I would love it if people would stop hijacking my notes Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bigcheetah69

New

Re: I would love it if people would stop hijacking my notes

Post by bigcheetah69 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:53 pm

awesomepossum wrote:OP needs to chill the hell out.
Thanks for the opinion

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:04 pm

bigcheetah69 wrote:
Thanks for the opinion
Just buy the shield thing. I've seen it on a commercial.. i'm thinking about buying one for law school too.

bigcheetah69

New

Post by bigcheetah69 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:17 pm

EdmundBurke23 wrote:
bigcheetah69 wrote:
Thanks for the opinion
Just buy the shield thing. I've seen it on a commercial.. i'm thinking about buying one for law school too.
Thanks for the advice. An earlier poster recommended that I just make my font size smaller, which seems like an effective solution. I may eventually resort to the shield screen thing though.

bigcheetah69

New

Post by bigcheetah69 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:36 pm

betasteve wrote:Or, you know, you could just be an adult and talk to your 'friend' about it instead of being passive aggressive.
I would prefer to act like a baby.

SOCRATiC

Bronze

Post by SOCRATiC » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:42 pm

There are some disadvantages to resorting to a direct confrontation; the douche bag could end up talking shit about you to your potential future colleagues. I think it's best to resort to purchasing the "shield" or font size. But font size has an adverse effect on your learning experience, and you will definitely avoid doing things that would harm your learning experience if there are alternatives.

Be smart. Go buy a shield. Is that actually the name of the product in question?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eth3n

Bronze

Post by eth3n » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:53 pm

Considering how useless class notes are...I am constantly shocked when people lower their screens when I am stealing a line.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:53 pm

betasteve wrote:I don't find it coincidental that you are complaining about this and that it seems that you don't have friends to sit by.
I knew I was coming in too late to point this out, betasteve beat me.

If this is real, trust me op, you are a gunner douche if you think you take such great notes that you are getting some kind of advantage over somebody that gchats that probably has higher grades than you.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:59 pm

SOCRATiC wrote:There are some disadvantages to resorting to a direct confrontation; the douche bag could end up talking shit about you to your potential future colleagues. I think it's best to resort to purchasing the "shield" or font size. But font size has an adverse effect on your learning experience, and you will definitely avoid doing things that would harm your learning experience if there are alternatives.

Be smart. Go buy a shield. Is that actually the name of the product in question?
Or, you know, op could get a personality transplant so they won't continue to suck at life.

bigcheetah69

New

Post by bigcheetah69 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:16 pm

A'nold wrote:
betasteve wrote:I don't find it coincidental that you are complaining about this and that it seems that you don't have friends to sit by.

If this is real, trust me op, you are a gunner douche if you think you take such great notes that you are getting some kind of advantage over somebody that gchats that probably has higher grades than you.
I'm not so big of a douche that I would call someone else a douche that I know nothing about. Furthermore, calling me a "gunner douche" for not giving all my notes away to people for no reason is absurd.

Consider the following example illustrating the ridiculousness of your unwarranted attack:

You know someone from law school that you have been friendly with, but you don't know well. They are in your Constitutional Law course. They never go to class. Instead, they spend that time having fun, doing things they like to do--things you would also like to do, but that you don't do because you are in class working.

Each week after skipping class for fun, they ask you to send them the notes you worked to get. Do you do it? If not, then by your definition, you are a "gunner douche."

The previous example is analogous to my situation. Like the student who never goes to class, the girl who sits next to me NEVER pays attention in class. Like the student who asks for notes each week, the girl who sits next to me waits for me to type then TAKES my notes (so it is actually much worse).

I guess everyone is a gunner douche who doesn't give their work away for free.

Oh, and by the way I know for a fact I get much better grades than her.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:19 pm

Learn a foreign language and take your notes in that...

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:21 pm

bigcheetah69 wrote:
A'nold wrote:

I'm not so big of a douche that I would call someone else a douche that I know nothing about. Furthermore, calling me a "gunner douche" for not giving all my notes away to people for no reason is absurd.

Consider the following example illustrating the ridiculousness of your unwarranted attack:

You know someone from law school that you have been friendly with, but you don't know well. They are in your Constitutional Law course. They never go to class. Instead, they spend that time having fun, doing things they like to do--things you would also like to do, but that you don't do because you are in class working.

Each week after skipping class for fun, they ask you to send them the notes you worked to get. Do you do it? If not, then by your definition, you are a "gunner douche."

The previous example is analogous to my situation.
I hope you don't use that kind of "analogous reasoning" on exams.......

bigcheetah69

New

Post by bigcheetah69 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:22 pm

eth3n wrote:Considering how useless class notes are...I am constantly shocked when people lower their screens when I am stealing a line.
I find great class notes a very effective substitute for reading the casebook.

And when I say great, I don't mean that I am a genius and that I am writing these amazing things down. I simply mean that I listen intently throughout the entire class, and write down all information that I can use on the exam.
Last edited by bigcheetah69 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:23 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Snuffie

New

Post by Snuffie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:24 pm

betasteve wrote:Or, you know, you could just be an adult and talk to your 'friend' about it instead of being passive aggressive.
Sorry OP, but TITCR.

