Wheelie bags Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rando

Silver

Wheelie bags

Post by rando » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:05 pm

Whenever I see someone rolling their books to class I want to throw their wheelie bag off a cliff.

Live and let live. I know. I know. I just can't take it. It drives me nuts.

That is all.

sibley

Gold

Re: Wheelie bags

Post by sibley » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:06 pm

I don't like it either. But I might start doing it. depending on how far I have to walk and how heavy my crap is.

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:20 pm

oooohhhhhh. i was just thinking that i should search the boards for thoughts on rollie bags, i really wanted one. sigh.

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:30 pm

adrib wrote:oooohhhhhh. i was just thinking that i should search the boards for thoughts on rollie bags, i really wanted one. sigh.

I won't laugh at you. Hehe.

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:38 pm

do law students carry that much everyday?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:40 pm

twert wrote:do law students carry that much everyday?
The ones with the wheelie bags do...

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:52 pm

id so much rather have a heavy backpack than a heavy wheeliebag..

UnitarySpace

Bronze

Post by UnitarySpace » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:54 pm

I remember when these bags starting becoming popular back when I was in high school. For 2 years you couldn't walk through the halls without tripping on somebody's damn backpack.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:06 pm

+1 I hope these bags burn slowly in hell. If anyone else rolls over my foot while talking on their cell during rush hour, I will throw their bag under the train then turn around and punch them in the face. Repeatedly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:52 pm

I love these threads and all the anti-rolly bag sentiments. Personally I'm tempted to go with a rolly bag because my laptop is gigantic and heavy. Hope you guys will forgive me.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:54 pm

beef wellington wrote:I love these threads and all the anti-rolly bag sentiments. Personally I'm tempted to go with a rolly bag because my laptop is gigantic and heavy. Hope you guys will forgive me.
I want a light one. waiting to see the new macs this year. hoping they're a bit lighter so I don't have to get the tiny-screened ones. wishing that books were lighter. maybe ipad will have a highlighting feature?

I think it depends where one lives and how long one's commute is. it's not unreasonable to save your back. but maybe a nice discreet one that you can just use once in a while and use as a regular bag the rest of the time?

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:02 pm

sibley wrote:
beef wellington wrote:I love these threads and all the anti-rolly bag sentiments. Personally I'm tempted to go with a rolly bag because my laptop is gigantic and heavy. Hope you guys will forgive me.
I want a light one. waiting to see the new macs this year. hoping they're a bit lighter so I don't have to get the tiny-screened ones. wishing that books were lighter. maybe ipad will have a highlighting feature?

I think it depends where one lives and how long one's commute is. it's not unreasonable to save your back. but maybe a nice discreet one that you can just use once in a while and use as a regular bag the rest of the time?
Haha, nope, the one I've got is full-on rolly.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:05 pm

I'm gonna get one of those fold-up bag lady carts. Maybe one with a seat. That way I can just put my bag in it when I want. Yeah.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:09 pm

sibley wrote:

Rolling your backpack is never discreet. Get in the gym and work those back muscles. no wheelie bags!!!

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:12 pm

There's no need for a wheelie bag. Take your books to the local copy shop and have them cut the spine off of your book. A few minutes with a 3 hole punch and a big binder and you can have a text with removable pages. (Or better yet, my property text last term came debound and pre-punched.) That way, you only need a small binder with the relevant pages for each day. (I put the entire week's reading in one 3/4" binder). That and a laptop fit quite easily into a backback. (As a lover of books, it was painful to watch the guillotine chop through the first one....but believe me, it is worth it!)

That said, if you *must* get a wheelie bag, please please please please, if you are even a minute late for class, lower the handle and pick it up before walking into the room. We have one person who is late every day, and while the prof is trying to get going for the day we have to hear RRrrRRrrRRrrRRrr*thunk*RRrrRR*thunk*RRrrRR*thunk* then Click*slam* as the person drags the bag across the floor and up 3 steps to the tier of the seat and then loudly lowers the handle. The lack of respect it shows the prof and classmates drives me batty.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:15 pm

Rotor wrote:There's no need for a wheelie bag. Take your books to the local copy shop and have them cut the spine off of your book. A few minutes with a 3 hole punch and a big binder and you can have a text with removable pages. (Or better yet, my property text last term came debound and pre-punched.) That way, you only need a small binder with the relevant pages for each day. (I put the entire week's reading in one 3/4" binder). That and a laptop fit quite easily into a backback. (As a lover of books, it was painful to watch the guillotine chop through the first one....but believe me, it is worth it!)

