Transfering Down? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
green

Bronze

Transfering Down?

Post by green » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:03 am

I'm a 1L at UVa right now. However, I'm originally from Boston and am now 100% sure I want to return there when I graduate. I wasn't very happy at Virginia during my first semester, and I think it is going to show on my first semester grades. I miss Boston a lot and would like to continue law school there if I can, but I would need to transfer to a lower ranked school (probably BU) because I doubt I'll have the grades to transfer to Harvard. Is taking a rankings hit like that ill-advised? I know it means I'll probably have a harder time with OCI, will have to make a higher class rank, might have problems getting on a journal, etc, but I'm just wondering if it would still be worth it to transfer out of a T14 into a school in a city that you like more and want to practice in. If so, what kind of 1L grades do you need for such a transfer? Thanks!

NYVA311

Bronze

Re: Transfering Down?

Post by NYVA311 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:06 am

Considering they're so close in the rankings, you were dissatisfied with Virginia (a massive change from Boston), and are 100% sure you want to return to Boston and practice there, it makes absolute sense to transfer. I can't make an argument for you to stay in Virginia.

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:23 am

How does UVA place in Boston in comparison to BU?

Also, since you (presumably) don't have your grades back yet, its best not to jump the gun. If your grades come back semi-golden, it may be better to suck it up and stay at UVA.

green

Bronze

Post by green » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:39 am

I appreciate the optimism, but I know I choked pretty badly on one of my exams. I don't attribute that wholly to not being happy, but it was probably a factor.

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:40 am

NYVA311 wrote:Considering they're so close in the rankings, you were dissatisfied with Virginia (a massive change from Boston), and are 100% sure you want to return to Boston and practice there, it makes absolute sense to transfer. I can't make an argument for you to stay in Virginia.
Say what? That being said.... OP I think that if you are 100 percent sure AND you get a very nice financial aid package (or comparable) from BU doing it wouldn't be crazy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:41 am

green wrote:I'm a 1L at UVa right now. However, I'm originally from Boston and am now 100% sure I want to return there when I graduate. I wasn't very happy at Virginia during my first semester, and I think it is going to show on my first semester grades. I miss Boston a lot and would like to continue law school there if I can, but I would need to transfer to a lower ranked school (probably BU) because I doubt I'll have the grades to transfer to Harvard. Is taking a rankings hit like that ill-advised? I know it means I'll probably have a harder time with OCI, will have to make a higher class rank, might have problems getting on a journal, etc, but I'm just wondering if it would still be worth it to transfer out of a T14 into a school in a city that you like more and want to practice in. If so, what kind of 1L grades do you need for such a transfer? Thanks!
y?

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:42 am

Bottom third at UVA > 25-100 percentile at BU, IMO.

Consider this.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:43 am

I just question BU or BC coming through with financial aid especially if the OP choked on exams as he believes he did.

If, for example, the OP did choke on any particular exam(s), then it may be hard to crack any of the Boston elite, even coming out of Virginia. I guess the question becomes whether Virginia or BC/BU will place better into the smaller / middle-market firms in Boston.

My take is to stick UVA out if at all possible ... here's also to hoping for the best semester grades (to us all).
Last edited by chadwick218 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:43 am

Halibut6 wrote:Bottom third at UVA > 25-100 percentile at BU, IMO.

Consider this.
Consider this before considering that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

green

Bronze

Post by green » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:47 am

Kohinoor wrote:
green wrote:I'm a 1L at UVa right now. However, I'm originally from Boston and am now 100% sure I want to return there when I graduate. I wasn't very happy at Virginia during my first semester, and I think it is going to show on my first semester grades. I miss Boston a lot and would like to continue law school there if I can, but I would need to transfer to a lower ranked school (probably BU) because I doubt I'll have the grades to transfer to Harvard. Is taking a rankings hit like that ill-advised? I know it means I'll probably have a harder time with OCI, will have to make a higher class rank, might have problems getting on a journal, etc, but I'm just wondering if it would still be worth it to transfer out of a T14 into a school in a city that you like more and want to practice in. If so, what kind of 1L grades do you need for such a transfer? Thanks!
y?
Most of my friends are from Boston, I didn't really know anyone coming into UVa, I don't think I really mesh well with the student body, not much to do in Charlottesville, etc. I just like Boston more.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:52 am

green wrote: Most of my friends are from Boston, I didn't really know anyone coming into UVa, I don't think I really mesh well with the student body, not much to do in Charlottesville, etc. I just like Boston more.

Ok, this is probably completely unnecessary, but as you're thinking about leaving a great school...I'm just going to say it.

These are terrible reasons to be miserable somewhere. You're homesick. Congrats, every 10 year old that went to camp has felt the same way. Most people don't know anyone when they move to a new place. Thankfully, you're in an environment that is basically engineering to help you make friends. Everyone can find a niche anywhere, though some need to work on it more than others. Make new friends, try new things.

Charlottesville has plenty to do, though of course not as much as a big city. I know you realized this going into UVA.

