TSU School of Law TMSL Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Applehead777

New

TSU School of Law TMSL Class of 2014

Post by Applehead777 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:33 pm

I didn't see this school listed. I know this is Top Law and all but has anyone decided to accept an offer of admittance to Thurgood Marshall? Everything I have read on these forums has been negative about this school. Please keep comments productive here. If you want to start a school bashing thread, please start one elsewhere. Lets use this one for those students that want to network.

life_kluda

New

Re: TSU School of Law TMSL Class of 2014

Post by life_kluda » Fri May 13, 2011 12:14 am

I got accepted, but I still do not know where to attend. I have a undergraduate gpa of 4.01 from ASU. I am very competitive. I had heard some about their "odd" grading system. I read something about a 1L student achieving a 90 something and it dropped to a C from the curve. That would make me rage. Any thoughts?

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:35 am

What's a Thurgood Marshall?

Applehead777

New

Post by Applehead777 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:51 am

life_kluda wrote:I got accepted, but I still do not know where to attend. I have a undergraduate gpa of 4.01 from ASU. I am very competitive. I had heard some about their "odd" grading system. I read something about a 1L student achieving a 90 something and it dropped to a C from the curve. That would make me rage. Any thoughts?
I read that to, and it scares the shnit out of me too! Unfortunately we don't have the whole story. perhaps that was only the test score (50% of the grade) and the other half played a factor in the final grade. i don't know - just speculating. I have read the grading explanation on TSU's site several times and cannot say that I understand it clearly.

I too had a high undergrad GPA (3.89), but didn't perform well on the LSAT. For me, TMSL is the only offer I received that is financially feasible. I have accepted the offer and am working on relocating. Their 1L grading policy continues t be my greatest concern, but I am going to give it my best effort and pray that the school is as dedicated to fairness as they are to diversity!

Thanks for the reply! If anyone else can clarify the 1L grading policy - please do!

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sun May 15, 2011 11:18 am

dpk711 wrote:What's a Thurgood Marshall?
Don't troll the thread. This is an open warning to everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ladyj

New

Post by ladyj » Thu May 26, 2011 6:44 pm

Thurgood Marshall has some great professors. The 1L curve is not as extreme as some may make it seem. The idea of somebody getting a 95 average and getting a C is not very likely at all. That person likely had a high final exam grade or something else not an overall grade.

Your grade from your professor is 50% of your total average and your comprehensive exam grade is the other 50%. Then they apply the curve.

happy187

Bronze

Post by happy187 » Tue May 31, 2011 8:10 pm

TSU is basically a joke in the Houston Legal market (not bashing just stating the truth). However, it is possible to find a job out of TSU, if you are one of the top 3-5 students, not percent, in your class.

Unless you want to go Solo, I would push really hard to do well to transfer. Not sure where you are relocating from but just do lots of research considering it will be really tough to find good employment in Houston, I imagine getting a job outside of Houston will be 10x harder.

I completely understand the argument that you go where you were accepted. That is why I am at STCL and not UH. With that said pm if you need any help with relocating as I have lived in Houston for the last 10 years.

GL.

ladyj

New

Post by ladyj » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:28 pm

That is truly just your opinion that TSU sucks. Yes there are some that do not think highly of the school, BUT I am proud to say that more and more employers are realizing the great product that the school produces in students. Thurgood Marshall School of Law has achieved great success and accomplishments in winning mock trial and moot court competitions over other theoretically highly ranked schools. In the work force the students perform just as well as other students if not better.

Lawschool and your education is what you make of it. TSU has some wonderful professors, some of which even teach subjects of the bar prep courses for both Barbri and PMBR.

The legal community should be treated like a family and bashing of schools is not necessary.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”