Utah Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Pink

Bronze

Re: Utah Class of 2014

Post by Pink » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:30 pm

twozeroseven wrote:
Pink wrote:
I don't think it makes a difference to be honest. I'm guessing the tuition waiver comes from a pool used for all graduate programs (based Aguilar saying something about it being from the graduate school office or something), and the other is from the law school.

I mean, you could try, but no one has been successful thusfar (that I've seen anyway).
Aguiliar didn't rule it out when I spoke to him, so at least it's not policy to <i>not</i> negotiate. I'm psyched to have gotten accepted (and pretty fast) given my GPA, what it boils down to is that i should have maintained my residency in UT since I had no real plans of attending my home-state school. Crystal ball fail.
Ah, yeah, that sucks. When I talked to him he said 'it's always possible, but in the past 3 years we've never increased scholarships', but I was trying to negotiate for more $, not initial $. Again, I'd try if I were you, the worst he can tell you is no.

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:50 pm

Pink wrote:
Ah, yeah, that sucks. When I talked to him he said 'it's always possible, but in the past 3 years we've never increased scholarships', but I was trying to negotiate for more $, not initial $. Again, I'd try if I were you, the worst he can tell you is no.
I'll give it the ole college try. And I'll just cross my fingers that this is one of the rare occasions that they are feeling generous, have free and easy cash, and are trying to yield-protect, all the while cringing at the thought of going to the waitlist.

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:11 am

Also. Does anyone have the complete breakdown of CoA for 2011-2012?

I wrote down (from Open House):

$40,166 -- OOS
$21,168 -- In
$60,883 -- OOS total CoA
[$20,717 CoL]

20,700 seems pretty high for cost of living. So I assume that counts like 2300 or something for a computer. But 18,400 still seems a bit high for some reason, so I wonder if i wrote something wrong. The web isn't updated from last year, and the financial stuff of ULaw.TV doesn't stream on my linux.

Pink

Bronze

Post by Pink » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:48 am

twozeroseven wrote:Also. Does anyone have the complete breakdown of CoA for 2011-2012?

I wrote down (from Open House):

$40,166 -- OOS
$21,168 -- In
$60,883 -- OOS total CoA
[$20,717 CoL]

20,700 seems pretty high for cost of living. So I assume that counts like 2300 or something for a computer. But 18,400 still seems a bit high for some reason, so I wonder if i wrote something wrong. The web isn't updated from last year, and the financial stuff of ULaw.TV doesn't stream on my linux.
This is instate, but you can log onto CIS and see your full breakdown:

Tuition:

Books and Supplies:

Room & Board:

Travel:

Miscellaneous:

Other:

Total Estimated Cost of Attendance:

ETA: 2400 is included for the purchase of a laptop.

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:59 am

Pink wrote:This is instate, but you can log onto CIS and see your full breakdown:
Is this accurate info from CIS? It's suspiciously close to last year, I can't imagine that total CoA went up by only 1700, but that's just great if so.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pink

Bronze

Post by Pink » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:06 am

Its directly from my financial aid award letter on CIS.
twozeroseven wrote:
Pink wrote:This is instate, but you can log onto CIS and see your full breakdown:
Is this accurate info from CIS? It's suspiciously close to last year, I can't imagine that total CoA went up by only 1700, but that's just great if so.

IamAskier

Bronze

Post by IamAskier » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:00 pm

Random question, as I was admitted two weeks ago and thus missed out on ASD and other info sessions: Does Quinney have student lockers available for rent? I haven't seen any in the building, but then again I haven't explored too hard.

Pink

Bronze

Post by Pink » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:18 pm

IamAskier wrote:Random question, as I was admitted two weeks ago and thus missed out on ASD and other info sessions: Does Quinney have student lockers available for rent? I haven't seen any in the building, but then again I haven't explored too hard.
Yes, each student is assigned a locker at orientation.

brwaterman

New

Post by brwaterman » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:00 pm

Just withdrew with pretty decent scholarship so hopefully that opens up space and money

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IamAskier

Bronze

Post by IamAskier » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:33 pm

Everyone get the bar review email? Anyone of us new incoming 1Ls planning on going tonight?

lalala21

Bronze

Post by lalala21 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:59 pm

Hey. I am getting excited to move out there soon! Have most people already moved/already there? I am getting kind of nervous about having enough time to get out there, find a place, and move in... I am driving out from the east coast a week before orientation starts.... I thought I would post on here ... the FB group just seems to be super awkward... :)

IamAskier wrote:Everyone get the bar review email? Anyone of us new incoming 1Ls planning on going tonight?
^ Did you go? how was it?

