Harvard Law 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
dbrddr

Bronze

Re: Harvard Law 2014

Post by dbrddr » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:42 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Just bought my tickets to March ASW
+1
hulahoop wrote:does anyone know how long the ASW events actually last? I am trying to take off time from work, I am thinking I will not be able to leave like late on the night of March 7th correct? (so I need to take the day before and after off as well)
I e-mailed the 1L2B address with this question a couple of days ago. I was told that the itinerary hasn't been finalized just yet but that last year's event ended at 2 P.M.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:52 pm

Ehh.. Im about to start flooding 1L2B with questions.. hopefully they dont get tired of me and rescind my offer.

oxford_don

Bronze

Post by oxford_don » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:59 am

[]
Last edited by oxford_don on Mon May 12, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catsparka

Bronze

Post by catsparka » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:45 am

Looks like a lot of us are going to the March ASW! :D
Are accommodations provided during the ASWs?

hulahoop

Bronze

Post by hulahoop » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:57 am

About to buy my tickets as well! Also planning to get in Fri night, leave late Monday.

Is anyone else bringing their SO? He wont be living with me but we want to go check out the area together. I am trying to figure out if we should just do it another time; if most of the weekend is stuff only admitted students are allowed to attend. Any thoughts? I mean, Im sure he can keep himself occupied, we have friends in the area, but it seems like a waste to go together if we wont really see each other all weekend. Is it more like mixer-type stuff or orientation?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ImpatientlyWaiting

New

Post by ImpatientlyWaiting » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:01 am

Maybe this is a dumb question, but how are you guys already getting tickets? On the admitted students' website it says:

REGISTER TO ATTEND AN ADMITTED APPLICANT PROGRAM (COMING SOON)

hulahoop

Bronze

Post by hulahoop » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:08 am

we are buying plane tickets. Or am I misunderstanding your question?

ImpatientlyWaiting

New

Post by ImpatientlyWaiting » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:09 am

hulahoop wrote:we are buying plane tickets. Or am I misunderstanding your question?

Oh okay, I thought you guys meant you were registering for those events and that they required tickets. My bad.

lotus924

New

Post by lotus924 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:12 am

bought my plane tickets too~
will be staying with a friend in boston

i thought i would fly in a bit early and tour boston, new haven, and ny before the actual asw :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Calla Lily

Bronze

Post by Calla Lily » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:47 pm

So what are your preliminary thoughts on housing? Where do you think you will end up living? After looking at the Chicago options, it makes me sad about what is offered at HLS.

T14

Bronze

Post by T14 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:12 pm

hulahoop wrote:About to buy my tickets as well! Also planning to get in Fri night, leave late Monday.

Is anyone else bringing their SO? He wont be living with me but we want to go check out the area together. I am trying to figure out if we should just do it another time; if most of the weekend is stuff only admitted students are allowed to attend. Any thoughts? I mean, Im sure he can keep himself occupied, we have friends in the area, but it seems like a waste to go together if we wont really see each other all weekend. Is it more like mixer-type stuff or orientation?

I don't know the answer to your questions, and I've been wondering the same sort of things. In any case, I am bringing my SO, so if you decide to, you won't be the only one :)

T14

Bronze

Post by T14 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:13 pm

lotus924 wrote:bought my plane tickets too~
will be staying with a friend in boston

i thought i would fly in a bit early and tour boston, new haven, and ny before the actual asw :wink:

I decided to fly in early and spend a few days in NYC before the ASW as well :lol:

T14

Bronze

Post by T14 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:22 pm

Admitted student welcome program schedule just went up :)

https://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective ... ogram.html

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:07 pm

catsparka wrote:Looks like a lot of us are going to the March ASW! :D
Are accommodations provided during the ASWs?
Last year there was an accomodation program but it mustve been small b/c tlsers reported being turned down.

Calla Lily

Bronze

Post by Calla Lily » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:50 am

Yay, I just registered for the March program! The schedule looks good...exciting stuff!

JeNeRegretteRien

New

Post by JeNeRegretteRien » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:01 pm

T14 wrote:
hulahoop wrote:About to buy my tickets as well! Also planning to get in Fri night, leave late Monday.

