Mercer University Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Rooney

Silver

Mercer University Class of 2014

Post by Rooney » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:36 am

Segueing from the Mercer 2011 thread in the Apps section. In the next few weeks, I'll also be meeting with some old highschool friends who graduated from Mercer law in 2009. I can post some of their feedback here.

sarhuh

New

Re: Mercer University Class of 2014

Post by sarhuh » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:47 pm

Yes, Please do!

Any clue as to where you are going to live?? Im in the beginning stages of trying to find a place!

Rooney

Silver

Post by Rooney » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:06 pm

Will do. Both, I might add, have been employed since graduation, both at prestigious firms in GA.

As for living, I've heard Orange St and College St are prime places. I'm going to look at places the first week of May.

atlantisdan

New

Post by atlantisdan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:09 am

I'm moving over here from the 2011 thread as well.

I'm also in the beginning stages of apt searching too.

For anyone that hasn't been on the Other thread, my name is Danny, I look forward to meeting as many people as possible. I'm coming from Tennessee and don't expect to know anyone, so might as well start early. :)

Rooney

Silver

Post by Rooney » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:40 am

atlantisdan wrote:I'm moving over here from the 2011 thread as well.

For anyone that hasn't been on the Other thread, my name is Danny, I look forward to meeting as many people as possible. I'm coming from Tennessee and don't expect to know anyone, so might as well start early. :)
Look forward to meeting you; I doubt anyone will know too many people to begin with anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sarhuh

New

Post by sarhuh » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:41 am

Rooney wrote:

Look forward to meeting you; I doubt anyone will know too many people to begin with anyway.

Same here as well! I don't know anyone but am looking forward to it! I'm Sarah by the way :)
when are you guys thinking you will move down? Im thinking mid/late July?

Rooney

Silver

Post by Rooney » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:49 am

sarhuh wrote:
Rooney wrote:

Same here as well! I don't know anyone but am looking forward to it! I'm Sarah by the way :)
I'm moving up last week of July. If you're moving down, I'd guess from ATL?
Last edited by Rooney on Wed May 04, 2011 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atlantisdan

New

Post by atlantisdan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:33 pm

IProba
Rooney wrote:
sarhuh wrote:
Rooney wrote:

Same here as well! I don't know anyone but am looking forward to

it! I'm Sarah by the way :)
^ Jonathan. I'm moving up last week of July. If you're moving down, I'd guess from ATL?

I'm probably moving down last week of july as well. Depends on how well my summer job(s) go...

chardy

New

Post by chardy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:28 pm

Hi guys...my name is Chance. I'm really excited about getting started. I assume I'll be moving down (from ATL btw) the same time everyone else is saying in late July or so. Please feel free to share your experiences with housing options you've visited as I will do the same. During the Law School Day I saw a current 1Ls place in The Massey which is like a 5 minute walk to campus tops. I thought it was nice. He lived in a 1BR and paid $500 for it. One downfall would be how old the building is, but its extremely spacious (bigger than the 2BR I currently share with a friend in ATL) and very convenient to school. I'm pretty sure I will also be looking to room with a 1L so keep me posted if others are as well. Anyways, good luck with your summer and look forward to meeting everyone very soon!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sarhuh

New

Post by sarhuh » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:07 pm

chardy wrote:Hi guys...my name is Chance. I'm really excited about getting started. I assume I'll be moving down (from ATL btw) the same time everyone else is saying in late July or so. Please feel free to share your experiences with housing options you've visited as I will do the same. During the Law School Day I saw a current 1Ls place in The Massey which is like a 5 minute walk to campus tops. I thought it was nice. He lived in a 1BR and paid $500 for it. One downfall would be how old the building is, but its extremely spacious (bigger than the 2BR I currently share with a friend in ATL) and very convenient to school. I'm pretty sure I will also be looking to room with a 1L so keep me posted if others are as well. Anyways, good luck with your summer and look forward to meeting everyone very soon!

hey!! any chance that you go to Georgia State? I am also moving down from ATL (@ Georgia State now) in late July!

chardy

New

Post by chardy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:37 am

sarhuh wrote:
chardy wrote:Hi guys...my name is Chance. I'm really excited about getting started. I assume I'll be moving down (from ATL btw) the same time everyone else is saying in late July or so. Please feel free to share your experiences with housing options you've visited as I will do the same. During the Law School Day I saw a current 1Ls place in The Massey which is like a 5 minute walk to campus tops. I thought it was nice. He lived in a 1BR and paid $500 for it. One downfall would be how old the building is, but its extremely spacious (bigger than the 2BR I currently share with a friend in ATL) and very convenient to school. I'm pretty sure I will also be looking to room with a 1L so keep me posted if others are as well. Anyways, good luck with your summer and look forward to meeting everyone very soon!

hey!! any chance that you go to Georgia State? I am also moving down from ATL (@ Georgia State now) in late July!
Nope. I actually went to UGA and graduated a few years ago. Just working now. I love ATL though and will be disappointed to see it go, however, I am excited to simply be doing something different as well as meet new people.

