UGA Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
HawksJetsFalcons

New

UGA Law Class of 2014

Post by HawksJetsFalcons » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:54 am

Just figured I would get this thing started. I'm 95% sure I will be going since it's the closest to home.

Anyone have any insight on good places to live?

sstufken

New

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Post by sstufken » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:51 pm

I am pretty sure I am going to UGA Law as well! I actually go to UGA as an undergrad right now and I live downtown. It's super convenient and the SLC (student learning center)/library are only a few minutes away. I walk to class, to the bars, etc. Check out 909 Apartments, Gameday Condominiums, or the Georgia Traditions. I live in one of those and have friends who live in the other two.

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:04 pm

People knock it but IMO family housing (on campus and run by the school) is pretty good. 2BR is $674 including cable, internet, and all utilities except electricity. Catch the bus right outside my door and less than ten minutes ride to the law school. Reason I chose here is because its hard to know a good area or housing development to live when you just move to a place.

PDL

Bronze

Post by PDL » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:50 pm

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jame5

New

Post by Jame5 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:49 pm

I am currently a 1st year law student at UGA, and I WOULD NOT recommend living at 909 Broad. Initially, the setup might seem ideal for people new to the area. The location seems great, and the leasing office will tempt you with the promise that they "try and lump all of the law students together".

Rent an apartment at 909 at your own risk. The walls, floors and ceilings are paper thin, and you'll probably share any number of them with undergrad students (and their dogs, weight sets, subwoofers, beer pong tables etc). Not everyone will have noise problems; I have a few 1L friends who don't ever hear anyone else. However, several other law students and I have had ongoing noise problems in the complex. Because of the noise, I have pretty much given up trying to study at my apartment, so I spend most of my days at the library, and I usually end up spending the night at my girlfriend's place on the weekends if I have a lot of work the next day. There is a reason 909 only retains about 50% of the 1L's that live there every year.

My suggestions would be to rent a town home or something similar in Five Points. Ideally get 4 people, split the costs of 2 parking passes amongst you, and just drive to and from school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SHarry3666

New

Post by SHarry3666 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:33 pm

Just received an facebook post about an interview with UGA's Dean of Admissions. Just thought I'd share the link.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:25 pm

I will probably be at UGA next fall barring a huge (surprising) scholarship from a few schools I've yet to even hear back from. Are there a lot of houses available to rent near the campus/law school ?

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:42 pm

Also - anyone going to the ATL admitted students reception first week in March?

mreid27

New

Post by mreid27 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:33 pm

I'm also 95% sure to enroll at UGA and have started looking at housing options. It'll be my first time living in Athens so I'm sorta shooting in the dark. Thanks to those who have offered insight so far.

909 Broad is strange in that its advocates and detractors are both really enthusiastic about their stances. Then again this is the internet, so maybe that's not so strange.

I toured the Lofts @ 945 (--LinkRemoved--), which are still being developed but will be ready for fall. Really spectacular units, close to campus, but not cheap. The manager also seemed a little scatterbrained. Still worth checking out if you're looking for a higher-end place that'll price out most undergrads (and probably me).

Of the many cheaper, slightly-off-campus apt complexes, anyone have any specific suggestions? Any experiences with the Farmer's Exchange Lofts or Gameday Condominiums as downtown alternatives?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jame5

New

Post by Jame5 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:36 pm

mreid27,

In regards to your thoughts about 909... I think it really boils down to your particular location in the building. If you have noisy neighbors then you dislike it, if you get next to quiet people you don't mind it. It also depends on what kind of person you are. Maybe you don't mind undergrad noise late at night, or maybe you are the one making noise at night so it also doesn't bother you. It all really boils down to what you are looking for in an apartment, the location is fairly convenient, and if you are willing to occasionally sacrifice a little peace and quiet then go for it. I am just trying to throw a warning out there to people who might not want that kind of environment. Had someone given me similar warning, I probably would not be living there right now.

When looking for a new place for next year, I too checked out the 945's. They look awesome, but they are right next to the train tracks.

I eventually settled on Baxter Street Lofts for next year. Not walking distance, but they are biking distance, and the guy who is in charge of leasing them is also a partial owner (so he might actually care if you have a gripe). Also, he's trying to lease to only grad students, law students, and professionals.

mreid27

New

Post by mreid27 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:42 pm

Thanks for the advice! Very helpful.