I take it that you trying to avoid making an enemy in law school. Understood. Are you expecting deliberate acts like using white text or a installing a screen shield to yield different results? They won't. Imagine you're sitting behind some dude with a screen shield, in a CLASSROOM no less, or typing into his computer, yet no words are visible. If I were sitting behind this individual, rest assured I'd create a TLS thread of my own. :)

If I were in your situation, I would parlay this perceived offense to my advantage. Use it as an icebreaker or a talking point. You'll still be annoyed, sure, but this impromptu foray into diplomacy will benefit you down the road. Oh, and if that female classmate does it for you, well, sir, in the dating world we call that an 'in.'

One final suggestion: In future classes, consider paying more attention to the lecturer and less to those sitting next to you.

Just my .02. Good luck.

taw856

Bronze

Post by taw856 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:24 pm

bigcheetah69 wrote:Oh, and by the way I know for a fact I get much better grades than her.
So what's the problem?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:31 pm

No matter what op does he/she will look douchey. There is, however, a reason for that. It's called being a douche.

bigcheetah69

New

Post by bigcheetah69 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:34 pm

taw856 wrote:
bigcheetah69 wrote:Oh, and by the way I know for a fact I get much better grades than her.
So what's the problem?
I basically feel like she is stealing from me, and I don't like it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bigcheetah69

New

Post by bigcheetah69 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:36 pm

A'nold wrote:
bigcheetah69 wrote:
A'nold wrote:

My example and analogy was quite effective, as evidenced by your lack of a substantive response.

And seriously dude, how in world can you possibly think I am a douche for caring about someone effectively stealing my class notes???

Snuffie

New

Post by Snuffie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:38 pm

bigcheetah69 wrote:And seriously dude, how in world can you possibly think I am a douche for caring about someone effectively stealing my class notes???
Because you're surveying the forum for a resolution that does not involve a direct intervention. Just a guess.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:40 pm

bigcheetah69 wrote:
And seriously dude, how in world can you possibly think I am a douche for caring about someone effectively stealing my class notes???
caring =/= crying on the internet. Moreover, as has been pointed out before, you have a laughably high opinion of yourself if you think that your class notes are so valuable as to merit this level of consternation.

bigcheetah69

New

Post by bigcheetah69 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:40 pm

betasteve wrote:
SOCRATiC wrote:There are some disadvantages to resorting to a direct confrontation; the douche bag could end up talking shit about you to your potential future colleagues. I think it's best to resort to purchasing the "shield" or font size. But font size has an adverse effect on your learning experience, and you will definitely avoid doing things that would harm your learning experience if there are alternatives.

Wait... so the shield wouldn't prompt the "douche" to talk shit about you to your "potential future colleagues?"

Again... If this really bothers you, just act like a fucking adult and say, "Hey, I don't mind you grabbing my notes if you missed something or I will happily send them to you if you have to miss class, but I feel a little taken advantage of when you don't pay attention in class, but copy my notes instead."
Last edited by bigcheetah69 on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bigcheetah69

New

Post by bigcheetah69 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:43 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
bigcheetah69 wrote:
caring =/= crying on the internet. Moreover, as has been pointed out before, you have a laughably high opinion of yourself if you think that your class notes are so valuable as to merit this level of consternation.
Like I said before, its the fact that I feel like I am being stolen from than disturbs me. It has nothing to do with her gaining my secret super amazing class notes.

When I said good class notes before, all I mean is that I pay attention intently throughout class, and understand what is being said so I write down correct information that is geared towards exam success.
If you follow the professor well during class and are committed to paying attention the entire time, your class notes are likely just as good as mine.

As far as the caring/crying thing, yeah I agree its pretty ridiculous I am actually taking the time to post so many times on this thread. However, it is proving to be quite an amusing break from working on my property outline.
Last edited by bigcheetah69 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:44 pm

A'nold wrote:
bigcheetah69 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
betasteve wrote: I knew I was coming in too late to point this out, betasteve beat me.

My example and analogy was quite effective, as evidenced by your lack of a substantive response.

1. That wasn't a good analogy and I don't have to prove myself on here by showing you why. You, on the other hand, are a new posted that should actually make sure to use better arguments. 2. By you using the word "stealing" to describe your "almost friend" just shows how clueless you are.

I take, what I think are, the most effective notes in the entire school. I take notes when no one else it typing and am not typing when everyone else is, i.e., I take my notes w/ an eye for the exam only. Every single person I sit next to glances at my screen. Let's see if they can do with my notes what I do/or do better on the exam. Based on my class rank (I say this humbly), that does not seem like a possibility right now.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:48 pm

A'nold wrote: 1. That wasn't a good analogy and I don't have to prove myself on here by showing you why. You, on the other hand, are a new posted that should actually make sure to use better arguments. 2. By you using the word "stealing" to describe your "almost friend" just shows how clueless you are.

I take, what I think are, the most effective notes in the entire school. I take notes when no one else it typing and am not typing when everyone else is, i.e., I take my notes w/ an eye for the exam only. Every single person I sit next to glances at my screen. Let's see if they can do with my notes what I do/or do better on the exam. Based on my class rank (I say this humbly), that does not seem like a possibility right now.
A'nold, you always find a way to make my day. :wink:

I vote for the screen shield personally. If someone called me a douche for it, he or she could go pound salt and take their own damn notes. I think, therefore I am apparently douche-tastic.

bigcheetah69

New

Post by bigcheetah69 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:49 pm

A'nold, please explain the flaws of my argument. I'd be interested to hear it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”