Rooney

Silver

Post by Rooney » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:51 pm

I just talked to one of my Mercer alum friends. He says Walnut, Bond, Orange and College Streets are good locations. He said the old Massey building (directly behind the law building) is really run down and full of roaches :| Broadway Lofts are also a good option, but a bit further away.

atlantisdan

New

Post by atlantisdan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:09 pm

Rooney wrote:I just talked to one of my Mercer alum friends. He says Walnut, Bond, Orange and College Streets are good locations. He said the old Massey building (directly behind the law building) is really run down and full of roaches :| Broadway Lofts are also a good option, but a bit further away.
That's solid info...I have a couple of other financial obligations, so I will have to look for as inexpensive apartments as possible. It would be helpful if more people could contribute warnings like that as to where to avoid as well as where to pursue...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chardy

New

Post by chardy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:49 pm

Rooney wrote:I just talked to one of my Mercer alum friends. He says Walnut, Bond, Orange and College Streets are good locations. He said the old Massey building (directly behind the law building) is really run down and full of roaches :| Broadway Lofts are also a good option, but a bit further away.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll guess I'll start my search in those areas. Let me know if your Mercer alum friend has any other solid info to share.

Rooney

Silver

Post by Rooney » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:59 pm

He said there are a decent amount of OCIs!

megpow22

New

Post by megpow22 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:52 pm

When I was down there a couple weekend ago, I drove by Broadway Lofts. Cool buidling but definitely on the edge of town. Guys might not mind this, but as a girl, I didn't think it looked the safest.

I drove around all of the streets mentioned above and if you're looking to rent an apartment in a house or an entire house with a few people, there are a lot of options like that. There were already a lot of houses with signs in front of them to call if you were interested in renting. I actually wrote some numbers down if anyone would like them.

djlee4

New

Post by djlee4 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:37 am

hey! could you send me the numbers?? i want to get an apt in one of those old houses behind the school, but haven't made it down there to take a look yet! having some numbers would help out a lot :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rooney

Silver

Post by Rooney » Sat May 07, 2011 6:47 pm

I just got back and got a nice place for a pretty good deal. I know of a 1br 1 bath for $450 if anyone is interested, PM me.
It seems like a lot of law/med students live around each other, and landlords love us. College, Walnut and Orange streets looked good.

Edit: Bond Street is good and close too

chardy

New

Post by chardy » Wed May 11, 2011 6:28 pm

Has anyone received an invitation to join a Facebook group for the 2014 class yet? I am looking for a roommate next fall and believe Facebook would help with this.

megpow22

New

Post by megpow22 » Sun May 15, 2011 10:12 am

I received my "second deposit" package in the mail the other day. It says that all accepted students have been invited to join the Class of 2014 on Facebook. Maybe you just have to request an invite?

The package also included a Roomate Survey, maybe you could fill that out? It was due by May 13 though. It also looked like people could post roomate ads on the portal page, maybe that would be helpful.

Who's attending the reception at TS on the 24th?

chardy

New

Post by chardy » Mon May 16, 2011 4:15 pm

Awesome...yea I just got that package as well so I did fill out that survey. Thanks for the response. Also, I do plan on going to the TS reception just because its like 10 min. from my house. Hope to see you there! Anyone else plan to attend?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

formerbulldog

New

Post by formerbulldog » Wed May 18, 2011 10:52 am

Hey, guys..I just finished my 1L year at Mercer. If anyone has any questions about the school, daily life, etc., feel free to message me. Mercer is a great school and I can assure you that you have made a wise choice by choosing to attend here.

Rooney

Silver

Post by Rooney » Wed May 25, 2011 10:24 am

Has anyone received financial aid packets yet? Or any correspondence regarding Federal loans?

megpow22

New

Post by megpow22 » Wed May 25, 2011 5:03 pm

I haven't. When did you send in your FAFSA? I only did mine a few weeks go, so I wasn't expecting anything too soon.

Rooney

Silver

Post by Rooney » Wed May 25, 2011 5:14 pm

megpow22 wrote:I haven't. When did you send in your FAFSA? I only did mine a few weeks go, so I wasn't expecting anything too soon.
January. I also did the Entrance Counseling quiz at Studentloans.gov...

My roommate called the Financial Aid office at Mercer and they said we'd receive packets in May.

EDIT: I felt way better about repayment once I read all the details at the end

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”