Stanford Law 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
dc1s

New

Re: Stanford Law 2014

Post by dc1s » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:38 pm

The Stig wrote:
dc1s wrote:"Hotel, rental car, transportation to/from your home airport, and checked baggage expenses are not reimbursable expenses."
hate to be that TLS poster, butttttt....
ADMIT WEEKEND REIMBURSEMENT POLICY wrote:In addition, we will reimburse up to $25 each way for transportation from the San Francisco International (SFO) or San Jose International (SJC) airport to the Stanford campus and back to the SFO or SJC airport. We are only able to reimburse for actual costs, so if you spend less than the above referenced amounts, you will receive reimbursement only for the amount shown on your travel receipts.
so I think technically you can do $400 on a flight, then $25 to SLS from the airport and $25 from SLS to the airport, for a total of $450 :shock:

ETA: there is a pdf of the admitted students site with the full details, and mine just worked, so maybe try again?? :D
That looks right, but I'm not sure why you bolded home airport-- I really doubt SFO or SJC is anybody's home airport, and if it is, I don't think they will be traveling to it. :lol:

The Stig

Silver

Post by The Stig » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:21 am

dc1s wrote:
The Stig wrote:
dc1s wrote:"Hotel, rental car, transportation to/from your home airport, and checked baggage expenses are not reimbursable expenses."
hate to be that TLS poster, butttttt....
ADMIT WEEKEND REIMBURSEMENT POLICY wrote:In addition, we will reimburse up to $25 each way for transportation from the San Francisco International (SFO) or San Jose International (SJC) airport to the Stanford campus and back to the SFO or SJC airport. We are only able to reimburse for actual costs, so if you spend less than the above referenced amounts, you will receive reimbursement only for the amount shown on your travel receipts.
so I think technically you can do $400 on a flight, then $25 to SLS from the airport and $25 from SLS to the airport, for a total of $450 :shock:

ETA: there is a pdf of the admitted students site with the full details, and mine just worked, so maybe try again?? :D
That looks right, but I'm not sure why you bolded home airport-- I really doubt SFO or SJC is anybody's home airport, and if it is, I don't think they will be traveling to it. :lol:
:D (I may or may not have flown to Chicago from Detroit for their day in the life program...hooray for travel subsidies!)

(I just bolded the two so that it was clear what was and was not covered)

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:26 am

The Stig wrote:
:D (I may or may not have flown to Chicago from Detroit for their day in the life program...hooray for travel subsidies!)

(I just bolded the two so that it was clear what was and was not covered)
Favorite phrase. EVER. I need to get in so we can be friends. :D

NikaneOkie

Bronze

Post by NikaneOkie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:20 pm

How are people feeling about the significance of debt coming out of stanford? what are the rationales for it not being important? I imagine a lot of others who have been admitted to stanford were offered significant, if not full, scholarships to other top schools.

The Stig

Silver

Post by The Stig » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:45 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:How are people feeling about the significance of debt coming out of stanford? what are the rationales for it not being important? I imagine a lot of others who have been admitted to stanford were offered significant, if not full, scholarships to other top schools.
I'm looking at a similar situation (...still waiting on finaid info though) and looking at 200k+ of debt versus full-ride at another school. Obviously, debt-averseness is different for anyone, but I will share what my professor (HLS grad) told me about considering scholarships in the decision-making process.

He was completely in support of investing in the "best" school that I could choose from that I felt comfortable in/liked. Essentially that another 100k of debt could be paid off in a extra couple of years at a big firm, but the law school experience/network/benefits of the "better" school will pay off for the rest of one's life. He is under 40, but went from a V5 firm to an NGO to an Oxford PhD to Treasury to a professor at my UG school since graduating from HLS 15 years ago. He commented that his degree from HLS was a nice boost for everything to which he applied, not just his first job.

Long story short, you can pay off extra debt in a couple years, but reap all the benefits for the rest of your life (50+years, right?). Hope that helps!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:48 pm

The Stig wrote:
NikaneOkie wrote:How are people feeling about the significance of debt coming out of stanford? what are the rationales for it not being important? I imagine a lot of others who have been admitted to stanford were offered significant, if not full, scholarships to other top schools.
I'm looking at a similar situation (...still waiting on finaid info though) and looking at 200k+ of debt versus full-ride at another school. Obviously, debt-averseness is different for anyone, but I will share what my professor (HLS grad) told me about considering scholarships in the decision-making process.

He was completely in support of investing in the "best" school that I could choose from that I felt comfortable in/liked. Essentially that another 100k of debt could be paid off in a extra couple of years at a big firm, but the law school experience/network/benefits of the "better" school will pay off for the rest of one's life. He is under 40, but went from a V5 firm to an NGO to an Oxford PhD to Treasury to a professor at my UG school since graduating from HLS 15 years ago. He commented that his degree from HLS was a nice boost for everything to which he applied, not just his first job.

Long story short, you can pay off extra debt in a couple years, but reap all the benefits for the rest of your life (50+years, right?). Hope that helps!
This is my way of thinking about things, too. Just too hard to pass up such an opportunity.

