American University 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
PDTPapaBear

New

Re: American University 2014

Post by PDTPapaBear » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:27 pm

Anyone else going to the April 1 ASD?

grnidgrl

New

Post by grnidgrl » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:56 pm

Hey! So, I'm actually looking for advice. I was accepted for next year, but realized I missed the grant deadline. I dont really want to take out loans to cover sticker-price tuition, plus housing and other expenses that seem to come to about $67,000. Also, I'm currently living in South Korea and the earliest I'll get back to the states is mid-August. Do you think its possible to find housing and roomates online? Is it worth paying sticker price? Or should I try to defer for a year so I can make the grant deadline and actually be there to do all the orientation stuff? If I take another year off I'll be 24 when I start which is another concern for me.

Any advice would be appreciated! I'm freaking out a little bit and trying to do anything from overseas is always more difficult :?

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:00 am

grnidgrl wrote:Hey! So, I'm actually looking for advice. I was accepted for next year, but realized I missed the grant deadline. I dont really want to take out loans to cover sticker-price tuition, plus housing and other expenses that seem to come to about $67,000. Also, I'm currently living in South Korea and the earliest I'll get back to the states is mid-August. Do you think its possible to find housing and roomates online? Is it worth paying sticker price? Or should I try to defer for a year so I can make the grant deadline and actually be there to do all the orientation stuff? If I take another year off I'll be 24 when I start which is another concern for me.

Any advice would be appreciated! I'm freaking out a little bit and trying to do anything from overseas is always more difficult :?
Housing - Yes, you can find those online either through craiglists or by going through different realtors' websites and looking at them online however I think you would want to see them in person plus I would imagine there would be paperwork to fill out to rent. You may be able to do this in late-August though

Roommate - Yes, on the mywcl website they have an online forum for american students who can look for roommates online. Also, there are people on TLS who are looking for roommates too so I am sure you can ask around

Sticker - Maybe? that is a decision that you have to make but since american is not great with $$ it seems like a good number of people will be doing that. I know they do have a lot of scholarships and grants for 2nd and 3rd year students who do well so that is something to consider as well.

24 - this should be the least of your concerns because at law school there will be people from 21-50 yrs old so being 24 would probably be quite common. I know personally that I will be 24 when I start and I can't see it being a big deal what so ever

Congrats on your acceptance!

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:03 am

Last edited by descartesb4thehorse on Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PDTPapaBear

New

Post by PDTPapaBear » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:25 pm

I've seen a few mentions of having to have seat deposits in by the first of April, but on myWCL the date listed is April 15th. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:00 pm

PDTPapaBear wrote:I've seen a few mentions of having to have seat deposits in by the first of April, but on myWCL the date listed is April 15th. Can anyone clear this up for me?
On my award letter for the 10k scholarship it says that the deadline to accept the scholarship is a seat deposit on April 1. I think everyone else has until April 15.

abonda01

Bronze

Post by abonda01 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:10 pm

I was able to find my need-based grant offer on my.american.edu by going to "Financial Aid: Loan Adjustment Request" and the grants where there by semester. Very pleased...American is going up in my book.

grnidgrl

New

Post by grnidgrl » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:29 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
grnidgrl wrote:Hey! So, I'm actually looking for advice. I was accepted for next year, but realized I missed the grant deadline. I dont really want to take out loans to cover sticker-price tuition, plus housing and other expenses that seem to come to about $67,000. Also, I'm currently living in South Korea and the earliest I'll get back to the states is mid-August. Do you think its possible to find housing and roomates online? Is it worth paying sticker price? Or should I try to defer for a year so I can make the grant deadline and actually be there to do all the orientation stuff? If I take another year off I'll be 24 when I start which is another concern for me.

Are you talking about need-based or merit? If merit, in the waitlist/accepted/rejected thread, someone mentioned that besides PIPS all they are offering is 10k. Not 10k a year. It's sort of a bummer.