That said, if you *must* get a wheelie bag, please please please please, if you are even a minute late for class, lower the handle and pick it up before walking into the room. We have one person who is late every day, and while the prof is trying to get going for the day we have to hear RRrrRRrrRRrrRRrr*thunk*RRrrRR*thunk*RRrrRR*thunk* then Click*slam* as the person drags the bag across the floor and up 3 steps to the tier of the seat and then loudly lowers the handle. The lack of respect it shows the prof and classmates drives me batty.
lol I have a funny story like that. kind of. an international student has issues in a class at my undergrad. one day he raised his hand and whispered halfway across the room that he didn't feel well. the prof had to walk up to him to hear him. and she told him it was fine to leave. a few days later he came in late, went up to the professor during the lecture, and bowed a couple times apologizing for being late. poor culturally displaced kid.

AlasLavinia

New

Post by AlasLavinia » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:07 am

It is only the socially maladjusted and inconsiderate students who use wheeled bags. The bags are loud and cause problems with traffic flow in the hallways. They obstruct the aisles of the classrooms and the vestibules of the bathrooms.

But here is the real thing. There is no need to carry that much crap with you. Ever. Even if you are train commuting. I manage it with a large brief case-style tote. You never need more than one or two case books a day, and it is pointless to bring books unless you are hardcore book briefing or haven't prepared adequately for class ahead of time. Also, casebooks can be bought looseleaf of cut apart and punched to be put into binders. Other than that, what do you need? Small notebook, laptop, pen, lunch? If you are realllllly caring a bunch of shit, maybe some gym clothes and a bottle of water? Come on. A wheeled bag? Get real.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:11 am

Rotor wrote:There's no need for a wheelie bag. Take your books to the local copy shop and have them cut the spine off of your book. A few minutes with a 3 hole punch and a big binder and you can have a text with removable pages. (Or better yet, my property text last term came debound and pre-punched.) That way, you only need a small binder with the relevant pages for each day. (I put the entire week's reading in one 3/4" binder). That and a laptop fit quite easily into a backback. (As a lover of books, it was painful to watch the guillotine chop through the first one....but believe me, it is worth it!)
Fantastic. Making a note of this for next year.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:16 am

sibley wrote:
lol I have a funny story like that. kind of. an international student has issues in a class at my undergrad. one day he raised his hand and whispered halfway across the room that he didn't feel well. the prof had to walk up to him to hear him. and she told him it was fine to leave. a few days later he came in late, went up to the professor during the lecture, and bowed a couple times apologizing for being late. poor culturally displaced kid.
Relevance?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:28 am

rando wrote:
sibley wrote:
Relevance?
Class interruptions.

Connelly

Bronze

Post by Connelly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:21 pm

AlasLavinia wrote: If you are realllllly caring a bunch of shit, maybe some gym clothes and a bottle of water? Come on. A wheeled bag? Get real.
Unlikely within the wheelie community.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:23 pm

Connelly wrote:
AlasLavinia wrote: If you are realllllly caring a bunch of shit, maybe some gym clothes and a bottle of water? Come on. A wheeled bag? Get real.
Unlikely within the wheelie community.
lol =P

mac.empress

Bronze

Post by mac.empress » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:40 pm

There's a community now? Lulz!

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:51 pm

I remember a wheelie bag toter getting really pissed because the elevator was out of order. She couldn't fathom how she could possibly be expected to walk an entire flight of stairs with her bag. :roll:

In any event, I increasingly stopped carrying books to class as law school wore on. It's pretty rare that you really need the text to follow along with.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:58 pm

nealric wrote:I remember a wheelie bag toter getting really pissed because the elevator was out of order. She couldn't fathom how she could possibly be expected to walk an entire flight of stairs with her bag. :roll:

In any event, I increasingly stopped carrying books to class as law school wore on. It's pretty rare that you really need the text to follow along with.
I do not bring books to class anymore. At all.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”