Benefits of journal e-board positions? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
namefromplace

Bronze

Benefits of journal e-board positions?

Post by namefromplace » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:48 pm

Resurrecting this post from its grave of complaining about how terrible law review is.
I am a 2L at a T50 law school. I have a V50 firm job lined up for the summer and (for now) am in the top 5% of my class. I have made several good connections with academics and a couple of judges who I think could go to bat for me. I would like to clerk after graduation; how much do executive board positions help with that? Are there tiers of prestige? I know EiC would be most prestigious, but would say, executive editor be less prestigious than lead note and comment editor? Would note and comment editor be less prestigious than articles editor? I'm fine with the added work of each position and will be trying to run for something, but I am not really driven by prestige alone and am wondering how much effort I should put into campaigning for EiC. To clerks and former clerks: Did EiC raise eyebrows on an application to a federal judge moreso than other standard qualifications?
Last edited by cavalier1138 on Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to its own thread instead of necroing thread from 2012.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Re: Benefits of journal e-board positions?

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:31 pm

I've posted on this in the past and will largely repeat what I've posted before: EIC is a big deal and is always a significant boost. E-board seems to matter for clerkships once you're out of the T14/20. I don't think the specific e-board position, outside of EIC, matters very much.

middlemarch

New

Re: Benefits of journal e-board positions?

Post by middlemarch » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:25 am

BlackAndOrange84 wrote:I've posted on this in the past and will largely repeat what I've posted before: EIC is a big deal and is always a significant boost. E-board seems to matter for clerkships once you're out of the T14/20. I don't think the specific e-board position, outside of EIC, matters very much.
Agree that EIC is the biggest boost. After that, I think there is a lesser boost for Managing Editor and the lead/executive Articles editor because judges and their clerks generally understand what those jobs are and how they are applicable to clerking. After that, everything is a wash because naming conventions are not standardized--e.g., who knows what a "senior editor" does on a given journal.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”