Put on your big kid underpants, and even if you decide to apply to transfer, work you ass off next semester both socially and academically. Honestly, it just sounds like you're homesick and got the academic shit kicked out of you. Man, sympathies. But don't run away.

misformafia

New

Post by misformafia » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:56 am

kurama20 wrote:
NYVA311 wrote:Considering they're so close in the rankings, you were dissatisfied with Virginia (a massive change from Boston), and are 100% sure you want to return to Boston and practice there, it makes absolute sense to transfer. I can't make an argument for you to stay in Virginia.
Say what? That being said.... OP I think that if you are 100 percent sure AND you get a very nice financial aid package (or comparable) from BU doing it wouldn't be crazy.

How often does this happen for transfers?

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:57 am

Pearalegal wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:Bottom third at UVA > 25-100 percentile at BU, IMO.

Consider this.
Consider this before considering that.
:)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:58 am

misformafia wrote:
kurama20 wrote:

I've heard its extremely hard to get money. Thats just from my attorneys, though...not any hard data.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:02 am

Pearalegal wrote:
misformafia wrote:
kurama20 wrote:

I've heard its extremely hard to get money. Thats just from my attorneys, though...not any hard data.
Perhaps Pless may have confirmed this online last year with respect to UIUC, but I have heard this as well having attended a couple LSAC fairs in the past. BU/BC have very little reason to offer you any money. First, you are not going to help their profile. Second, it's unlikely that you are going to give any boost to their job placement profile either (especially if your grades are marginal).

green

Bronze

Post by green » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:27 am

Tuition isn't an issue for me, especially since I barely had any financial aid going into UVa anyway. People seem to think it's better to stick with UVa, though, so I'll think about this as the next semester goes on.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:47 am

Pearalegal wrote:
green wrote: Most of my friends are from Boston, I didn't really know anyone coming into UVa, I don't think I really mesh well with the student body, not much to do in Charlottesville, etc. I just like Boston more.

Ok, this is probably completely unnecessary, but as you're thinking about leaving a great school...I'm just going to say it.

These are terrible reasons to be miserable somewhere. You're homesick. Congrats, every 10 year old that went to camp has felt the same way. Most people don't know anyone when they move to a new place. Thankfully, you're in an environment that is basically engineering to help you make friends. Everyone can find a niche anywhere, though some need to work on it more than others. Make new friends, try new things.

Charlottesville has plenty to do, though of course not as much as a big city. I know you realized this going into UVA.

Put on your big kid underpants, and even if you decide to apply to transfer, work you ass off next semester both socially and academically. Honestly, it just sounds like you're homesick and got the academic shit kicked out of you. Man, sympathies. But don't run away.
This. She said it better than I could have.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:55 am

misformafia wrote:
kurama20 wrote:

Very close to never (unless you are talking about need based aid, but I would imagine BU wouldn't be able to afford to give out the need based aid that UVA does because of endowment). Honestly, paying sticker at UVA or any school outside of HYS nowadays is a pretty shitty deal with the economy, which makes paying sticker at BU just a terrible idea. I guess you just have to ask yourself what's worse: possibly being miserable for a couple more years for 8 months a year or possibly being miserable for 20+ years and having a tough time repaying student loans while working at a job you hate?

sperry

Bronze

Post by sperry » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:02 am

Pearalegal wrote:

Meh. I can empathize somewhat. My law school is incredibly cliquish, and I don't hang out with anyone I go to school with. That being said, do you really have enough time to socialize to make it worth your while to transfer because you don't like the people. I mean honestly, school was 16 weeks for me, the last 6 of which I had no time to socialize even if I wanted to. Yeah, the first 10 weren't particularly fun, but I made do.

Charlottesville is pretty miserable though. UVA was one of my top choices for undergrad until the admitted students weekend when I actually was in Charlottesville. That town was just nothing.

Still, if you are doing bad at UVA and don't do any better second semester, a transfer probably wouldn't hurt. I mean if career options for the bottom of UVA are going to be basically nothing, so transferring to BU can't really have much of an impact.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:06 am

Pearalegal wrote:

<3

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:30 am

You sound like a wet blanket.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Wahoo1L

New

Post by Wahoo1L » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:23 pm

Why don't you try to transfer to Penn or NYU? It seems like your problem was that you don't like small cities and Philly or New York might be more enjoyable to you. I'm not sure how high in the class you'd have to be but if you're around the median (even slightly below), it's worth applying. For NYU, I've known people who were around top 1/3 get in and it'd probably be worth applying if you have a 3.3 or above.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:24 pm

Transfers got completely slaughtered this year at OCI.

You have a much better shot at a Boston firm job if you pull up your bootstraps and end up around median at UVA versus going all-in on BU.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:30 pm

sperry wrote:Charlottesville is pretty miserable though. UVA was one of my top choices for undergrad until the admitted students weekend when I actually was in Charlottesville. That town was just nothing.

TonyDigital

Bronze

Post by TonyDigital » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:39 pm

Pearalegal wrote: ....

Agree 100% with Pearalegal...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”