Case Western Reserve 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
ran12

Silver

Case Western Reserve 2014

Post by ran12 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:34 pm

Didn't see a thread. Who else is leaning towards Case. I'm still waiting for a lot of schools to get back but Case is the early favorite so far.

gator84

New

Re: Case Western Reserve 2014

Post by gator84 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:55 pm

I was accepted this week. I think I'll take a trip to Cleveland to check it out but I doubt I'll go there. Their international law center interests me but Cleveland doesn't.

bif51

New

Post by bif51 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:09 pm

Case is an early favorite for me too. Have you heard anything about what it's like? I heard the school, academic-wise is amazing. But I don't know about cleveland and the social scene there. Any info?

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:31 pm

bif51 wrote:Case is an early favorite for me too. Have you heard anything about what it's like? I heard the school, academic-wise is amazing. But I don't know about cleveland and the social scene there. Any info?
I have limited experience about Cleveland from when I went for my fraternity convention. Honestly downtown was pretty dead and dreary looking. This was Aug btw. There were hardly any girls in the area, not even at the mall. We asked what the deal was and the cabbies told us that most people have moved to the suburbs. There was one street, I think 4th but idr, that seemed to be the downtown social scene w/ bars and a lot of loud music that actually made the ground shake.

Fortunately, Case is more towards the Little Italy/Cleveland Heights area of Cleveland and it's much more lively there. Seems more like a college town in that area and lots more people, mostly students. People say Cleveland sucks but it's just a matter of finding the right places to hang out I think. Plus, it's got 3 pro teams and the Rock and Roll HOF which is pretty cool.

Anyway, don't necessarily pick a law school b/c of what you hear about the city. Go and see what's out there b/c there's something good about every place. I'm from NY and went to UG in DC so compared to those places Cleveland isn't the best place but I would still go to Case if it was the right school for me regardless of the city but then again going to games is sort of my ideal social activity so Cleveland works for me.

bif51

New

Post by bif51 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:57 pm

ran12 wrote:
bif51 wrote:Case is an early favorite for me too. Have you heard anything about what it's like? I heard the school, academic-wise is amazing. But I don't know about cleveland and the social scene there. Any info?
I have limited experience about Cleveland from when I went for my fraternity convention. Honestly downtown was pretty dead and dreary looking. This was Aug btw. There were hardly any girls in the area, not even at the mall. We asked what the deal was and the cabbies told us that most people have moved to the suburbs. There was one street, I think 4th but idr, that seemed to be the downtown social scene w/ bars and a lot of loud music that actually made the ground shake.

Fortunately, Case is more towards the Little Italy/Cleveland Heights area of Cleveland and it's much more lively there. Seems more like a college town in that area and lots more people, mostly students. People say Cleveland sucks but it's just a matter of finding the right places to hang out I think. Plus, it's got 3 pro teams and the Rock and Roll HOF which is pretty cool.

Anyway, don't necessarily pick a law school b/c of what you hear about the city. Go and see what's out there b/c there's something good about every place. I'm from NY and went to UG in DC so compared to those places Cleveland isn't the best place but I would still go to Case if it was the right school for me regardless of the city but then again going to games is sort of my ideal social activity so Cleveland works for me.

Thanks so much. I'm from NJ and went UG in NYC. Im going to visit Case before I make any decisions of course so ill see where I end up. Its got a great program so it is definitely appealing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stereo

New

Post by stereo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:43 am

I went to Case for my undergrad degree and am currently living near Coventry.

The pros:

Excellent cost of living (A four bedroom 1.5 bath duplex with new kitchen ran us $1150/mo.)
Traffic is very tolerable
Always something to do (We have 3 major league sports teams, 4 restaurants owned by an iron chef, etc.)
People are friendly

The cons:

The Weather

Honestly, if it were a bit warmer here (like NC maybe) I would see no reason to leave.

I actually lived with two Case law students (3L now) and they seemed to enjoy their time here. There is a lot of culture in the area around Case, probably the most happening spot in Cleveland (art/history/science museums; the Cleveland orchestra plays in Severance Hall). Little Italy is right next door, Coventry road is awesome. Downtown is only 15 minutes from campus (East 4th and West 6th have upscale restaurants and hopping bars), upscale shopping can be found in Legacy village and Beachwood mall (15 minutes east; Nordstrom's, Saks Fifth Avenue, etc.). There is plenty of offerings for beer snobs. Once you find your favorite spots, it is very enjoyable. Find someone to guide you or if you're coming anyway, spend some time exploring the city. Talk to people and get recommendations. Stay out of East Cleveland, though, as it is not a safe neighborhood.

If you have any other questions, I will be glad to answer them.

cuando

New

Post by cuando » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:49 am

My brother is in undergrad at Case and he loves the neighborhood around the university. I've been up to visit him a few times (I'm thinking of starting at CWRU Law in the fall) and Cleveland Heights, where Case is, is nothing like downtown Cleveland. I live in Chicago now and while nothing will ever hold a candle to the windy city, Cleveland really isn't as bad as people say it is. Stereo is right. You just gotta know where to go.

Lametame

New

Post by Lametame » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:25 pm

A facebook page has been created for the in-coming class of 2011. Search for it on facebook!

maryk

New

Post by maryk » Tue May 17, 2011 7:44 pm

We need a roommate for next school year for a house in Little Italy (8 minute walk from the law school). We have a dog, washing machine and dryer, dishwasher,central air and heat, two full baths, huge porch, backyard fire pit, driveway, ping pong table, and grill. Rent is $375 plus one third bills (~$90) including gas, electric, cable, Netflix, and internet. Move in anytime between now and August.
Contact us at dogneeds roomate@gmail.com
Check out the flyer: --LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”