Advice for Transferring to Another Law School Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kaiser

Gold

Re: Advice for Transferring to Another Law School

Post by kaiser » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:05 am

Metaread wrote:Does the LSAT score matter much for transfers?
It doesn't matter at all. All that matters is your 1L grades. So go study!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:43 pm

kaiser wrote:
Metaread wrote:Does the LSAT score matter much for transfers?
It doesn't matter at all. All that matters is your 1L grades. So go study!
This.

FooJ

New

Post by FooJ » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:33 pm

thanks really helpful post

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:29 pm

For updates if OP checks this thread. GWU just initiated an EA option for transfer students.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:01 pm

Considering that many schools ask for a letter of good standing from the Dean, has anyone ended up being in a class taught by the Dean during their Spring semester and end up facing some negative consequences once the Dean found out about your transfer intentions?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:04 pm

If a school retaliated against a transfer student, it would be an immediate lawsuit.

NotEnuff

New

Post by NotEnuff » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:39 pm

T4 to MVP. Here are my stats and you tell me if you think you have a shot:

UGPA: 3.0 (private liberal arts college)
LSAT: 153 (No joke)
LSGPA: 3.94
Class Rank: 3/240

Don't let anyone tell you something is not possible. Most of the time they can't believe they have the power to overcome themselves.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:37 pm

Mce252 wrote:If a school retaliated against a transfer student, it would be an immediate lawsuit.
How would you prove it?

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:34 pm

Miracle wrote:
Mce252 wrote:If a school retaliated against a transfer student, it would be an immediate lawsuit.
How would you prove it?
What is "it"? If they lowered your grades somehow, well, you would show that they lowered your grades without warrant. If they spanked you while naked in the supply closet, well, I guess you could show the bruises.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bhopeful

New

Post by bhopeful » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:36 pm

This is a question for Arrow or anyone else with relevant experience/information. I'm currently a 1L at a school ranked between 27 and 23. It's a strong program in the state, but the further away I try to go the smaller my chances of landing a high paying job no matter how high my grades are. Ideally I'll end up working in Chicago, DC, NY, or Boston. I have almost no interest in practicing in the state where my school is located. My school might give me some opportunities in Chicago, but my chances on the east coast are basically zero. I haven't received all of my first semester grades yet, but if the grades I have received are any indication I'm looking at having A's and A-'s placing me somewhere in the top 15-5%. For transfer I'm looking at Harvard, CCN, Michigan, Penn and Georgetown. I have a feeling I have a decent shot at Georgetown, but I'm not sure if that would be worth the transfer as I'd only be moving up 10-15 spots. as for HCCNMP I haven't the slightest idea what my odds are. Other considerations include a really low cost of living and a small scholarship at my current school.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:57 am

bhopeful wrote:This is a question for Arrow or anyone else with relevant experience/information. I'm currently a 1L at a school ranked between 27 and 23. It's a strong program in the state, but the further away I try to go the smaller my chances of landing a high paying job no matter how high my grades are. Ideally I'll end up working in Chicago, DC, NY, or Boston. I have almost no interest in practicing in the state where my school is located. My school might give me some opportunities in Chicago, but my chances on the east coast are basically zero. I haven't received all of my first semester grades yet, but if the grades I have received are any indication I'm looking at having A's and A-'s placing me somewhere in the top 15-5%. For transfer I'm looking at Harvard, CCN, Michigan, Penn and Georgetown. I have a feeling I have a decent shot at Georgetown, but I'm not sure if that would be worth the transfer as I'd only be moving up 10-15 spots. as for HCCNMP I haven't the slightest idea what my odds are. Other considerations include a really low cost of living and a small scholarship at my current school.
Iowa?

VTOrange19

New

Post by VTOrange19 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:09 am

Regionality wrote:
bhopeful wrote:This is a question for Arrow or anyone else with relevant experience/information. I'm currently a 1L at a school ranked between 27 and 23. It's a strong program in the state, but the further away I try to go the smaller my chances of landing a high paying job no matter how high my grades are. Ideally I'll end up working in Chicago, DC, NY, or Boston. I have almost no interest in practicing in the state where my school is located. My school might give me some opportunities in Chicago, but my chances on the east coast are basically zero. I haven't received all of my first semester grades yet, but if the grades I have received are any indication I'm looking at having A's and A-'s placing me somewhere in the top 15-5%. For transfer I'm looking at Harvard, CCN, Michigan, Penn and Georgetown. I have a feeling I have a decent shot at Georgetown, but I'm not sure if that would be worth the transfer as I'd only be moving up 10-15 spots. as for HCCNMP I haven't the slightest idea what my odds are. Other considerations include a really low cost of living and a small scholarship at my current school.
Iowa?
Notre Dame maybe, but I thought Iowa at first glance too.

jess

Post by jess » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:43 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:44 am

Last edited by bruinfan10 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:49 am

1. Yes, this is fine. I used a rec from a LRW professor in transferring. I also had one from a substantive professor, and one from a law firm at which I had previously worked.

2. I think it's fine to ask now if you are certain that you're going to apply. If you're applying to Georgetown or Chicago EA/ED, you probably SHOULD ask now. The email you described is fine. Bring you materials with you to the meeting you set up.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:08 pm

bceagles182 wrote:1. Yes, this is fine. I used a rec from a LRW professor in transferring. I also had one from a substantive professor, and one from a law firm at which I had previously worked.

