University of San Diego 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
toster19

New

Re: University of San Diego 2014

Post by toster19 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:13 pm

dtl wrote:Heading to ASD tomorrow as well! I have been to two other ASDs (Although San Diego is my top acceptance atm) where everyone wore jeans and a shirt. Should I take it from their emphasis on "business casual" that I should upgrade to slacks and a nice shirt?
I just went to their SD admitted student reception on Thursday and the dress was also listed as business casual. Everybody their except one dude was dressed nice and he definitely stood out like an idiot. However, that was in their restaurant area and they were serving apps and drinks. If people take the dress as seriously as they did Thursday most people will be dressed pretty nice. However, who cares? Im also going tomorrow and Im just going to go a happy medium. Button up with jeans is about as business casual as I can get for walking around campus in San Diego.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:27 pm

Maybe I was that idiot? haha flannel and cords and I definitely felt weird. Growing up in San Diego business casual means a ton of different things. I was expecting way more hawaiian shirts.

I haven't read all the way through this thread but at the ASD the guy said that the maximum scholarship offer in 38k a year. I was wondering if anyone got full tuition or if 38k is actually their cap.

toster19

New

Post by toster19 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:34 pm

FlanAl wrote:Maybe I was that idiot? haha flannel and cords and I definitely felt weird. Growing up in San Diego business casual means a ton of different things. I was expecting way more hawaiian shirts.

I haven't read all the way through this thread but at the ASD the guy said that the maximum scholarship offer in 38k a year. I was wondering if anyone got full tuition or if 38k is actually their cap.
I think I read somewhere online that their max is 38k, but I think that pertains to admitted. Ive also heard that after the first year they take the top 15 ranked students and give them full tuition for 2L.

The real question is, where exactly does the money go when the people originally offered 38k withdraw? Im sure they say it gets allocated to other students, but how exactly?

dtl

Bronze

Post by dtl » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:39 pm

Drove down to San Diego to go to ASD tomorrow. Sitting in the Days Inn across the way with a view of the school. I strolled the campus and have to say that its quite nice. Some of the parapet architecture makes it feel like your walking around the Palais des Papes or something.

Who else is attending tomorrow?

brangara

New

Post by brangara » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:13 am

dtl wrote:Drove down to San Diego to go to ASD tomorrow. Sitting in the Days Inn across the way with a view of the school. I strolled the campus and have to say that its quite nice. Some of the parapet architecture makes it feel like your walking around the Palais des Papes or something.

Who else is attending tomorrow?
I'll be there :) Crashed at my old college roomie's pad in La Jolla, so I'm driving over. Hopefully I see you today!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:47 am

for those who went to ASD, any new insight on neighborhoods to be looking at?

toster19

New

Post by toster19 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:43 pm

Went to drop off my deposit today and they were closed for Good Friday. How anti-climatic.

roomonfire

New

Post by roomonfire » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:54 pm

Hey guys, should be attending USD starting in the fall (barring some waitlists, sending in my deposit tomorrow). Does anyone have any information on the rental market in San Diego? I realize earlier is going to be somewhat better, but is there a time period when leases tend to expire and places open up?

toster19

New

Post by toster19 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:12 pm

roomonfire wrote:Hey guys, should be attending USD starting in the fall (barring some waitlists, sending in my deposit tomorrow). Does anyone have any information on the rental market in San Diego? I realize earlier is going to be somewhat better, but is there a time period when leases tend to expire and places open up?
Theres always something open. The only fluctuation you might see is a lot of leases signed at the beginning of the school year and ending during summer and thats mostly if you look in an area with a high concentration of college students.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

roomonfire

New

Post by roomonfire » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:45 pm

toster19 wrote: Theres always something open. The only fluctuation you might see is a lot of leases signed at the beginning of the school year and ending during summer and thats mostly if you look in an area with a high concentration of college students.
Yeah, kind of what I assumed. Thanks.

brangara

New

Post by brangara » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:41 pm

Withdrawing from Temple U and sending $$ for USD today!! :)

dtl

Bronze

Post by dtl » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:05 am

Money away!

I have been looking into the Mission Beach area and have to say I am shocked at how relatively cheap rent is there compared to say a similar area in LA.

At the ASD dinner I sat next to the woman in charge of graduate housing and she told me that very few law students live in campus housing. Instead the vast majority prefer to find a place in Mission or Ocean beach. With some luck either of these is where I hope to end up.

So where is everyone from out of curiosity? I am getting increasingly excited about this pending adventure.

brangara

New

Post by brangara » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:55 pm

dtl wrote:Money away!

I have been looking into the Mission Beach area and have to say I am shocked at how relatively cheap rent is there compared to say a similar area in LA.

At the ASD dinner I sat next to the woman in charge of graduate housing and she told me that very few law students live in campus housing. Instead the vast majority prefer to find a place in Mission or Ocean beach. With some luck either of these is where I hope to end up.

So where is everyone from out of curiosity? I am getting increasingly excited about this pending adventure.

Ooh are you from LA? I'm just north of LA (Thousand Oaks). Yeah, rent is much better in SD than LA, I went for my undergrad at UCSD, and even in pricey La Jolla, it was cheaper than rent in most of LA.

I'm getting pretty anxious/excited to start!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dtl

Bronze

Post by dtl » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:47 pm

I am from the South Bay region but 90% of my family lives up in the Calabasas/Hidden Hills area so I drive up that way (if not all the way) almost biweekly.

What made you decide on San Diego over Loyola/Pepperdine and the like?

Has anyone read any of these prep books? I downloaded "1L of a Ride" and have been reading it but have no idea how helpful/efficacious its advice will turn out to be.

