Transfer Possibility / App Question Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer Possibility / App Question

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 30, 2017 4:31 pm

Had a solid first semester at my school in the 40-50 range with a 3.8 (a touch above top 10%). This semester I had some distracting personal issues and ended up with a 3.23, which will bring my cumulative gpa to right about a 3.5 (should be about top 25%). My first question is whether any schools in the 20-30 range would accept top 25% as a transfer or whether I'm screwed. Next question is whether my situation is worth an addendum on the application. Broke up with a long term significant other about a month before finals and it completely destroyed my focus.I know that sounds lame but just wondering if thats something that may make a difference at all. Thanks in advance guys.

joefresh

New

Re: Transfer Possibility / App Question

Post by joefresh » Tue May 30, 2017 4:33 pm

I'd say its still worth an application to the top 15-20. No addendum imo. Sounds immature af; everyone has social issues.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Tue May 30, 2017 6:05 pm

I got into NYU from a T40 with a 3.56 after having a similar thing happen (top 10% first semester, top 25% or worse second semester--rounded out to top 20%). I think worth the app to T14. Did not get into Harvard.
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed May 31, 2017 2:53 am

Don't write the addendum. You'll have a good shot at schools in that range, but I don't think it would be beneficial for you. Unless you're trying to move to a specific market, there's really no reason to transfer from one regional school to another. If you can get into a t15 school or another school in the top 20, it might be worth considering if it will help you break into a market your current school will not.

Otherwise, unless you're saving money by transferring, you're probably better off staying where you are than transferring to a school in the 20 to 30 range (again, unless you're trying to break into a specific market). Just my unsolicited advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”