If need based, I missed the deadline too. I filled out the form tonight and wrote finaid an email explaining why I missed the deadline. I called them last week to discuss it and they said they will evaluate finaid of those with late submits in August or September. My dilemma now is to wait for them (my only real option that has accepted me at this point) and fork over a lot of money in the meantime and maybe be forced into sticker the first year. My other option is to try to do better next cycle, but this is not as attractive because I am living in a not so great town right now and law school is my only hope of feeling productive again, something I don't want to put off for 18 more months.

Any other advice to both of us I imagine would be appreciated! I did try to email the dean to see if they'd match another scholarship I had at 30k- 10k per year instead of only the first year. We'll see if they bite. If so, I will probably put down the seat deposit. If not, I'll have a very tough decision in about 8 days?

Question to definite attendees: anyone have any information on the Monash Dual JD? This is definitely one of the MAJOR selling points of American and I want to know how competitive it is/if anyone has heard success stories of interesting jobs coming as a result.
Would you try to defer of just apply again next year? Thats what I'm trying to decide now. I talked to finaid a couple of weeks ago when I realized that I had missed the deadline and they said that last year they didnt have much/any grant money left after they gave it to the people who applied on time.

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:57 pm

grnidgrl wrote:

Are you talking about need-based or merit? If merit, in the waitlist/accepted/rejected thread, someone mentioned that besides PIPS all they are offering is 10k. Not 10k a year. It's sort of a bummer.

If need based, I missed the deadline too. I filled out the form tonight and wrote finaid an email explaining why I missed the deadline. I called them last week to discuss it and they said they will evaluate finaid of those with late submits in August or September. My dilemma now is to wait for them (my only real option that has accepted me at this point) and fork over a lot of money in the meantime and maybe be forced into sticker the first year. My other option is to try to do better next cycle, but this is not as attractive because I am living in a not so great town right now and law school is my only hope of feeling productive again, something I don't want to put off for 18 more months.

Any other advice to both of us I imagine would be appreciated! I did try to email the dean to see if they'd match another scholarship I had at 30k- 10k per year instead of only the first year. We'll see if they bite. If so, I will probably put down the seat deposit. If not, I'll have a very tough decision in about 8 days?

Question to definite attendees: anyone have any information on the Monash Dual JD? This is definitely one of the MAJOR selling points of American and I want to know how competitive it is/if anyone has heard success stories of interesting jobs coming as a result.
Would you try to defer of just apply again next year? Thats what I'm trying to decide now. I talked to finaid a couple of weeks ago when I realized that I had missed the deadline and they said that last year they didnt have much/any grant money left after they gave it to the people who applied on time.
I'm not sure. Part of it depends on whether WCL is willing to be flexible on the merit-based aid. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to defer my 10k and since I have the numbers for at least one t14 ED I'd just apply again next year. Am considering taking the LSAT again in June but I lucked out the first time so I'm not sure that's a solid plan. What are you thinking?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dink3500

New

Post by dink3500 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:19 am

For people still waiting on aid packet, the financial aid offices said we should have our packets on Monday. I am hoping for at least 15k.

grnidgrl

New

Post by grnidgrl » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:58 pm

grnidgrl wrote:

I'm not sure. Part of it depends on whether WCL is willing to be flexible on the merit-based aid. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to defer my 10k and since I have the numbers for at least one t14 ED I'd just apply again next year. Am considering taking the LSAT again in June but I lucked out the first time so I'm not sure that's a solid plan. What are you thinking?
I'm thinking about 10 different things right now lol However, I'm leaning towards just not doing anything and applying again in September and hoping I get in again and get money. I took the Feb LSAT and improved my score a bit so I might also apply to some schools I didn't think I could get into before. But I change my mind about what I want to do every 5 mins, so who knows...

cam22

New

Post by cam22 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:45 am

Facebook Group started today for the class of 2014, hopefully ASD went great for all that attended. I won't be able to attend until the next one on the 22nd. I will be sending out my deposit in a few days, hopefully there are more of us TLS'ers doing the same!!

