Transfer to Northwestern worth it? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer to Northwestern worth it?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:15 am

Currently at a t25 around the top 20% probably (school only ranks 1-15% and 16-35%) and was accepted to Northwestern last week. I'm on half scholly but with COA loans I'm taking out ~$60k+ currently per year. Northwestern would be $95k. Thus, it would be roughly $70k more over the next two years before interest. Goal is NYC biglaw, but I'd be okay with just getting biglaw generally.

I'm still waiting on Penn and CCN, but my deposit deadline for NW is next week and I'm trying to get as much input as possible before dropping $750. Any input is appreciated!

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Re: Transfer to Northwestern worth it?

Post by decimalsanddollars » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:45 am

Given the relatively low marginal cost, I'd say transferring is probably worth it. Even NW greatly improves your chances in NYC and Chicago biglaw with your current stats, and obviously Penn/CCN would be an extra boost overall and especially in NYC. Assuming you want to transfer, the $750 payment is clearly worth it regardless of where else you get in. I'd solicit advice from NW transfers/recent OCI people for how well transfers do at OCI, but in this market, you could use any advantages you can get for a pitch to biglaw.

AbbreviationsOpening

New

Post by AbbreviationsOpening » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:57 pm

You could use your acceptance at Northwestern to negotiate your scholarship at your current school.

nwtransfer

New

Post by nwtransfer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:26 am

PM me if you have questions

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:42 am

Any clue how to go about looking for a scholarship bump? It worked great for during the first admissions process but I'm unsure of who to even talk to and how to approach it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CSKLawz

New

Post by CSKLawz » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:55 am

FWIW, anecdotally, the transfers I knew at NU did well during OCI or 3L OCI. Some of the jobs paid below market, but not by much. Alternatively, I know a few T25 grads who have had a much harder time than these NU transfers. Saving $70k is definitely nice, but it depends what your options will be if you stay. Any amount of debt is bad if you don’t have the job to service it. Caveat: this was before the pandemic.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:01 am

CSKLawz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:55 am
FWIW, anecdotally, the transfers I knew at NU did well during OCI or 3L OCI. Some of the jobs paid below market, but not by much. Alternatively, I know a few T25 grads who have had a much harder time than these NU transfers. Saving $70k is definitely nice, but it depends what your options will be if you stay. Any amount of debt is bad if you don’t have the job to service it. Caveat: this was before the pandemic.
This is the key information that would sway my choice to transfer or stay in one or the other direction. It's nice to transfer out as long as the school you are transferring to can get that transfer a better tier job or the likelihood that you land that job is near certain than what was going to happen while staying at the original school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”