Cardozo Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
OverDrama

New

Cardozo Class of 2014

Post by OverDrama » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:39 pm

It seems time to begin a thread for those certain or reasonably certain they will attend beginning in either May or September.

I hope we can start here with the assumption that we have made the best choice for us for whatever reasons and proceed from there. There are plenty of other places here to discuss the merits of a law degree from a non T 14 school.

Anyway, I am about 90% certain I will be starting in May. I grew up in New York (my first pre-school is actually right across the street from campus) and am going to commute from Brooklyn.

Not sure the relative numbers of people moving here for law school, but I am sure the New Yorkers among us are happy to field any questions about the area and city in general.

aidez-moi

Bronze

Re: Cardozo Class of 2014

Post by aidez-moi » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:34 pm

OverDrama wrote:It seems time to begin a thread for those certain or reasonably certain they will attend beginning in either May or September.

I hope we can start here with the assumption that we have made the best choice for us for whatever reasons and proceed from there. There are plenty of other places here to discuss the merits of a law degree from a non T 14 school.

Anyway, I am about 90% certain I will be starting in May. I grew up in New York (my first pre-school is actually right across the street from campus) and am going to commute from Brooklyn.

Not sure the relative numbers of people moving here for law school, but I am sure the New Yorkers among us are happy to field any questions about the area and city in general.
I'm pretty much in the exact same boat. About 95% sure attending Cardozo, starting in May, and commuting from Brooklyn.

James337

New

Post by James337 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:56 am

I will be a 3L when you come to Dozo. Welcome to our school. it's been an amazing ride so far, and I hope you soak it all in. Everyone that I know in my class can say the same thing. We love being in New York, and love the school, the faculty, community. You're making a great decision.

OverDrama

New

Post by OverDrama » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:59 pm

Great to hear you had a positive experience so far. Just officially accepted my offer today. Hopefully they will send a schedule for summer semester soon, so I can make plans and such.

aidez-moi

Bronze

Post by aidez-moi » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:16 pm

OverDrama wrote:Great to hear you had a positive experience so far. Just officially accepted my offer today. Hopefully they will send a schedule for summer semester soon, so I can make plans and such.
They just sent out a schedule - classes start on May 17

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nymario

Bronze

Post by nymario » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:43 pm

Welcome. I just started in the January AEP program (Class of 2013) -- So I'll be one of the few students around during the summer (there are only 20 of us) other than you guys. I believe you have Contracts, Crim and Elements -- who are your profs?

aidez-moi

Bronze

Post by aidez-moi » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:17 pm

nymario wrote:Welcome. I just started in the January AEP program (Class of 2013) -- So I'll be one of the few students around during the summer (there are only 20 of us) other than you guys. I believe you have Contracts, Crim and Elements -- who are your profs?
Yep, you got it.

Elements - Newman
Contracts - Jacobson / Burnham
Crim - Huigens

How does it look? Good? Bad?

nymario

Bronze

Post by nymario » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:58 pm

aidez-moi wrote: Yep, you got it.

Elements - Newman
Contracts - Jacobson / Burnham
Crim - Huigens

How does it look? Good? Bad?
I had Newman. She is very nice to everyone...very laid back course. You don't actually have to learn any substantive law in the class and the reading load is extremely light, so it's basically about paying attention and learning how to take a law school exam. It was a half semester 2 credit course, so it's the first exam you have, which makes it a nice way to ease into things.

Burnham is a visiting professor from Montana (comes for summers, I believe), but by all accounts he is amazing. Jacobson's reviews are a mixed bag...

Don't know about Huigens.

katya528

New

Post by katya528 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:37 pm

I will also be attending cardozo this may. Likewise, I will be commuting from Brooklyn which isnt a big deal considering my undergrad was in the city as well.

My professors are Newman, Jacobson, Huigens & Burnham. Very excited & Nervous =/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aidez-moi

Bronze

Post by aidez-moi » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:57 pm

katya528 wrote:I will also be attending cardozo this may. Likewise, I will be commuting from Brooklyn which isnt a big deal considering my undergrad was in the city as well.

My professors are Newman, Jacobson, Huigens & Burnham. Very excited & Nervous =/
This may be a dumb question, but don't we all have class together? Or are there sections?

nyjets1923

New

Post by nyjets1923 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:14 pm

James337 wrote:I will be a 3L when you come to Dozo. Welcome to our school. it's been an amazing ride so far, and I hope you soak it all in. Everyone that I know in my class can say the same thing. We love being in New York, and love the school, the faculty, community. You're making a great decision.
I'm considering attending in September. Do you guys have any job offers lined up?