IamAskier

Bronze

Post by IamAskier » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:57 pm

lalala21 wrote:Hey. I am getting excited to move out there soon! Have most people already moved/already there? I am getting kind of nervous about having enough time to get out there, find a place, and move in... I am driving out from the east coast a week before orientation starts.... I thought I would post on here ... the FB group just seems to be super awkward... :)

IamAskier wrote:Everyone get the bar review email? Anyone of us new incoming 1Ls planning on going tonight?
No, I didn't end up going. I thought it would be strange to be the only incoming 1L there, oh well next time I guess.

A week to find a place and move in is cutting it pretty close, or it would be for me at least, but you should be ok. Theres always a lot for rent around campus, especially around the beginning on the semester. Where in the East are you coming from?

Plus I agree about the FB group, though all communication amongst the incoming class seems to kind of tapered off. I guess everyone is busy getting ready for August 15th.

lalala21

Bronze

Post by lalala21 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:57 pm

IamAskier wrote:
lalala21 wrote:Hey. I am getting excited to move out there soon! Have most people already moved/already there? I am getting kind of nervous about having enough time to get out there, find a place, and move in... I am driving out from the east coast a week before orientation starts.... I thought I would post on here ... the FB group just seems to be super awkward... :)

No, I didn't end up going. I thought it would be strange to be the only incoming 1L there, oh well next time I guess.

A week to find a place and move in is cutting it pretty close, or it would be for me at least, but you should be ok. Theres always a lot for rent around campus, especially around the beginning on the semester. Where in the East are you coming from?

Plus I agree about the FB group, though all communication amongst the incoming class seems to kind of tapered off. I guess everyone is busy getting ready for August 15th.
Haha, yeah I am not sure I would have gone either. I am coming from Maine.. I think it will be fine because my sister and dad are road tripping it with me and then going to help me move in but I guess we will see :). I love utah so I am starting to get really excited about moving out there!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:36 pm

I just rolled in on Friday night late. Now am frantically running around on the furniture hunt. I forgot how much moving slash starting over sucks. I got a place in the Aves that is acceptable, not ideal, but the neighborhood is excellent and it's very close to the school. Good luck to those still looking. I noted that July 1st listings had a plethora of really cool places in comparison to Aug 1st.

Lalala, you're lucky to be roadtripping with the family. I just knocked off the 2500+ by myself in 3 days. I think it deducted the last couple years of my life as a toll.

Are there going to be 1L's in town and going to the bar review this week? I expect that I will make an appearance.

IamAskier

Bronze

Post by IamAskier » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:54 pm

I'm going to be down in Moab Wed-Sat so no bar review for me this week. I was thinking though that it wouldn't be a bad idea if maybe us TLS 1Ls organized our own meet-and-drink sometime this week. About time we all meet, seeing as how we'll be spending the next three years together, and plus it would be nice to know some people prior to orientation week.

lalala21

Bronze

Post by lalala21 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:40 am

Haha, yes it is nice to have family.. most of the time. We also did it in 3 days, but there is NO way I would have been able to do it in 3 days by myself.

I would be down for drinks or something this week. Or since you will be out of town, maybe on monday night just before the real part of orientation week starts?

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:32 am

lalala21 wrote:Haha, yes it is nice to have family.. most of the time. We also did it in 3 days, but there is NO way I would have been able to do it in 3 days by myself.
I probably looked like a zombie for 48 hours after ...
lalala21 wrote:I would be down for drinks or something this week. Or since you will be out of town, maybe on monday night just before the real part of orientation week starts?
I work tonight and Saturday night, anyone scared of an afternoon drink on Sunday? There is a welcome reception on Monday, but i would go out after that as well. Let's switch to email. I'm 'mainerobinson' at gmail.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IamAskier

Bronze

Post by IamAskier » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:17 pm

So what's the plan for drinks, or is there one? After the reception or even tomorrow night sound like they have potential.

Pink

Bronze

Post by Pink » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:50 pm

I still have no idea who any of you are, haha. (except MAYBE twozeroseven...)

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:10 pm

Can any of you guys give me some insight into scholarships? Haven't been released yet this year and I'm not sure how much to expect (3.5/166 In-state).

bloobook

Bronze

Post by bloobook » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:14 pm

Last edited by bloobook on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:14 am

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”