Florida International University 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
smh

New

Florida International University 2014

Post by smh » Mon May 16, 2011 1:37 pm

I didn't see a thread for FIU 2014. Is any one else planning on going there this fall? If so, is anyone else an out of state student? I am from SC.

Rocky111

New

Re: Florida International University 2014

Post by Rocky111 » Mon May 16, 2011 2:49 pm

Hey there,

I just replied to your other post about housing. I'll be starting up in the fall too, however, my parents live about an hour away from FIU and I just graduated from USF in Tampa, Florida. Have you found any decent apartments yet? When do you plan on heading down there and actually visiting places?

Bmg08d

New

Post by Bmg08d » Wed May 18, 2011 1:42 pm

Hey! I'll be attending FIU in the fall as well. I'm from Port St. Lucie, Fla.

I'm not sure where else the both of you got accepted, but the other schools that accepted me really have their stuff together. There's admitted student websites, facebook groups, online chats with faculty/alumni, emails re: news, roommate matching, and all kinds of stuff. I'd like to get the ball rolling at FIU even if I have to start something myself. Add me on facebook if you could and I'll try to get a group going. bmg08d@fsu.edu.

Does anyone know where or at least what area of Miami they will be living in yet?

Rocky111

New

Post by Rocky111 » Wed May 18, 2011 2:10 pm

Yes, I have been searching forums and things like that trying to find a group of other students attending in the fall. I added you on Facebook Bmg. A facebook group would be great, kind of put names with faces for next year.

smh

New

Post by smh » Wed May 18, 2011 8:50 pm

I have been looking at apartments and condos online for the past couple of weeks. I'm not sure if we want to buy a condo or just rent an apartment. My main problem is that the apartments I like are either too far from school or are out of my price range. It's getting to be really frustrating. I am going to Miami the second week in July to look for a place to live.

Bmg: a facebook group would be great! Let me know if you make one. I am going to look for you on facebook now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rocky111

New

Post by Rocky111 » Wed May 18, 2011 11:52 pm

Everything is either far or pricey, luckily there are a lot of houses in the area. I also was talking to someone that is a senior at FIU now, they recommended looking into Fountainebleau Milton Apartments.

Some things that are near campus, but relatively inexpensive (more than I am paying now in Tampa, but cheaper than a lot of other things in Miami).
2 bedroom condo for rent $1100 http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/200-S ... 424_zpid/#
4 bedroom house $2100 http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/136** ... 126_zpid/#

I don't like the idea of splitting a lease though, especially during the first year of law school.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Mon May 23, 2011 7:02 pm

I'm a 3L at FIU. Let me know if you have any questions.

Rocky111

New

Post by Rocky111 » Tue May 24, 2011 3:56 pm

Rbgrocio, where are some of the prominent places to live near FIU? Are there any that newcomers should specifically look into?

And looking back towards your 1L year, do you think a prelaw 101 type class would be beneficial?

Thanks!

izzy2977

New

Post by izzy2977 » Wed May 25, 2011 7:56 pm

Im attending FIU law in the fall as well. A facebook group sounds like a good idea. Hope to meet you guys during the year!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Wed May 25, 2011 8:44 pm

Rocky111 wrote:Rbgrocio, where are some of the prominent places to live near FIU? Are there any that newcomers should specifically look into?

And looking back towards your 1L year, do you think a prelaw 101 type class would be beneficial?

Thanks!

I never took any prelaw courses. I did Journalism and Mass Comm and worked as a reported for a major local newspaper. I did not even know what a cite to a case was. My first day of class my professor asked me what was the cite to a case, and I understood "site." My answer was New York. That is pretty embarrassing, but I did not really care. Now I'm in law review, top of my class and have a job. The point of all this is that I think not knowing anything about law will not necessarily hinder you in any way.

In terms of places to live.... ummm... you have some ppl in law school who choose to live by the beach or in Brickell. I do not recommend that. Rent there is very high and u want to make sure you live like a student so that when you finish school you are not forced to continue living like a student so you can pay your loans. Save now, so you can live better later.

I ended up buying a condo because it was sooo much cheaper than renting. I, however, live in Miami and plan to stay here, so buying one just made sense.

Rocky111

New

Post by Rocky111 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:49 pm

Alright, thank you for the insight. I plan on living as inexpensively as possible, avoiding loans is certainly a priority (along with having a quiet study place and performing well in school). It worked out very well for undergrad so I would like to continue this way. However, I am having a hard time finding anything in/near Miami for as cheap as I live now.

drawingwlight

New

Post by drawingwlight » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I just found this forum, I think it would be cool if you guys are still planning on doing a facebook group for FIU class of 2014, other schools have one. A little about me, I am an international student did my undergrad at FIU and looking forward to starting law school in August.

:)

KJenae

New

Post by KJenae » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:18 pm

I know its kind of late, but I just found this forum...if anyone is still looking for housing I found the FIU classifieds helpful (http://classifieds.fiu.edu/). You can post ads for rooms/roommates or just check out ads for places around Miami. I am going to be a 1L too and didn't know anything about living in Miami so I called the admissions office and they gave me that website....I found somewhere to stay pretty easily after that.

smh

New

Post by smh » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi KJenae,

Are you an out of state student or are you from somewhere else in florida. I am finding that a lot of people who go here are from Florida. I am not, I am from South Carolina. Looking for someone else who is out of state... :)

Stephanie

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”