2. I think it's fine to ask now if you are certain that you're going to apply. If you're applying to Georgetown or Chicago EA/ED, you probably SHOULD ask now. The email you described is fine. Bring you materials with you to the meeting you set up.
1. +1, I too used a LOR from LRW prof. It was probably the better written one too.
2. I disagree. I asked my professor at the end of January and two things happened. Her smile turned to an immediate frown and shock, and she suggested I wait until later - when she could judge my work from this semester.

I explained to her the EA option at Georgetown, and then she was willing to write it now...but she seemed slightly offended at first that I was seeking transfer immediately after getting grades back. Wait a little bit and make sure you can explain what your reason for transferring is.
If your prof graduated from a school you are applying, ask the prof to write a letter of rec separately for that school and a general LoR.

Good luck

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:37 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:I have a couple questions on LORs for anyone who's transferred.

First, would it be better for me to get both LORs from professors in my substantive classes, or would it be ok for me to get one from my Legal Writing professor (I'm doing well in his class, we get along well, he went to one of the three schools to which I'm applying, etc).

Second, is it too early to ask for LORs now; I'd prefer to ask for them sooner rather than later so the profs don't forget me. Also how would you set up that face to face - by emailing them and asking if they have time to discuss writing a recommendation, without specifying that it's a transfer LOR?
As the other posters mentioned, I also got one from LRW prof and one from a substantive prof and I did fine.

I did not apply EA/ED, so what I actually did is set up a meeting with the substantive prof in February and mentioned that I was thinking of transferring. Since I wasn't going to have a class with him in spring, I think this is best so you are still fresh in their mind. However, for the LRW prof, since it is a yearlong deal, I waited until April after the prof had seen more of my work. That's what I would reccomend, unless you are going for EA/ED, in which case you need to move ASAP, I assume.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jess

Post by jess » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:26 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plebeculae

New

Post by plebeculae » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:05 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:I have a couple questions on LORs for anyone who's transferred.

First, would it be better for me to get both LORs from professors in my substantive classes, or would it be ok for me to get one from my Legal Writing professor (I'm doing well in his class, we get along well, he went to one of the three schools to which I'm applying, etc).

Second, is it too early to ask for LORs now; I'd prefer to ask for them sooner rather than later so the profs don't forget me. Also how would you set up that face to face - by emailing them and asking if they have time to discuss writing a recommendation, without specifying that it's a transfer LOR?
i got one of my lors from my legal writing professor. it worked out fine.

as to when to start asking, i am in the "earlier the better" camp. i started talking to profs after i got my grades back. i think it's reasonable to assume law professors know that your grades are the main factor guiding your transfer decisions, hence why i wasn't worried about looking mercenary or whatever. also, if a professor is going to think badly of you because you're asking for transfer recommendations after getting your grades back, he or she is probably not a very pro-transfer professor at any time. in my experience, it's better to figure that out earlier rather than later. i met with one professor to discuss a transfer recommendation, and she tried to talk me out of it. since i had met with her early, i had time to consider my other options and ended up getting a letter from a professor who was 100% on board (although he was disappointed in the ultimate choice i made :D ).

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:15 am

i have a question about the implications of not transferring.

hypothetically, say i'm ranked 40/400 at my school and 10 students above me transfer while i stay. since new incoming transfers aren't calculated into the rankings until at least after they get grades back from the first semester of 2L, does that mean for the purposes of OCI, i would be ranked 30/400?

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:58 pm

Lasers wrote:i have a question about the implications of not transferring.

hypothetically, say i'm ranked 40/400 at my school and 10 students above me transfer while i stay. since new incoming transfers aren't calculated into the rankings until at least after they get grades back from the first semester of 2L, does that mean for the purposes of OCI, i would be ranked 30/400?
No.

You would be 40/400 still. You don't become #1 in a class automatically if the 39 people above you transfer out.
Would be nice, right? But, no...not to mention, those people that transfer out will be able to participate in their old school's OCI anyway. It is one of the advantages.

You won't be re-ranked until the new grades come out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:27 pm

those people that transfer out will be able to participate in their old school's OCI anyway
Really? Without paying tuition at the old school for the upcoming fall semester of the second year?

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:10 pm

Need to be chanced.

Upper T2:

GWU law EA
USC LAW EA or ED(stronger consideration ED)New this year
Chicago ED

I am inside of the Top ten % but we are not ranked. I would guess I am around top 6 or so. I also received two academic awards. The question is do I risk an ED to chicago or should I bite the bullet and ED binding at USC.

I was thinking that USC ED is likely so why not ED at Chicago and then apply more broadly in the spring if I do well again.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:39 pm

Mce252 wrote:
those people that transfer out will be able to participate in their old school's OCI anyway
Really? Without paying tuition at the old school for the upcoming fall semester of the second year?
Correct. I didn't "officially" withdraw from my school until OCI was actually done. I was still "pondering" my decision.

If you read Arrow's article...the really long post at the beginning of this thread...he talks about it.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:04 pm

Lasers wrote:i have a question about the implications of not transferring.

No. Think of it as a snapshot in time, taken the moment grades are calculated. Would it make sense to tell employers that you were #1 in the class if the 39 above you transferred out? Of course not. You played a game with 400 contestants, and you finished 40th out of the 400. The mere fact that some of the contestants are no longer playing the game doesn't mean you get to change the results from when they were playing.

But if enough kids transfer out, there is less competition for those top spots, since it won't just immediately go to the usual suspects at the very top of the class. So it can give you some benefit if you are within striking distance, but doesn't give you the right to just change what your rank was.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”