Suffolk Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
birD

Bronze

Re: Suffolk Class of 2014

Post by birD » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:46 pm

anyone got anything so far?
I never got any notification either so I'm hoping the answer is no haha

acknox

New

Post by acknox » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:31 pm

Where is everyone looking at apartments? Is the law school in a nice area? I know absolutely nothing about Boston whatsoever. Anyone from the area willing to share their 2 cents?

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:15 am

acknox wrote:Where is everyone looking at apartments? Is the law school in a nice area? I know absolutely nothing about Boston whatsoever. Anyone from the area willing to share their 2 cents?
Sources: grew up in area, did Boston undergrad, live in the city still.

Basically, you have many options if you want to live in Boston proper, since SULS is essentially at the center of every public transit MBTA ("the T") line. Anything walking distance will either be small or very expensive, sometimes both, because you're limited to Beacon Hill or the east end of the Back Bay.

If you branch out, following the Orange Line from Downtown Crossing, a 3 minute walk to Suffolk, you'll find many students living in Jamaica Plain (JP) and even a bit beyond the end of the Orange Line in Roslindale or West Roxbury. Rents are more affordable in JP (when we looked last fall ~$1200 for 2BR), JP is still urban, but Rozie and WR are more suburban multi-families, etc.

Taking the Red Line and getting off across the street from Suffolk at Park Street you can live north in Cambridge/Somerville, look at apartments in Central, Harvard, Porter, or Davis Squares, you'll find a hearty mix of students and yuppies. These will be a bit larger and less expensive, think $800/bedroom if you're with roommates, more like 1300+ if you want a one bed.

Taking the Green Line, also from Park Street, this line is a trolley car line, so it does go above ground and runs on several branches. There is no A line (anymore), the B line runs through BU down Commonwealth Ave to BC's undergrad campus. The C line runs through Brookline (a separate town) to Cleveland Circle. The D line runs through Boston's Fenway neighborhood, then Brookline, and Chestnut Hill and Newton (another separate city). The E line runs through Northeastern's campus out to Jamaica Plain.

For the Green Line, there are lots of options: avoiding the branches all together there are some nice areas around Kenmore Square (where the B/C/D lines split off) my friend is a BU Law student living in a studio near Kenmore at $1300, some B line apartments past BU can be a little "student ghetto" style, in neighborhoods like Allston, but you can get sunny brownstones on Comm Ave a 25-30min commute to Suffolk for as little as 700/bedroom, or 1100 for a 1br, nicer places will be understandably more expensive. This is the area I'm most familiar with, but you also have great options on the C line in neighborhoods like Coolidge Corner, Washington Square, and Cleveland Circle. The first two are Brookline so rents are a bit more, usually starting studios at 1250, 1Br at 1350, 2br around 1700. Cleveland Circle is a compromise, not as cramped (and frankly, dingy) as Allston, not as nice as Brookline, but less expensive. It takes about 35-40m to get from Suffolk to the end of the C line. The D and E are probably either not desirable for location (E, unless you want to live on Northeastern's campus) or cost (some ritzy places on the D).

There's the Blue line too, I have very little idea on housing here, besides newly gentrifying plots on the East Boston waterfront. East Boston is Boston's biggest Hispanic neighborhood. Also famous for great pizza at a place called Santarpio's near Maverick Square.

I may not have given you a lot of hard data since it's been 3 years since UGrad and I forget exact rents in some areas, but for sure any of those neighborhoods I mentioned are worth living in. There will always be plusses and minuses.

Leases are mostly 9/1, but you can find 8/1. Most real estate agents charge a fee equal to one month's rent. I've used Craigslist, but never closed on a place, for my current apartment we used a real estate agent who charged a fee of 1/2 rent.

phew.

feel free to PM me for clarification, I posted this diatribe figuring it would help others as well.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:44 am

Hmm, helpful info. I will consider all of this.

birD

Bronze

Post by birD » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:25 am

anyone else get a call from a suffolk alum?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:31 am

birD wrote:anyone else get a call from a suffolk alum?
Yep, I felt bad I was in the middle of something at work, luckily she asked if it was a good time. It wasn't. Nice gesture though.

birD

Bronze

Post by birD » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:42 pm

Yep, I felt bad I was in the middle of something at work, luckily she asked if it was a good time. It wasn't. Nice gesture though.
Did you call back? Someone called me while I was on vacation and I'm debating whether I should call them back. Are they just calling to try to get me to go there or something?

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:05 am

birD wrote:Did you call back?

Are they just calling to try to get me to go there or something?
No.
Yes.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:21 pm

So, I am going to Suffolk unless my waitlist comes through (cheaper COL). Dean Ellis is awesome! I am thankful for my large scholarship. Have any of you seen the Gym facilities that are near the undergrad?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:38 pm

jaydizzle wrote:So, I am going to Suffolk unless my waitlist comes through (cheaper COL). Dean Ellis is awesome! I am thankful for my large scholarship. Have any of you seen the Gym facilities that are near the undergrad?
I work on Cambridge Street now and walk by the Ridgeway building all the time. It's not a very big building, I know the basketball court is below street level (visitors in town playing the Celtics often practice there), but I don't know the fitness center situation.

I'm curious as well. My UGrad has a beautiful gym built in last 5 years, I have an alumni member$hip, but would like a "free" gym again.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:49 pm

orm518 wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:So, I am going to Suffolk unless my waitlist comes through (cheaper COL). Dean Ellis is awesome! I am thankful for my large scholarship. Have any of you seen the Gym facilities that are near the undergrad?
I work on Cambridge Street now and walk by the Ridgeway building all the time. It's not a very big building, I know the basketball court is below street level (visitors in town playing the Celtics often practice there), but I don't know the fitness center situation.

