1L 3.4 GPA at UVA Law for Big Law? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
galba

New

Re: 1L 3.4 GPA at UVA Law for Big Law?

Post by galba » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:19 pm

Columbia reports this data to students, or at least they used to. In my year (not very long ago), ~75% of the class reported accepting 2L summer offers from EIP, and of course some portion of the class doesn't participate because of PI interest or whatever. Barring unusual personality defects or awful bidding, only the bottom 20% or so was thought to be at any risk of striking out, and even then most ended up fine.

I suspect this 40% number comes from the stupid survey they send around before graduation, which people fail to fill out, mess up, and generally don't take seriously. For example, the LST data says 2 people got judicial clerkships from OCI (obviously nonsensical), 15% of the class is "unknown," etc.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:35 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
nixy wrote:How do you ever even make a decision about anything, relying on “theoretically possible” logic?
Theoretically, it's possible that going to OCI at Columbia causes cancer. Without further empirical study, we can't know that isn't true. Therefore, it's reasonable for me to posit that people shouldn't attend Columbia's OCI in order to avoid increased risk of cancer.
This is exactly it. powerwhee has the burden of proof reversed. powerwhee made the speculation at issue regarding Columbia OCI's success rate. powerwhee bears the burden of proving the speculation. powerwhee doesn't get to make a random speculation and demand that others disprove the speculation.

jackshunger

Bronze

Post by jackshunger » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:02 am

The 40% number somebody reported is totally and completely inaccurate for CLS. I'm looking at the 2018 data right now and about 380 CLS students had offers from firms. Pre-EIP isn't that big (most people don't go to the firm they get through it anyway) and its a moot point this year anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”