UCLA or Stay Put? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

UCLA or Stay Put?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:51 am

Hello everyone!

I am currently in the top 15% at a T25 school. My current school is in the lower end of the T25 but it does fairly well in Big Law placement. I plan to do Patent litigation but I am still open to other career paths (haven’t taken any IP classes yet so I might hate it).

I’m accepted to UCLA (still waiting to hear back from others). Should I stay or transfer? The seat deposit is $1000.

cavalier1138

Re: UCLA or Stay Put?

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:35 am

Are you targeting SoCal? And if so, is your current school in California and/or do you have ties?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:40 am

Hi! Thank you for getting back to me :) I do plan to target SoCal. I am also open to NorCal. My current school is in the east coast. And yes, I do have ties to California.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:55 pm

If you're on the east coast now and want to work on the west coast, I would recommend transferring to UCLA. It's not that people from east-coast T25 schools *can't* get California biglaw, it's just so rare that I think it'd be worth transferring to your region. The calculus would be different if you were at, say, UC-Irvine and considering transferring to Northwestern, but I think given your options I recommend transferring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:59 pm

decimalsanddollars wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:55 pm
If you're on the east coast now and want to work on the west coast, I would recommend transferring to UCLA. It's not that people from east-coast T25 schools *can't* get California biglaw, it's just so rare that I think it'd be worth transferring to your region. The calculus would be different if you were at, say, UC-Irvine and considering transferring to Northwestern, but I think given your options I recommend transferring.
Okay great! This is what I was thinking as well. Some friends at my current law school are saying if I finish in the top 15% I will still have strong chances for West Coast Big Law, but I feel they are just trying to convince me to stay. Any idea how high in the class someone has to finish at UCLA in order to earn reliable Big Law opportunities?

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:59 pm
Okay great! This is what I was thinking as well. Some friends at my current law school are saying if I finish in the top 15% I will still have strong chances for West Coast Big Law, but I feel they are just trying to convince me to stay. Any idea how high in the class someone has to finish at UCLA in order to earn reliable Big Law opportunities?
I don't have info on UCLA specifically, but top third has been good enough at lower or peer t20s to place at biglaw in the school's region. I'd say top third is safe and median is plausible, and because your 1L grades were good, firms will look at those as an additional indication that you are good at law school. Extra points if you were, say, invited to law review at your sender school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”