George Mason c/o 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
bomberle

New

George Mason c/o 2014

Post by bomberle » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:59 pm

So excited, sending in my seat deposit this week! I didn't see a page for GM in this forum yet, so thought I'd create one. Anyone else for sure going to mason??

Underground404

New

Re: George Mason c/o 2014

Post by Underground404 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:46 pm

Hey bomberle! I'm about 95% sure at this point that I'll be going to George Mason. I visited in February and really liked the people, facilities, and location. Mason would be a great fit for me. I'll be at the Admitted Students Open House on the 9th...are you going as well? If so, PM if you want to swap information!

Congrats on a great decision!

bomberle

New

Post by bomberle » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Unfortunately, I live in Ohio and don't think I'll make it out for the ASW :( let me know how it goes though! I've never visited the campus, so anything you can relay about the facilities? I love the location for sure.

Underground404

New

Post by Underground404 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:26 am

bomberle wrote:Unfortunately, I live in Ohio and don't think I'll make it out for the ASW :( let me know how it goes though! I've never visited the campus, so anything you can relay about the facilities? I love the location for sure.
I'm from Ohio too. :D

Check your PM.

emstray14

New

Post by emstray14 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:10 am

Underground404 wrote:
bomberle wrote:Unfortunately, I live in Ohio and don't think I'll make it out for the ASW :( let me know how it goes though! I've never visited the campus, so anything you can relay about the facilities? I love the location for sure.
I'm from Ohio too. :D

Check your PM.
It's good to know there are other Ohioans considering GMU. I chose Ohio State over Mason because of the lack of job prospects in OH for GMU grads (my wife and I are both from the Buckeye State and want to eventually move back). But I'm having second thoughts because DC is so appealing to me, esp since I think I want to do government work.

Any thoughts or insight what the job market in OH might be like for a GMU grad with a few years of experience under his belt? Also, why did you choose Mason Law?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bomberle

New

Post by bomberle » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:27 pm

The main reason I chose GMU was the DC location- I'm ready to get out of Ohio and my fiance is from Virginia, and we both love DC. I also think I want to go into IP law, which is more likely in DC than in Ohio.
I guess my thoughts on the DC/Ohio job market (not that they are very educated) are that it would be easier to get a degree in VA then come back to Ohio than vice versa. I already know some people in Ohio, but to make connections in DC from OSU I feel would be more difficult. Just my thoughts! I'm sure you will make the best decision for you.
It's funny that the three people on this thread all came down to OSU and GMU! Good luck with the rest of your cycle and keep us updated :)

Henchman21

New

Post by Henchman21 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:33 pm

tagged

Logos

New

Post by Logos » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:54 pm

Glad I finally found a GM page. I'll be going in the fall. While better ranked schools are available, that location is amazing. Hunting around for places to live off campus now. May be a silly question but does anyone know if all the law school classes will take place in the same place. Would help as I would prefer to bike to class and the northern campus is listed as the law school building location, but I would hate to sign for a place near there to only have a long hike to most classes.
Any help will be great.

Also, I'm terrified of debt. I survived undergrad without owing a penny so I'm new to the FAFSA games. Looks like Stafford loans are offering around 20,000...? Is this just for the coming year and is this decent.
Thanks in advance.

Underground404

New

Post by Underground404 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:46 am

First, responding to Logos: Yes, all of the classes will be offered at Hazel Hall, which is located at the Arlington Campus. There is a new building (Founders Hall) which is attached to Hazel Hall and will likely be used for some of the law school classes. It's not complicated, trust me, so don't worry about getting lost or anything like that. If you're looking for a roommate, let me know, I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing with housing for this fall too (I'm from Ohio).

Second, the Admitted Students Open House on April 9th was fantastic! I obviously can't speak for others who were there, but I really enjoyed myself. Current students put on a Trial Advocacy demonstration as well as a Moot Court demonstration. The rooms for both of these events are small, but very nice and tech-friendly. After being in application mode for so long, it was really nice to see these demonstrations because it helped reconfirm that I'm making the right educational decision by studying law. There was also a student panel that discussed life outside of law school and some recent (as in graduated 2005-2010) George Mason alums stopped by and had a panel about what to expect after law school. Both were very informative and well done. Lastly, numerous professors stopped by and I was able to talk to four of them...I was also able to chat with the school's dean. The professors were very friendly and down-to-earth.

I'm totally stoked now! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cdub

New

Post by cdub » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:06 pm

I'm going to Mason and am in the process of finding housing. I want to live in either Quincy Plaza or Randolph Towers, both of which are very close to the school. Even though it is more expensive, it is worth it to me to be able to walk to class and not deal with the stress of commuting and lugging around books, etc. during my first year. The total cost for a 3 bedroom is around $3,000/month and a 2 bedroom is around $2,800/month. Is anyone interested in either of these two places? If so, I'd like to discuss roommate options! :)

Underground404

New

Post by Underground404 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:31 pm

cdub wrote:I'm going to Mason and am in the process of finding housing. I want to live in either Quincy Plaza or Randolph Towers, both of which are very close to the school. Even though it is more expensive, it is worth it to me to be able to walk to class and not deal with the stress of commuting and lugging around books, etc. during my first year. The total cost for a 3 bedroom is around $3,000/month and a 2 bedroom is around $2,800/month. Is anyone interested in either of these two places? If so, I'd like to discuss roommate options! :)
Hey cdub! I'm looking for roommates as well, but my goal is to cap rent at around $800-900/month. That's obviously a tall order in Arlington, but if we were to get four people, it might just be possible. I've been cruising around craigslist and have found basement rooms for around $500-700/month, but I'd obviously prefer living in an apartment or house with other law students.

Stay in touch, $1,000 is slightly above what I'd like to pay per month, but I certainly won't rule it out yet. :D

I'll shoot you a PM.

sdpsk246

New

Post by sdpsk246 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:54 pm

Hey I'm going to GMU ft for 2014 too!

I'm looking for a group to live with as well within walking distance of the school. Hoping to spend less than $1000 a month as well.

Underground404

New

Post by Underground404 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:28 pm

sdpsk246 wrote:Hey I'm going to GMU ft for 2014 too!

I'm looking for a group to live with as well within walking distance of the school. Hoping to spend less than $1000 a month as well.
Fantastic! :D

I just sent you a PM.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lederuvdapac

New

Post by lederuvdapac » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:52 pm

Class Schedules have been posted, here is mine:

Property MW 10-11:50 Mossoff
Econ MW 1-2:15 Butler
Contracts T 2-3:50 Boardman
Torts Th 10-11:50 Krauss
Legal Writing F TBA DeMers

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:51 pm

Incoming 1L at William and Mary. I have a request of some kind-hearted George Mason student.

Michael S. Green is teaching Civil Procedure at my school this year, but he doesn't have many exams on record. I was hoping that you could dig up some copies of his old exams from your library's exam bank protected bank.

Michael S. Green was an Associate Professor at George Mason not too long ago, so there may also be some old hard copies (could you scan them?- I would be endlessly appreciative)

If any of your professors have ever taught at W&M, I'd be glad to do the same, but at this moment, this is just a request from some kind hearted individuals.

please PM me when you scrounge up some of her exams.

Thanks a million!

Gumby

New

Post by Gumby » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:14 pm

yo lederuvdapac i think we may be the same section, our schedules look the same

abrooks1

New

Post by abrooks1 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:46 pm

Class of 2014, and just switched to the evening section. I'm loving my job and am going to try to do both! Have lived in Arlington for about 8 months now, so let me know if I can answer questions for any of you about the area.

Looking forward to meeting all of you!!!

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:13 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”