls while exhausted. :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”