I don't know the answer to your questions, and I've been wondering the same sort of things. In any case, I am bringing my SO, so if you decide to, you won't be the only one :)
I'm bringing my SO for sure, and based on experiences at other ASW type things, I actually wouldn't be surprised if SOs can come to everything, or nearly all of it.

dbrddr

Bronze

Post by dbrddr » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:22 pm

Calla Lily wrote:Yay, I just registered for the March program! The schedule looks good...exciting stuff!
+1. Thanks for the heads-up, T-14!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JeNeRegretteRien

New

Post by JeNeRegretteRien » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:38 pm

dbrddr wrote:
+1. Thanks for the heads-up, T-14!
Yeah, thanks for the heads-up and link!

dadengcrew

New

Post by dadengcrew » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:23 pm

Hey guys, I thought I'd post this for the benefit of the class. It really puts things in perspective.
http://wingsandvodka.blogs.com/

My favorite quote:
Try to remember that, yes, we are going into a humorless business full of uptight, soulless pricks. But it can only stay a business full of uptight, soulless pricks if we all in fact become uptight, soulless pricks.

So here’s to the eternal preservation of the soul, the endless suppression of uptight prickery.

Here’s to getting a laugh out of the law everyday. And not a lame, bullshit laugh like “Heh-heh, that guy went to a state school” or “Oh man, she must have missed the bonus this year--she’s shopping at Banana Republic.”

Make it a real laugh.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:14 pm

Calla Lily wrote:So what are your preliminary thoughts on housing? Where do you think you will end up living? After looking at the Chicago options, it makes me sad about what is offered at HLS.
Yes, I felt the same way when I was looking at the apartment listings in Ann Arbor. I submitted the house tutor application yesterday, but I am not holding out much hope. I hear it is really competitive. No HRES apartments for me - I have two cats. I am hoping I can find something within walking distance to the Porter, Davis, or Alewife T stops or if not by the bus in Allston. I don't want to pay through the nose to live right next to campus.

123kl

Bronze

Post by 123kl » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:27 pm

JeNeRegretteRien wrote:
T14 wrote:

I'm bringing my SO for sure, and based on experiences at other ASW type things, I actually wouldn't be surprised if SOs can come to everything, or nearly all of it.
Good to hear that. I don't want to be the only weirdo with the fiance in tow....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

123kl

Bronze

Post by 123kl » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:32 pm

Also... I probably wouldn't have noticed I had to register unless you guys had said that... oops :D

rv11

Bronze

Post by rv11 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:24 pm

sarahh wrote:
Calla Lily wrote:So what are your preliminary thoughts on housing? Where do you think you will end up living? After looking at the Chicago options, it makes me sad about what is offered at HLS.
Yes, I felt the same way when I was looking at the apartment listings in Ann Arbor. I submitted the house tutor application yesterday, but I am not holding out much hope. I hear it is really competitive. No HRES apartments for me - I have two cats. I am hoping I can find something within walking distance to the Porter, Davis, or Alewife T stops or if not by the bus in Allston. I don't want to pay through the nose to live right next to campus.
Where can I find more information about this / send in an application? The site I went to asked me for username/password and the login Admissions sent didn't work...

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:40 am

rv11 wrote:
sarahh wrote:
Where can I find more information about this / send in an application? The site I went to asked me for username/password and the login Admissions sent didn't work...
Here is some general information:
http://osl.fas.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?k ... group94627

Here is the application:
https://asperin.fas.harvard.edu/horatio/login.jsp
I went there for undergrad and was able to log in with my old student ID, but it says you can get an XID if you don't have a Harvard ID.

hulahoop

Bronze

Post by hulahoop » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:12 pm

I am thinking about getting an apartment (probably with a roommate) as well. HRES seems ridiculously expensive to me, although all of it does to a certain extent. :roll:

For those looking at private apartments, are you planning to move in at the start of August or September? It looks like orientation is late August, so I am not sure if getting a September lease is feasible. Or am I wrong in thinking most leases can't be pro-rated?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”