OverDrama

New

Post by OverDrama » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:16 pm

I am fairly certain we are in one section, that is the impression I got from the May entry people I spoke with at the admitted students reception.

katya528

New

Post by katya528 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:48 pm

This may be a dumb question, but don't we all have class together? Or are there sections?[/quote]

Yea, from what I understand all May people are together. In the fall i think we get put into different sections.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nymario

Bronze

Post by nymario » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:26 pm

I guess 1 section makes sense, but that's a rough since there will be around 100 of you. Come fall and beyond, they actually have a strict % of May vs September students to balance each section.

Also, in shameless salesmanship: I am selling all my books from this spring (same topics). There is NO highlighting/notes -- so if you're interested in "New" books at a nice discount, please let me know...If you're looking for the cheapest books and don't mind highlighting, that's not what I'm offering.

Available now (assuming Newman still uses this one)
Elements of Law -2nd ed- Hanks, Herz, Nemerson., list 54, asking 25 OBO.

Available after exams at the end of April
Criminal - 8th ed- Kadish, Schulhofer, Steiker - list 177, asking 60 OBO
Contracts - 7th ed- Ayers+Speidel - list 175, asking 60 OBO

(also selling Torts book, but I know none of you May guys need it yet)

OverDrama

New

Post by OverDrama » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:35 pm

How large were your sections in the fall and spring?

nymario

Bronze

Post by nymario » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:46 pm

I am a January entry -- So there's just 20 of us for this Spring/Summer (10 in Legal Writing) - we are Section H, and don't merge with other 1Ls at all.

Ineedhelpplease

Bronze

Post by Ineedhelpplease » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:20 pm

Im so excited. I put my deposit in for the May program. Anybody else apply to for Loan plus with bad credit?... or just straight with co-sign. :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sUkNoIrzTforEall

New

Post by sUkNoIrzTforEall » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:44 am

Very, very close to putting the law school decision behind me and starting at Dozo in May. Trying to find affordable housing in the Village is not easy, though. I'd like to live close to the school.

Just thought I'd say hello. Excited.

aidez-moi

Bronze

Post by aidez-moi » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:20 am

sUkNoIrzTforEall wrote:Very, very close to putting the law school decision behind me and starting at Dozo in May. Trying to find affordable housing in the Village is not easy, though. I'd like to live close to the school.

You might be able to find something affordable in the East Village near the river, but that would be around a 20-25 minute walk to Cardozo. I'm living in Brooklyn and its about a 20-25 minute commute on the subway. Just something to think about.

It would be amazing actually finding affordable housing and living in the village, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high unfortunately.

And congrats on almost settling on Cardozo!

OverDrama

New

Post by OverDrama » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:33 pm

aidez-moi wrote:
sUkNoIrzTforEall wrote:Very, very close to putting the law school decision behind me and starting at Dozo in May. Trying to find affordable housing in the Village is not easy, though. I'd like to live close to the school.

You might be able to find something affordable in the East Village near the river, but that would be around a 20-25 minute walk to Cardozo. I'm living in Brooklyn and its about a 20-25 minute commute on the subway. Just something to think about.

It would be amazing actually finding affordable housing and living in the village, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high unfortunately.

And congrats on almost settling on Cardozo!
Yes all true. You might also look for a spare room in a brownstone or larger coop apartment there are a lot of those in the area often occupied by older people looking to make some extra cash for their spare rooms. What you give up in privacy, you gain in convenience.

I've have also passed by the Alabama, the schools 'dorm'/housing unit and it looks very nice from the outside and the location can't be beat. If its full for the summer It might be worth it to find temporary housing for the summer and try to gain a place there in the fall.

sUkNoIrzTforEall

New

Post by sUkNoIrzTforEall » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:55 pm

Thanks for the welcome (and the suggestions)! Look forward to meeting you both. :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OverDrama

New

Post by OverDrama » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:00 pm

Has everyone joined the facebook group yet?

katya528

New

Post by katya528 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:48 pm

OverDrama wrote:Has everyone joined the facebook group yet?
I tried clicking on the link in the email Cardozo sent, but it didn't work =/

Can anyone post a working link here?

& also, anyone applied for loans yet?

kruiz88

Bronze

Post by kruiz88 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:07 pm

Hey do you guys no anything about the bookstore? It looked small and understocked, is there anyone besides the one on the second floor? Don't they sell apparel, office supplies, etc.

aidez-moi

Bronze

Post by aidez-moi » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:37 pm

katya528 wrote:
OverDrama wrote:Has everyone joined the facebook group yet?
I tried clicking on the link in the email Cardozo sent, but it didn't work =/

Can anyone post a working link here?

& also, anyone applied for loans yet?
Yeah, I joined it. Last I checked there was a whopping 19 of us.

For some reason, the link in the email didn't work when I was signed into facebook, but if I logged out and then clicked the link it took me to the right place. I'm pretty sure I didn't get that backwards...but give that a try

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”