How bad is taking a W on a Law School Transcript [2L]? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mjc2700

New

How bad is taking a W on a Law School Transcript [2L]?

Post by mjc2700 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:45 am

Hi,

I am a 2L at at a T20 school. I recently took a midterm, and I'm pretty sure I failed it after studying only for it for a few days straight. I only missed class 1 time since it started 8 weeks ago, and am caught up with the readings; did all the practice problems; etc. Basically, I accidentally signed up for a course with hard math, and it's not my strong suit... no matter how much I studied, I couldn't improve, and my professor does not have office hours. My school also doesn't have academic advising so I had no idea, until 2 weeks before the midterm, but the drop period ended week 1.

The midterm is worth 30% of my grade, and un-curved, I got 5/50 points only... Average was 31.2.

Currently trying to look for a tutor, but since I almost definitely failed this midterm, and it's worth a lot, I am seriously considering withdrawing. My school's grades policy is very strict, and I'd have to take a W on my transcript.

Thoughts of what to do? If I take the W, how should I explain this to an employer? I know that "I'm just really bad at math, and couldn't pass the course" won't fly and would tank all job interviews. However, I think this would be better than getting an F, and I am not sure as of this point if I could pass.

I am meeting with my Professor soon and the administration to discuss next steps.

Thank you!!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”