Destroy My Hopes and Dreams Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JustCheckedIN

New

Destroy My Hopes and Dreams

Post by JustCheckedIN » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:27 am

I applied as a transfer to a number of schools. The school I am transferring from is considered T3, but is very well respected its own region/city, and has a 2.8 median 1L curve.

1L stats: ranked 18th out of 98 students 3.42 GPA

The long and short of it is that I have no desire to remain in my home state. I have family who recently moved to Southern California and that is where I would like to live/practice law.

If anyone could please provide opinions on my chances of transferring to the following schools I would appreciate any advice you have to offer:

USD - I applied here and according to the 509 reports, my GPA seems competitive. Though I have seen people with stats that appear to be better than mine (top 7% at a T4) be flat out rejected by USD.

Loyola LA - Again my stats appear competitive here but I'm not sure I like the idea of this school based on what people have been saying about it. Anecdotally their admissions office is more unorganized than any of the other schools I've applied to (maybe thats just during the summer).

USC - I basically have no chance here but figured I would at least attempt since I was in the top 20% and you have to be in the top 20% of your class for them to even consider you. Last year their lower 25th 1L GPA was 3.46 or so. I consider this my Hail Mary.

UCal Irvine - Applied here. Based on 509's my GPA is competitive. This school seems to have a bad rap among some circles, but I personally like everything I've read about it. I like the idea of being between LA and SD. Not to mention the fact that their admissions office has been great.

Am I being asinine for believing I have a chance at any of the schools? Am I even more asinine for thinking that I have some reasonable chance at a career in law after attending them?

Feel free to PM me or leave a reply on this post.

Thanks

Jon_Snow

New

Re: Destroy My Hopes and Dreams

Post by Jon_Snow » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:12 pm

Apart from USC, I don't see why not.

Why did you got to this school in the first place?
Undergrad location/ ranking/major/GPA?
Are you a URM?
Are you K-JD?
Any significant pre-law school work experience?

JustCheckedIN

New

Post by JustCheckedIN » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:30 pm

I went to this school because it was in close proximity to where my significant other was finishing up her schooling. (She's done now)

We have a 5 year old son, I am pushing 30, and did not want to delay my education any further.

I am not a URM.

Undergrad: K State, English, nothing fantastic 3.2 GPA

I have worked at an attorneys office (a solo practicioner's) since 2008.

I also worked full time in the payroll department of a very large international company for a year between getting my bachelors and beginning law school. This is full time work experience, but not really related to law. (So I am not a K-JD)

Jon_Snow

New

Post by Jon_Snow » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:38 pm

JustCheckedIN wrote:I went to this school because it was in close proximity to where my significant other was finishing up her schooling. (She's done now)

We have a 5 year old son, I am pushing 30, and did not want to delay my education any further.

I am not a URM.

Undergrad: K State, English, nothing fantastic 3.2 GPA

I have worked at an attorneys office (a solo practicioner's) since 2008.

I also worked full time in the payroll department of a very large international company for a year between getting my bachelors and beginning law school. This is full time work experience, but not really related to law. (So I am not a K-JD)
Sounds like you just need to put a big fucking bow on your app.
People who work at admissions offices are trained or taught to look out for certain metrics / factors - often by dictated career services. You want to show that you are a lock for getting post-grad employment, even moreso than people who did not transfer in.
Give whoever is reviewing your app a hardon whether it be because of your resume, credentials, experience, connections, leadership potential, school involvement, or recommendations.

JustCheckedIN

New

Post by JustCheckedIN » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:44 pm

I tried to convey as much as that as possible through my applications.

There's not exactly an abundance of clear data about the transfer process. I feel it's difficult to predict.

I guess I'll see what happens.

Thanks for your input.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GreenJay

New

Post by GreenJay » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:00 pm

Are you going to Washburn Law School?

And for this summer are you working in Southern California?

JustCheckedIN

New

Post by JustCheckedIN » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:41 am

I am not at Washburn.

And no, I am not working in SoCal this summer.

ladybug1989

Bronze

Post by ladybug1989 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:37 pm

If you put in a good app you have a really good chance at USD and Loyola, maybe Irvine. I don't think USC will happen tho.

JustCheckedIN

New

Post by JustCheckedIN » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:47 pm

Yea I highly doubt USC as well, just figured why not at least attempt. According to their 509's from last year the lower 25th 1L GPA of their transfers was 3.48. Since I am coming from a TTT and only 3.42 I'm sure it won't happen.

I hope I get into the other three. Of those three I'm not sure which I would choose.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”