Split summer logistics Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
man2020

New

Split summer logistics

Post by man2020 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:43 pm

So I have a judicial internship lined up for the first 6 weeks of the summer. I am hoping to get an internship in a firm for the last 6 weeks. I have accepted an interview from a firm but the application did not require a cover letter so I was unable to communicate my specific circumstances, i.e. that I am not looking for a full summer internship.

Should I bring this up in my interview, or should I contact the firm directly now?

I found out and applied to the firm through Symplicity, a school website to connect students with employers. If I were to contact them directly however, I would not be able to do it through this website. I would have to go to the firm website.

What’s the correct course of action? Thanks!

texanslimjim

New

Re: Split summer logistics

Post by texanslimjim » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:14 pm

Just talk about it at the interview -- they'll tell you about how they run their internship program, and if not you can ask questions.

If it's a paid internship and they want you to whole summer, I would seriously consider withdrawing from the judicial internship. Your career advising office will hate that and tell you not to, but an internship is not a clerkship and it's just not a big deal.

BansheeScream

New

Re: Split summer logistics

Post by BansheeScream » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:32 pm

Secure the offer, don't mention the internship, ask to split later. Agree with the above as long as it's a medium/big reputable firm and not some shop where you're making $15/hr.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”