Maybe you should drop out of law school. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Happy 2012!

That's a good point, thanks for the advice.
26%
NO IT WILL BE DIFFERENT FOR ME I LOVE DEBT, UNEMPLOYMENT, AND SORROW.
74%

Total votes: 358

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Post by rad lulz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:03 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:09 pm

rad lulz wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
thesealocust wrote:You're an inspiration NYC law :D
Top 5% dropping out of Fordham? Agreed. An inspiration.

Keep poasting though NYC Law, I enjoy the poasts.
112 posts in <24 hours? Brilliant.
Maybe I am actually the inspiration.
We are not worthy.

TUP

Bronze

Post by TUP » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:26 pm

NYC Law wrote:Update: MAcc programs look amazing. 1 year, lib arts majors welcome, average GPAs below 3.5 at top programs, good placement with big accounting firms ...
You'd leave your current situation for a MAcc and public accounting? Um, I'd think that through some more.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:27 pm

siouxfan45 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
siouxfan45 wrote:Do what you're passionate about.
I'm going to work as a lawyer ...way to make a living that will allow me to do things I am truly passionate about, like spending time with my family and friends and doing stuff outside of work.
Logical error in rebuttal. You chose the profession as a result of passion. -10
Nope.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:36 pm

I agree with romo. NYC Law, I actually think you're making a mistake. Maybe it's Fordham that you hate and not law school (especially if more of your problems are social-related then actual school related, which is the vibe I've gotten from your posts). If I were you, I'd consider transferring up the street -- or downtown.

I mean, you're someone who actually does have options in terms of law because of your grades, and you're going to throw it away for a "chance" at Big4 public accounting? Because you think you'll "love it"?

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:40 pm

NYC Law FWIW - I think you will be a good lawyer. I think you should not drop out. At least finish the year and then see where you are.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:57 pm

romothesavior wrote:You need to find a new schtick. I hate to cite mtal as an authority on anything, but I actually agree with him on this one.
Thanks for the props even though you were the first one to criticize my OP in that thread.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:07 pm

MTal wrote:
romothesavior wrote:You need to find a new schtick. I hate to cite mtal as an authority on anything, but I actually agree with him on this one.
Thanks for the props even though you were the first one to criticize my OP in that thread.
As I've pointed out to you a million times, people don't generally disagree with you. They usually are turned off by your attitude, personality, and extremeness.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:57 pm

very well may take this advice.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:25 pm

This is quite possibly the stupidest thread I have ever read on this site. It's so bad I'm actually responding and letting you know that I want to sue for recovery of brain cells lost reading this.

I'd say you're a gadfly of TLS, but I refuse to put you in the same category as Socrates.

:shock:

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:14 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:This is quite possibly the stupidest thread I have ever read on this site. It's so bad I'm actually responding and letting you know that I want to sue for recovery of brain cells lost reading this.

I'd say you're a gadfly of TLS, but I refuse to put you in the same category as Socrates.

care to elaborate?

Indifferent

Bronze

Post by Indifferent » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:19 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:This is quite possibly the stupidest thread I have ever read on this site. It's so bad I'm actually responding and letting you know that I want to sue for recovery of brain cells lost reading this.
Assumption of risk, brah.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:34 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:Socrates.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:17 am

This is actually one of the more relevant threads on TLS.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:19 pm

Breaking news: studying for the bar has not changed my opinion about whether or not you (yes, you - the one reading this) should stay enrolled in law school.

acw1213

New

Post by acw1213 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:50 pm

Last edited by acw1213 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:01 pm

NYC Law wrote:
Errzii wrote:How about putting up a similar PSA at the other forums for aspiring law students to not attend at all? Those are the ones that can really still be saved.
That job is already spoke for

hahahahahaha

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:57 pm

acw1213 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Breaking news: studying for the bar has not changed my opinion about whether or not you (yes, you - the one reading this) should stay enrolled in law school.

It concerns me that people may actually be taking advice from an anonymous snowflake on an internet forum.
His advice did more for me during OCI than my school's career services office

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:00 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
acw1213 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Breaking news: studying for the bar has not changed my opinion about whether or not you (yes, you - the one reading this) should stay enrolled in law school.

It concerns me that people may actually be taking advice from an anonymous snowflake on an internet forum.
His advice did more for me during OCI than my school's career services office
Yep, by far. I actually was going through my old PMs earlier tonight and found some from him from my application year. He was very helpful. One of the best posters on TLS, and I wish he was around here more.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:06 am

romothesavior wrote: Yep, by far. I actually was going through my old PMs earlier tonight and found some from him from my application year. He was very helpful. One of the best posters on TLS, and I wish he was around here more.
i dunno how helpful it was, but i told him i was quitting tls during 1L, and he tried to get me to run away with him to mexico.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sillygoose31

New

Post by Sillygoose31 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:48 pm

Mpacc? I would highly reconsider that route as it doesn't lead to a golden road of happiness. If you'd like a taste of the life of an accountant set cardboard cutouts of people around your apartment/house and attempt to initiate conversation with them-that mirrors any Big Four office you will be stepping into when you aren't working in the closets of a Fortune 500 company.

taxnstuff

Bronze

Post by taxnstuff » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:32 pm

big4 accounting is big law hours with half the paycheck starting, gluck with that

ShitLawOrBust

Bronze

Post by ShitLawOrBust » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:11 pm

taxnstuff wrote:big4 accounting is big law hours with half the paycheck starting, gluck with that
lol no

bingbang1025

Bronze

Post by bingbang1025 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:56 pm

thesealocust wrote:It's that wonderful time of year, and I thought I'd make a friendly PSA that the best thing a 1L could do right now may well be to drop out of law school.

First, there aren't jobs for any of you. Sad times. Every year about 50,000 begin law school and the BLS estimates there might be 30,000 entry level legal jobs. In the entire country. And I hope you aren't in debt, because estimates suggest there are only on the order of 5,000 biglaw openings every year.

Second, it doesn't get any better. Your classmates are still going to be law students when you wake up tomorrow. Lawyer is still going to be the most hated profession. We're still going to be #1 in the U.S. News & World Report substance abuse, alcoholism, and depression rankings. Professors are still going to be asshats. Class will still be insufferable. The only thing that wears off after the first year is the naive hope that there might be a brighter future.

Third, sunk cost fallacy economics bla bla bla. The only thing worse than voluntarily giving up money in exchange for a semester of law school is doing so 6 times in a row and then becoming a lawyer. Remember kids: If at first you don't succeed, quit and don't admit to trying.

But thesealocust - aren't you still in law school? - I'm sure you are asking. The answer is yes, but I'm still in law school for the same reason I went to law school. Because I hate myself. Not for love of the law, career prospects, ambition, or because I want to be a lawyer. No no no, thesealocust went to law school because of thesealocust's off-the-charts self-loathing. It brought me to law school and it keeps me here.

But for the rest of you, there may yet be hope.

It's not too late.
lol enjoy poverty!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”