Who for Recommendations? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
otisreadingcomp

New

Who for Recommendations?

Post by otisreadingcomp » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:19 pm

I'm planning to apply to transfer and was trying to figure out which professors to ask. I have three possible candidates:
  • First semester Contracts professor (my lowest grade [B+], but I have an excellent relationship with)
  • Legal Writing professor (not sure what grade is yet, but excellent relationship)
  • Second semester Constitutional Law professor (P/F, but spoke a good deal in class and went to office hours).
Is it too many to have three recommendations or is there a combination of two that might be best for applying to transfer? Thanks.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Re: Who for Recommendations?

Post by KPUSN07 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:24 pm

I have three LoRs and I'm using my UGPA LoR too (if the school allows four)

zg43

New

Post by zg43 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:25 pm

Depends on the school. Many schools only ask for one or two, so I would not send more than the suggested amount.

otisreadingcomp

New

Post by otisreadingcomp » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:34 pm

zg43 wrote:Depends on the school. Many schools only ask for one or two, so I would not send more than the suggested amount.
That's why I'm trying to figure this out. I'm only applying to NYU and Columbia. NYU asks for no recommendations and Columbia asks for two. I'd assume that NYU wants two, but no more and that Columbia also wants only two. Three may be too much or redundant. That being said, in this unusual year, each professor would have something different to say, as opposed to the same "she/he's a great student, etc."

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:54 pm

zg43 wrote:Depends on the school. Many schools only ask for one or two, so I would not send more than the suggested amount.
This is an interesting idea / principle; GULC requires 1 but allows up to 4 - so would you not submit 3 more if they are strong Professor LoRs from law school AND only submit the minimum 1? (not throwing shade, genuinely asking)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zg43

New

Post by zg43 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:50 pm

otisreadingcomp wrote:
That's why I'm trying to figure this out. I'm only applying to NYU and Columbia. NYU asks for no recommendations and Columbia asks for two. I'd assume that NYU wants two, but no more and that Columbia also wants only two. Three may be too much or redundant. That being said, in this unusual year, each professor would have something different to say, as opposed to the same "she/he's a great student, etc."
Why would you assume NYU wants two if they require none? Not trying to be snarky, I'm applying to these schools too and am not sure. I interpreted NYU's stance as that you can submit one if you want, but you don't have to. Columbia's seems pretty straight forward: Submit only two

zg43

New

Post by zg43 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:52 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:
This is an interesting idea / principle; GULC requires 1 but allows up to 4 - so would you not submit 3 more if they are strong Professor LoRs from law school AND only submit the minimum 1? (not throwing shade, genuinely asking)
Sorry for the double post. I think 4 is fine in that scenario, but I wouldn't go past 4.

otisreadingcomp

New

Post by otisreadingcomp » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:13 am

zg43 wrote: Why would you assume NYU wants two if they require none? Not trying to be snarky, I'm applying to these schools too and am not sure. I interpreted NYU's stance as that you can submit one if you want, but you don't have to. Columbia's seems pretty straight forward: Submit only two
This is a good, fair point. My feeling is that two is a reasonable amount. Zero makes no sense to me. Yes, you've managed to do well first semester, but a recommendation tells the school you've also managed to build up relationships and would be a boon to their classrooms.

One seems like it's too few. A singular professor creates only a two dimensional picture of you as an individual. It's persuasive, but it's only one source. Every other professor could have thought you impossible to work with. They may think you have no people skills and are impossible to hire for any job beyond locking in an office and never seeing a human face (hyperbole).

Two seems to be able to tell a more full story. With two recommendations, you now have two professors telling the same story –- that you're great in the classroom and great to be around.

Three would be too many and is at that point redundant. The third professor, in my opinion, wouldn't add much beyond what's already said. You've already proven your point by adding the second professor. A third won't add to your narrative.

This is where I'm coming from. I apologize for the length, I am studying for finals and this has proven fun as a form of procrastination. Would love to hear your impression.

zg43

New

Post by zg43 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:58 am

otisreadingcomp wrote:
zg43 wrote: Why would you assume NYU wants two if they require none? Not trying to be snarky, I'm applying to these schools too and am not sure. I interpreted NYU's stance as that you can submit one if you want, but you don't have to. Columbia's seems pretty straight forward: Submit only two
This is a good, fair point. My feeling is that two is a reasonable amount. Zero makes no sense to me. Yes, you've managed to do well first semester, but a recommendation tells the school you've also managed to build up relationships and would be a boon to their classrooms.

One seems like it's too few. A singular professor creates only a two dimensional picture of you as an individual. It's persuasive, but it's only one source. Every other professor could have thought you impossible to work with. They may think you have no people skills and are impossible to hire for any job beyond locking in an office and never seeing a human face (hyperbole).

Two seems to be able to tell a more full story. With two recommendations, you now have two professors telling the same story –- that you're great in the classroom and great to be around.

Three would be too many and is at that point redundant. The third professor, in my opinion, wouldn't add much beyond what's already said. You've already proven your point by adding the second professor. A third won't add to your narrative.

This is where I'm coming from. I apologize for the length, I am studying for finals and this has proven fun as a form of procrastination. Would love to hear your impression.
Yeah that makes sense. I guess it probably doesn't hurt to have more. Do you think they'd accept LORs from employers? I worked for a couple years before law school and would be able to get a good one, but I can't tell if they only want school faculty.

otisreadingcomp

New

Post by otisreadingcomp » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:35 pm

zg43 wrote: Yeah that makes sense. I guess it probably doesn't hurt to have more. Do you think they'd accept LORs from employers? I worked for a couple years before law school and would be able to get a good one, but I can't tell if they only want school faculty.
I looked at the Columbia 2020 preview and it said:
Columbia requires transfer applicants to submit two letters of recommendation . . . in addition to the Dean’s Appraisal(s) or Certification(s). For transfer applicants, both letters of recommendation must be submitted by your current law school faculty . . . . Applicants may submit more than two letters of recommendation but should be aware that their applications may be deemed complete and forwarded to the Admissions Committee once the required number of recommendations from law school faculty have been received.
So, unfortunately for you, it appears that you need to have two faculty recommenders. I would imagine you can supplement that with a work reference, but that is up to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”