Poll: Lowest class rank with which you'd be satisfied? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Lowest class rank with which you'd be satisfied?

6%
5%
5%
15%
18%
25%
35%
50%
30%
75%
2%
Don't care about my grades
3%

Total votes: 324

CE2JD

Silver

Re: Poll: Lowest class rank with which you'd be satisfied?

Post by CE2JD » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:59 pm

thesealocust wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:I don't care about class rank, but I'd like to be involved in law review and moot court.
I don't care about class rank = I got bad grades
Telling other people who are being discrete that they got grades = I got bad grades
:cry: :cry: :cry:

It's okay, I was planning on dropping out anyway.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:59 pm

Top 10% would still give me a shoot at the COA. Anything lower than that and I'd be pretty disappointed. But I'm an 0L, so who knows.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:01 am

n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:03 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:Top 10% would still give me a shoot at the COA. Anything lower than that and I'd be pretty disappointed. But I'm an 0L, so who knows.
so you're setting yourself up for disappointment?

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:04 am

superserial wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Top 10% would still give me a shoot at the COA. Anything lower than that and I'd be pretty disappointed. But I'm an 0L, so who knows.
Ambition is a great motivator. But I guess you're pov works too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:06 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
superserial wrote:
you can be ambitious and realistic.

Burberry by Burberry

Bronze

Post by Burberry by Burberry » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:07 am

This:
ihatelaw wrote:as long as i can achieve my career goals ill be satisfied.
TheTopBloke wrote:but I'd like to be involved in law review and moot court.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:14 am

superserial wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
superserial wrote:
Is it realistic to automatically assume that I'm not capable of being top10% at whatever T14 I end up at?

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:15 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
superserial wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
superserial wrote: so you're setting yourself up for disappointment?
Is it realistic to automatically assume that I'm not capable of being top10% at whatever T14 I end up at?
Yes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:22 am

100% of 0Ls think this going in, which means that 90% of them will inevitably be disappointed. You could be in that 10%, but odds are 9 out of 10 you're not.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:30 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
I didn't say that.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:42 am

Helmholtz wrote:#1 or bust
If you ain't first, you're last.

Shake and bake.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:54 am

Kretzy wrote:

Shake and bake.
"I was high when I said that. That doesn't even make sense. You can be 2nd, 3rd, 4th hell even 5th"

it all depends on where I end up going to school/getting accepted to:

Top 10 ~ 15%
Top 6 ~ 1/3
Top 3 ~ just happy to be here

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ihatelaw

Bronze

Post by ihatelaw » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:58 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:

wrong question. you're clearly capable of being top 10%. the thing is most everyone in your law school is likely capable of that. being capable and getting there are two very different things.

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:05 am

ihatelaw wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:

wrong question. you're clearly capable of being top 10%. the thing is most everyone in your law school is likely capable of that. being capable and getting there are two very different things.
I'm with him on that though. This whole idea of going into law school expecting to do average and thinking you will only do average sounds like a great way to do average. FWIW I am getting mixed comments on this subject from people. Someone on here was saying that they were at NYU and that they treated it like a 40 hour a week job, and that that was enough to get into the top 10 percent. Alexandria said that most of her and her group of lsd people who went into Michigan with the mindset of succeeding and working hard all came out at worst top 20 percent (many she said were in the top 10 percent). I'm just against this whole going into law school expecting to fail, that just seems like about the worst thing you can do.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:51 am

kurama20 wrote:
ihatelaw wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:

I'm with him on that though. This whole idea of going into law school expecting to do average and thinking you will only do average sounds like a great way to do average. FWIW I am getting mixed comments on this subject from people. Someone on here was saying that they were at NYU and that they treated it like a 40 hour a week job, and that that was enough to get into the top 10 percent. Alexandria said that most of her and her group of lsd people who went into Michigan with the mindset of succeeding and working hard all came out at worst top 20 percent (many she said were in the top 10 percent). I'm just against this whole going into law school expecting to fail, that just seems like about the worst thing you can do.
I know I'll be going to a school with incredibly smart and accomplished people but I'm not too worried about it.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:55 am

Kohinoor wrote:There is something fucked about a test where you can say 'I got a C or an A'
This is one of those rare moments where I say to myself "Kohinoor, you are absolutely, 100% correct."

I'm going for grades that allow me to graduate with a job in 2.5 more years. No idea where that is. Higher would be nice, but not necessary.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sperry

Bronze

Post by sperry » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:07 pm

kurama20 wrote:
ihatelaw wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:

I've met maybe 2 or 3 people in my class who didn't put an insane amount of effort into school.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:10 pm

n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:27 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
kurama20 wrote:I'm with him on that though. This whole idea of going into law school expecting to do average and thinking you will only do average sounds like a great way to do average. FWIW I am getting mixed comments on this subject from people. Someone on here was saying that they were at NYU and that they treated it like a 40 hour a week job, and that that was enough to get into the top 10 percent. Alexandria said that most of her and her group of lsd people who went into Michigan with the mindset of succeeding and working hard all came out at worst top 20 percent (many she said were in the top 10 percent). I'm just against this whole going into law school expecting to fail, that just seems like about the worst thing you can do.
I know I'll be going to a school with incredibly smart and accomplished people but I'm not too worried about it.
My God, you two are insufferable.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:31 pm

thesealocust wrote:
sperry wrote:I've met maybe 2 or 3 people in my class who didn't put an insane amount of effort into school.
This.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:32 pm

Kretzy wrote:

Shake and bake.
+1

I'm more like Magic Man though.

Now you see me. Now you don't.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:34 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
kurama20 wrote:I'm with him on that though. This whole idea of going into law school expecting to do average and thinking you will only do average sounds like a great way to do average. FWIW I am getting mixed comments on this subject from people. Someone on here was saying that they were at NYU and that they treated it like a 40 hour a week job, and that that was enough to get into the top 10 percent. Alexandria said that most of her and her group of lsd people who went into Michigan with the mindset of succeeding and working hard all came out at worst top 20 percent (many she said were in the top 10 percent). I'm just against this whole going into law school expecting to fail, that just seems like about the worst thing you can do.
Tarded 0Ls, you don't yet realize how hard it is to predict law school grades. This isn't a game of raw intelligence + how hard/smart you work = your grade. This isn't undergrad. And even if it were, chances are your level of intelligence and work ethic will not be anything special relative to the populace of top law schools.

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:37 pm

dresden doll wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
sperry wrote:I've met maybe 2 or 3 people in my class who didn't put an insane amount of effort into school.
This.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:01 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
Tarded 0Ls, you don't yet realize how hard it is to predict law school grades. This isn't a game of raw intelligence + how hard/smart you work = your grade. This isn't undergrad. And even if it were, chances are your level of intelligence and work ethic will not be anything special relative to the populace of top law schools.
I'm not saying I WILL be Top10%. I would like to be and will strive to be, outside of that, what more can I do? That's all. Jesus. You're all so annoying now that you're getting grades/waiting for grades.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”