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:14 am

dtl wrote:I am from the South Bay region but 90% of my family lives up in the Calabasas/Hidden Hills area so I drive up that way (if not all the way) almost biweekly.

Has anyone read any of these prep books? I downloaded "1L of a Ride" and have been reading it but have no idea how helpful/efficacious its advice will turn out to be.
i read a couple... honestly not that helpful, but since i know a majority of people will have read them i'd rather not be out of the loop i guess. all they really say is how much you have to study and that you should start looking for jobs as early as possible, which i think is advice that i've really gotten from TLS anyway (read: how hard law school is, how hard you have to work to be at the top of the class, etc etc etc)...

dtl

Bronze

Post by dtl » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:28 am

Has anyone looked into the presidio apartments? I am heavily leaning toward something in Mission Beach but what are the on campus apartments like?

brangara

New

Post by brangara » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:41 pm

dtl wrote:I am from the South Bay region but 90% of my family lives up in the Calabasas/Hidden Hills area so I drive up that way (if not all the way) almost biweekly.

Out at Loyola and waitlisted at Pepperdine, but even if I get off the waitlist, I'm not sure if I'd want to go because I'd end up living at home (cheaper but disconnected from everyone else).

I've ordered basically all the books that everyone's been recommending, but I've yet to receive them. I heard 1L of a ride is pretty accurate though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SH1123

New

Post by SH1123 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:36 am

sully wrote:Overall, I was impressed with the campus. I'll start with the downside, in my opinion, the interior of the facilities (i.e. classrooms and library) is a little out-dated. However, this seems to be the rule, not the exception among law schools, and it was certainly not the worst I've seen (i.e. Pepperdine). Otherwise, the exterior is beautiful and the location is unbeatable. It's also nice to be a part of a larger campus which gives you the option of using the rec center, and the student life pavilion, which by the way, has the feel of a 5-star resort inside and looks like an awesome place to grab food/coffee. I am also happy to report that there is a beer cart immediately outside the law school building, and an on-campus pub (although I was only informed of the pub, I didn't actually see it).
Not actually a "beer cart" rather a coffee cart, but the pub is there and open everyday at 5 with surprisingly decent deals on beer and food. :mrgreen:

sully

New

Post by sully » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:58 am

SH1123 wrote:
sully wrote:Overall, I was impressed with the campus. I'll start with the downside, in my opinion, the interior of the facilities (i.e. classrooms and library) is a little out-dated. However, this seems to be the rule, not the exception among law schools, and it was certainly not the worst I've seen (i.e. Pepperdine). Otherwise, the exterior is beautiful and the location is unbeatable. It's also nice to be a part of a larger campus which gives you the option of using the rec center, and the student life pavilion, which by the way, has the feel of a 5-star resort inside and looks like an awesome place to grab food/coffee. I am also happy to report that there is a beer cart immediately outside the law school building, and an on-campus pub (although I was only informed of the pub, I didn't actually see it).
Not actually a "beer cart" rather a coffee cart, but the pub is there and open everyday at 5 with surprisingly decent deals on beer and food. :mrgreen:
Really? My tour guide told me they served beer. That's a let down. I'm much more into beer than I am coffee.

toster19

New

Post by toster19 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:54 pm

I am so glad people are talking about beer. All this talk about school work, grades, stats, not wanting to live near a party area, got me a little concerned. I definitely will be studying my ass off, but plan on indulging in many other ventures with my classmates when Im taking much needed breaks from studying. Ive heard from some alum that USD was a lot of fun.

Does anyone know if USD has a club called Bar Review? I was hanging out with a friend who goes to Thomas Jefferson and she said they have a club that organizes specials at a selected bar each Friday night for current students. If we have one great, if not Im all about starting one.

brangara

New

Post by brangara » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:17 pm

toster19 wrote:I am so glad people are talking about beer. All this talk about school work, grades, stats, not wanting to live near a party area, got me a little concerned. I definitely will be studying my ass off, but plan on indulging in many other ventures with my classmates when Im taking much needed breaks from studying. Ive heard from some alum that USD was a lot of fun.

Does anyone know if USD has a club called Bar Review? I was hanging out with a friend who goes to Thomas Jefferson and she said they have a club that organizes specials at a selected bar each Friday night for current students. If we have one great, if not Im all about starting one.
Please do!!! :) By the way, when are people planning to move in? I was thinking end of july/beginning of august so I'll have a few weeks before classes to just kick back. I think we should do a meet-up if anyone's planning to come down early too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

toster19

New

Post by toster19 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:30 pm

I already live in SD.

Everyone should start their lease on August 1st. Get down here a couple of weeks before school starts to enjoy all that San Diego has to offer before you lock yourself in a library until next May.

dtl

Bronze

Post by dtl » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:55 pm

Bar review is actually a three school thing between USD, California Western and Thomas Jefferson. They rotate the bars around to near each law school. The staff member I sat next to at the ASD luncheon told me about it - she said something about the professors going at times also.

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:55 am

sully wrote: Really? My tour guide told me they served beer. That's a let down. I'm much more into beer than I am coffee.
i wish i could "like" this.

RCRARollin

New

Post by RCRARollin » Sun May 01, 2011 4:50 pm

dtl wrote:Bar review is actually a three school thing between USD, California Western and Thomas Jefferson. They rotate the bars around to near each law school. The staff member I sat next to at the ASD luncheon told me about it - she said something about the professors going at times also.
Not true. Every school has "bar review," it's just where people from the law school go to a specific bar. There are occasionally events where all three schools attend but the majority of USD bar reviews are just USD students, although they are at public bars so anybody can come.

Further, professors do not attend these except on VERY rare occasion.

And yes the cart outside the library is just a coffee car, no beer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”