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:25 am

mreid27 wrote: Any experiences with the Farmer's Exchange Lofts or Gameday Condominiums as downtown alternatives?
DO NOT go to Farmer's Exchange. Noisy as hell and run down. Had several friends that lived there get their cars broken into/tires slashed (because you park right on the street of a major intersection, plain view of anyone). If you want to live in that area just stay at 909 Broad. Ya its noisy, but at least its a decent place. Farmers Exchange is the same noise level but less safe and apartments in worse condition. Not sure what the price difference is though.

sstufken

New

Post by sstufken » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:50 am

mreid27 wrote: Of the many cheaper, slightly-off-campus apt complexes, anyone have any specific suggestions? Any experiences with the Farmer's Exchange Lofts or Gameday Condominiums as downtown alternatives?
I live at Gameday now but it is not cheaper than 909 at all. My parents invested in a unit so I don't have to worry about rent, but they still pay a monthly association fee etc. I'm not sure if you can even rent directly from the management; you may need to find an owner to rent from. Gameday is nice because it is fully furnished, you get an assigned parking space, it's a 5 minute walk to the library, law library, and the student learning center. The only time it is ever noisy at all is the Friday night before a home football game- even then, it is not too bad. I study at my apartment all the time. There aren't a lot of college kids who live here year round, maybe 10 tops? (and that's spread out over 8 floors)

I have friends who live in Farmers, and honestly it is kind of gross. I've heard it's really noisy and has some pest control problems.

But you should definitely come and take a tour of all the places to see them!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sleepyhead

New

Post by sleepyhead » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:30 pm

I'm 95% sure I'm going to be going to UGa next year... and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to go about finding a roommate for the upcoming school year. I'm out of state and only know one other person going to law school at UGa, so I was wondering if anyone knows if there's a service through the school that helps you find someone to live with? Or some other way to figure something out? Thanks!

yoyowhatupyo

New

Post by yoyowhatupyo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:26 pm

i'm in w/ 165/3.6. i'm out of state and was not offered any $$$. should i approach UGA about merit aid or 'tuition equalization' ? it would make a huge difference in my decision-making if i could pay in-state costs.

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:35 pm

yoyowhatupyo wrote:i'm in w/ 165/3.6. i'm out of state and was not offered any $$$. should i approach UGA about merit aid or 'tuition equalization' ? it would make a huge difference in my decision-making if i could pay in-state costs.
Give it a few days they may send it out later. I received my scholarship info a week and a half after acceptance.

yoyowhatupyo

New

Post by yoyowhatupyo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:10 pm

iShotFirst wrote:
Give it a few days they may send it out later. I received my scholarship info a week and a half after acceptance.
I will, thanks. I found some LSN profiles where $$ was offered a bit later than acceptances, from last cycle. UGA for under 20k/year would be pretty tempting.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:10 pm

yoyowhatupyo wrote:
iShotFirst wrote:
I will, thanks. I found some LSN profiles where $$ was offered a bit later than acceptances, from last cycle. UGA for under 20k/year would be pretty tempting.
I found my tuition equalizer a week plus after my acceptance. My GPA is .3 pts lower too.

Does anyone know how much a relatively nice single bedroom costs in Athens? Preferably close to the Trader Joe's.

robertjordan1940

New

Post by robertjordan1940 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:04 pm

yoyowhatupyo wrote:
iShotFirst wrote:

Yeah, give it some time. I got my tuition equal. 2 weeks later.

robertjordan1940

New

Post by robertjordan1940 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:05 pm

Sandro wrote:Also - anyone going to the ATL admitted students reception first week in March?

I'm actually considering this. I signed up for it but since I'm from NJ, this will be quite a hike for me. But, it would give me a reason to venture out and a time to check out the campus.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:28 pm

robertjordan1940 wrote:
Sandro wrote:Also - anyone going to the ATL admitted students reception first week in March?

I'm actually considering this. I signed up for it but since I'm from NJ, this will be quite a hike for me. But, it would give me a reason to venture out and a time to check out the campus.
Driving from NJ to ATL for the reception ? :shock:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

robertjordan1940

New

Post by robertjordan1940 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Sandro wrote:
robertjordan1940 wrote:

Driving from NJ to ATL for the reception ? :shock:

Instead of driving, it's flying/train-riding. lol. I've never really left the NY-Philly-DC area so this would be interesting. I mean, unless I end up hearing back from a few T14 and/or end up going for army instead of law, I'll be attending UGA. So, I'd like to take a chance to get a feel for the area.

But, I feel like this reception thing is going to be pretty lame...

Ah, you're a football fan, too!

plt06

New

Post by plt06 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:06 pm

Yup. Driving down Thursday, going to a meeting and visiting friends in ATL for the weekend, then checking out a class and apartments on Monday the 7th (UGA Spring Break is the 14-18) of March. So stoked!

ENS Boosh

New

Post by ENS Boosh » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:33 pm

Anyone going to the open house March 25? I'm coming in from Texas and have never been to Athens. Any decent (and cheap) places to stay?

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:04 pm

ENS Boosh wrote:Anyone going to the open house March 25? I'm coming in from Texas and have never been to Athens. Any decent (and cheap) places to stay?
FYI
Saturday, March 26, 2011
School of Law Rotunda, Hirsch Hall
The program begins at 1:00 p.m.
and will be followed by
a reception with faculty from 3:30 - 5:00 p.m.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”