Bad Grades...Need Advice! Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mamamia

New

Bad Grades...Need Advice!

Post by mamamia » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:44 pm

Hey guys,

I just recently received my grades for this semester and needless to say they were terrible. This fall I was diagnosed with a chronic illness that left me very ill the last half of the semester. My Dean was extremely supportive and I even received an extension on my finals. However that was not enough. I got two C+s, a B and a B+. When I saw my grades, I was initially happy that I passed everything. Then I was disappointed because my GPA from my first year in law school was already below the median (I received mostly Bs). Currently my GPA is slightly less than a 3.0 and I am confused as how to best proceed with job options. I did OCI at the beginning of the fall but was unsuccessful so I had already given up working in BIGLAW. However, many government and public interest jobs are also really competitive. My Dean suggested that I consider taking a leave of absence but with the nature of my illness, it is impossible to predict what days will be good and what days will be bad. I could take a whole semester off and be totally fine, then come back and suddenly be sick again. Going to law school has been a dream of mine for some time and I've always hoped to work for a US Attorney's Office one day. I know that my path is going to be more difficult now because of my performance but I was wondering if anyone has any advice as to what kinds of jobs I should be searching for.

jp0094

Bronze

Re: Bad Grades...Need Advice!

Post by jp0094 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:56 pm

Could you give us more information? It'll be hard to give specific advice without school, year, etc.

mamamia

New

Post by mamamia » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:17 pm

I'm a 2L at a top 14. Currently my GPA is a 2.9, and I think the median at my school is a 3.3 (B+ curve).

emoticons777

Bronze

Post by emoticons777 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:36 pm

I'd take the risk and stay. Chances of you returning, if you leave, seem slim - because you'll likely still be sick. Leaving would make the last 1.5 years worthless, might as well stick it out. Also, assuming this sickness is something that will be around for a while, at least as an attorney you can try to do some solo work and keep that at a level that your body can handle. (Note, I'm not saying that becoming a solo attorney will be easy or even successful, but a JD gives you options you may not have otherwise.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”