I'm curious as well. My UGrad has a beautiful gym built in last 5 years, I have an alumni member$hip, but would like a "free" gym again.
Same here about my UGrad. It looks like Suffolk's gym might leave much to be desired:

http://www.gosuffolkrams.com/informatio ... dule/index

I've been looking for reviews, but haven't found any yet.

birD

Bronze

Post by birD » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:38 pm

I live in Boston and have heard various people talk about how bad the Suffolk gym is, although I haven't seen it for myself.
Last edited by birD on Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claudiam1989

New

Post by claudiam1989 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:28 pm

Hi!

I just got my acceptance letter from Suffolk! However, I also got into Loyola-New Orleans, which one would you recommend for someone who is looking to study international law?

What's Suffolk reputation in the East Coast?

Congrats to all accepted students!!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wpc1532

New

Post by wpc1532 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:58 am

Hey. Congrats on getting accepted, everyone.

I'm a 1L at SULS. Does anyone have any questions?

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:07 pm

wpc1532 wrote:Hey. Congrats on getting accepted, everyone.

How competitive is the school? Is keeping a 3.0 very hard? I ask because I have a scholarship that requires it. Are people above median finding decent jobs or summer employment?

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Post by ElvisAaron » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:13 pm

jaydizzle wrote:

How competitive is the school? Is keeping a 3.0 very hard? I ask because I have a scholarship that requires it. Are people above median finding decent jobs or summer employment?
Suffolk has a B curve...so it shouldn't be too tough.

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:13 am

ElvisAaron wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:

Suffolk has a B curve...so it shouldn't be too tough.
Which essentially means 50/50 at keeping the scholarship, but hey it's not unreasonable, they are giving you free money. Other schools will lump scholly students together making it harder, or require a GPA in top 20-30%, I think 50% is fine in that context.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wizard

New

Post by wizard » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:29 pm

I started a facebook group for the class of 2014 at Suffolk Law School. If you are planning on attending please join the group and get to know future classmates.Here is the link:

http://www.facebook.com/login/setashome ... 87605&ap=1

Also, I am looking for a roommate in Cambridge for a lease starting July or 8/1/11. I would prefer a 2 bedroom within walking distance of the "T" and no more than 1800.00 per month. Let me know if you are interested.

callen7828

New

Post by callen7828 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:09 pm

I was waitlisted then contacted by Dean Ellis and offered to be considered for the evening program? I was not given an offer of admission just offered to be considered. Any thoughts?

Sunny703

New

Post by Sunny703 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:38 pm

I understand from an eve 3L that nearly "50%" of his class (perhaps a stretch) tranferred from the evening to the day program at the end of his first year - if you had your heart set on transferring into days it is apparently a viable option after first year.

callen7828

New

Post by callen7828 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:49 pm

Sunny703 wrote:I understand from an eve 3L that nearly "50%" of his class (perhaps a stretch) tranferred from the evening to the day program at the end of his first year - if you had your heart set on transferring into days it is apparently a viable option after first year.
Thanks for the info and I was wondering if this is something usual, in the email she said she usually does not offer this to students(to change from day to evening), does this sound right or just a line from a law school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:18 pm

callen7828 wrote:
Sunny703 wrote:I understand from an eve 3L that nearly "50%" of his class (perhaps a stretch) tranferred from the evening to the day program at the end of his first year - if you had your heart set on transferring into days it is apparently a viable option after first year.
Thanks for the info and I was wondering if this is something usual, in the email she said she usually does not offer this to students(to change from day to evening), does this sound right or just a line from a law school.
She probably means rarely are students offered a chance before admissions to switch from the more selective day program (LSAT 25-75%: 155-159) to the less selective evening program (I think their 25% is like 152-3).

Take away message is I think she likes your application. I say consider it, you could work to keep debt lower while PT and it gives you a chance to make sure law is your thing. Then, you can transfer to the FT day section. Here's the line right off the Suffolk website:

"Students who have completed the first academic year in the Law School, and who are in good academic standing, are eligible to transfer internally to either the Day or the Evening division."

kraymond21

New

Post by kraymond21 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:48 am

Is anybody else doing the 3-year JD/MBA? If so, PM me, I'd like to talk to someone else who is considering this program.

callen7828

New

Post by callen7828 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:14 am

orm518 wrote:
callen7828 wrote:
She probably means rarely are students offered a chance before admissions to switch from the more selective day program (LSAT 25-75%: 155-159) to the less selective evening program (I think their 25% is like 152-3).

Take away message is I think she likes your application. I say consider it, you could work to keep debt lower while PT and it gives you a chance to make sure law is your thing. Then, you can transfer to the FT day section. Here's the line right off the Suffolk website:

"Students who have completed the first academic year in the Law School, and who are in good academic standing, are eligible to transfer internally to either the Day or the Evening division."
Ok I talked to admissions and was informed that they were offering the me evening program so now I have a decision to make between Suffolk and University of D.C. Anyone want to weigh in? D.C. has cheaper tution and I was offered a scholarship but I am unsure about what suffolk will offer as of yet.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:23 pm

callen7828 wrote:
orm518 wrote:
callen7828 wrote:

Ok I talked to admissions and was informed that they were offering the me evening program so now I have a decision to make between Suffolk and University of D.C. Anyone want to weigh in? D.C. has cheaper tution and I was offered a scholarship but I am unsure about what suffolk will offer as of yet.
It comes down to location and debt. Suffolk is low on the totem pole in Boston, but U of D.C. is even lower in D.C. and in an area where even more law graduates want to work. Try to project your total debt and decide how manageable it is and in which area you would prefer to work.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”