(I should really stop posting in this thread illegitimately...)

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:32 pm

Anyone preregistered for a shuttle ride from the airport through the Admitted Students WEbsite?

Haven't done it yet for some reason. Guess I'm waiting on my student host to hit me back

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:51 pm

Are there any current SLS students who know whether the new building is complete yet? It'd be awesome to see it during ASW.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:17 pm

tgir wrote:Are there any current SLS students who know whether the new building is complete yet? It'd be awesome to see it during ASW.
It's not quite done, but it's very close. I imagine there will be tours during admit weekend, but I'm not positive. I know a bunch of us are leading general campus tours, but am not sure if they'll include Neukom (the new building's actual name) on it, or leave that to a separate tour, or open it for wandering.

I will say, the new building kicks ass. Jealous I didn't have it for use during all 3 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Trustbuster

Bronze

Post by Trustbuster » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:51 pm

I'm going to be missing the first two days of ASW due to a tournament I already committed to, so if anyone would like to let me know (via PM, here, carrier pigeon, etc) what I miss that would be greatly appreciated.

My ladies BB team did also just beat Stanford. I'm sure there is some symbolism in there somewhere.

TigerTeacher

New

Post by TigerTeacher » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:39 pm

I'm considering deferring. Any advice from those who have in the past? What did you in the year that you deferred?

The Stig

Silver

Post by The Stig » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:15 am

Heyo!

So if anyone is interested in meeting up at the ASW, I'd be happy to organize one, potentially on Friday or Monday. Here's the form:
SLS ASW TLS Meet-Up!

Also, here is the Stanford ASW 2011 Thread

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:51 am

In case anyone else is interested in the status of the Caltrain issue, it looks like things will be pretty much unchanged for Palo Alto service, at least until July 2012--thank God!

http://www.caltrain.com/about/news/Tent ... tions.html

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

reallynownow

New

Post by reallynownow » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:41 pm

Quick Question from New User--hello all.

Does anyone know what happens to the status page if you are actually ACCEPTED? Does it change from under review or provide some other message? Away from my phone for a few days, and hoping to read the tea leaves?

Thanks

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:20 am

Hey was just wondering if anyone could Tell me the time /location of the first event tomorrow? Flew out and forgot my password to the admit website so can't access schedule

CrashingTheGate

New

Post by CrashingTheGate » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:40 am

jd20132013 wrote:Hey was just wondering if anyone could Tell me the time /location of the first event tomorrow? Flew out and forgot my password to the admit website so can't access schedule
Sign in is from 8:30-9:30 in cooley courtyard (the law school building) and then there is an org. Fair at 9:30.

Welcome to palo alto! Ill see you at the events.

NikaneOkie

Bronze

Post by NikaneOkie » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:31 pm

On the plane back from ASW right now; I entertained myself by drafting and emailing my withdrawal letters to all my other schools.
See you all next year :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:47 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:On the plane back from ASW right now; I entertained myself by drafting and emailing my withdrawal letters to all my other schools.
is it necessary to email withdrawal letters? i figure that if we dont deposit they will know we aint goin to their school right?

NikaneOkie

Bronze

Post by NikaneOkie » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:57 pm

Subject: Stanford Law 2014
HowdyYall wrote:
NikaneOkie wrote:On the plane back from ASW right now; I entertained myself by drafting and emailing my withdrawal letters to all my other schools.
is it necessary to email withdrawal letters? i figure that if we dont deposit they will know we aint goin to their school right?
There is somewhat of a moral impetus to (1) inform the school of your withdrawal, so they don't feel the need to contact and encourage you further, and (2) allow a spot for someone else to open up as soon as possible.
For example, withdrawing from harvard or Yale now rather than waiting could make a big difference in someone's choice considering the imminent ASWs.

NikaneOkie

Bronze

Post by NikaneOkie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:05 pm

Would someone please pm me the information for seat deposits; I want to send mine in sometime this week.
Thanks!!

The Stig

Silver

Post by The Stig » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:42 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:Would someone please pm me the information for seat deposits; I want to send mine in sometime this week.
Thanks!!
I don't have the info, but this posts makes me :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:57 pm

Just mailed in my deposit! I can't believe this is happening for real now....

JeremyPaul

New

Post by JeremyPaul » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:26 pm

anyone worried that they'll be thinking about SLS all day for the next 3 months and not get any work done? i thought i'd be less distracted once my cycle was over, but now i'm even MORE distracted... :(

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:31 pm

JeremyPaul wrote:anyone worried that they'll be thinking about SLS all day for the next 3 months and not get any work done? i thought i'd be less distracted once my cycle was over, but now i'm even MORE distracted... :(
This is a serious concern for me, yes.

Lately I keep thinking about how awesome it's going to be to own a bike in a place where owning a bike is useful and fun. I also can't stop thinking about who my roommates will be. Or which professors will teach my sections. Or--well, you get the idea.

JeremyPaul

New

Post by JeremyPaul » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:53 pm

glad i'm not alone, tgir!

you've also given me some good new daydream fodder. i've yet to have a 'biking around campus' sequence in my mind's eye. need to add that to my to do list. :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”