PDTPapaBear

New

Post by PDTPapaBear » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:09 am

cam22 wrote:Facebook Group started today for the class of 2014, hopefully ASD went great for all that attended. I won't be able to attend until the next one on the 22nd. I will be sending out my deposit in a few days, hopefully there are more of us TLS'ers doing the same!!
I can't find the fb group for the life of me. Care to post a direct link?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:50 pm

Deposit sent today...so excited about American!

silversnitches

New

Post by silversnitches » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:39 pm

justhockey31 wrote:Deposit sent today...so excited about American!
Congrats! I'll be sending my deposit next week :)

dink3500

New

Post by dink3500 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:46 am

silversnitches wrote:
justhockey31 wrote:Deposit sent today...so excited about American!
Congrats! I'll be sending my deposit next week :)
Congrats to the both of you, my deposit will be going out on Saturday.

Also, here is the facebook group link someone asked for earlier.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 50424&ap=1

dafullwood0624

New

Post by dafullwood0624 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:50 am

I was accepted sometime in early March. They took FOREVER! But I have already sent in my seat deposit, received a grant, and will be going in the fall. It was my top choice because of their International Affairs dual degree reputation.

I don't really like to have roommates because I prefer having my own space and a quite atmosphere, but because housing is sooooo expensive compared to where I am from, I am toying with the idea. Anyone looking for a roommate?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

silversnitches

New

Post by silversnitches » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:01 am

dafullwood0624 wrote:I was accepted sometime in early March. They took FOREVER! But I have already sent in my seat deposit, received a grant, and will be going in the fall. It was my top choice because of their International Affairs dual degree reputation.

I don't really like to have roommates because I prefer having my own space and a quite atmosphere, but because housing is sooooo expensive compared to where I am from, I am toying with the idea. Anyone looking for a roommate?

I am! Housing is soo expensive up there. Where are you moving from?

dafullwood0624

New

Post by dafullwood0624 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:00 pm

silversnitches wrote:
dafullwood0624 wrote:I was accepted sometime in early March. They took FOREVER! But I have already sent in my seat deposit, received a grant, and will be going in the fall. It was my top choice because of their International Affairs dual degree reputation.

I am! Housing is soo expensive up there. Where are you moving from?

NC

ZFB

New

Post by ZFB » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

dafullwood0624 wrote:NC
I'm also moving up from NC. What are your plans for looking for housing?

dafullwood0624

New

Post by dafullwood0624 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:56 pm

ZFB wrote:
I have searched online via several search engines and I have about 20 or so listings. But eventually I am going to go up there and look sometime around the end of May. What are the plans for you and others?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

silversnitches

New

Post by silversnitches » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:34 pm

dafullwood0624 wrote:
ZFB wrote:
I have searched online via several search engines and I have about 20 or so listings. But eventually I am going to go up there and look sometime around the end of May. What are the plans for you and others?

I may have to spend the summer in D.C., but I won't find out until May. So, I'll probably also be going up there at the end of May. What search engines are you using?

dafullwood0624

New

Post by dafullwood0624 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:36 am

silversnitches wrote:
dafullwood0624 wrote:
ZFB wrote:

I may have to spend the summer in D.C., but I won't find out until May. So, I'll probably also be going up there at the end of May. What search engines are you using?

Most of the stuff I found is using myWCL housing not the myAmerican housing help. My under myWCL there are like 3 pages of apartments they've talked to with the prices, phone numbers, and distance to American (?--not too sure about whether I just lied there lol).

PDTPapaBear

New

Post by PDTPapaBear » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:22 pm

If anyone is looking for a roommate, and isn't looking for a super quiet atmosphere or that type of thing let me know. I'll probably be staying in Indy for the summer and looking for an apartment somewhere around the end of June, maybe go to DC for part of the house week thing WCL puts on.

egor2510

New

Post by egor2510 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:08 pm

IJMer wrote:I applied ED so If I am accepted I am going. American has been my #1 choice for the last year b/c of its public interest focus and programs. I went complete 11/11 and still waiting. Hope to find out soon!

I hope you got a big scholarship, because it will take you 50 years to pay off your debt if you pay sticker and do PI after grad

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”