Dropping out of law school Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
raff

New

Dropping out of law school

Post by raff » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:58 am

I am in a little emergency that I need to resolve ASAP this week and need some advice.

I started my first semester this past fall in a top tier 3 law school (is a new school but has had the top bar passage rates in the state for the last years) . I had some health problems was in the emergency room during my reading period and I did not have enough time to study and ended up not doing well I had one c , c- and an f in contracts wanted to review the exam but the prof does not want to review Until the second week drop and add period will be done by then
My gpa is currently 1.15 and if I don't bring it up to at least a 2 I
Will be dismissed at the end of the spring . They have a program in my school that is supposed to help student's legal reasoning skills and the gpa but I do not really think that my gpa is going to go up to a 2.00 (although the school says that some people who have taken the program have brought it up 1 whole point) . I feel that maybe i need to drop right now from the school and I would like to try it in a diffeeent school where I can feel comfortable because by not wanting to go over the exam until drop and add is over and pressuring me to take the finals even though I was at the emergency room incapacitated I just feel the school wants my money and really does not care about me as a student . I actually liked learning the law and doing the readings and had the discipline for it.

1.Do you guys know how likely is to get accepted again at another school even if it is lower ranked if I drop out of the school I am attending right now? ( I dont care too much about rankings as long as I get the JD and can get a decent job).(If you know of any schools that would be likely to accept me again after dropping out let me know )

2.Would you recommend me dropping out or trying it this semester and see if I get dismissed or not?
( I am not sure if it makes a difference being dismissed vs dropping out) In this case a did bad because I did not have enough time and even showed up sick . I have everything documented.

3. I also liked the idea o being an attorney because it gives so much independence and you can even have your own business...do you guys know of any other field of study that gives that independence and is worth studying it ...I was thinking about a masters in accounting. ( My ug degree was Criminal Justice with a minor in business ) I am also a real estate broker and love the world of business.

Thanks for helping

Circe

Bronze

Re: Dropping out of law school

Post by Circe » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:04 am

I don't know the nature of your illness, but I became a depressed insomniac in 1L simply because I knew it was not the career I was meant to pursue. Your mind's number one job is to protect you from what it perceives to be a threat to your survival so if you're constantly thinking toxic thoughts about the way you are spending your time, your brilliant mind will find ways to prevent you from passing your time that way by making you ill. I decided to leave the program after I finished 1L and became a healthy and joyous person again. Just something to think about.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:22 pm

Sorry but I don't think being a lawyer is in the cards for you. With these grades at that kind of school its highly unlikely you will become gainfully employed as a lawyer, and its also fairly unlikely you will pass the bar.

There are other professions that offer the lifestyle options and intellectual preferences you state -- I would review your skill set and consider those alternatives. Don't waste another cent on law school.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:29 am

I think dropping out is the right choice

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:45 am

raff wrote: 1.Do you guys know how likely is to get accepted again at another school even if it is lower ranked if I drop out of the school I am attending right now? ( I dont care too much about rankings as long as I get the JD and can get a decent job).
But lower ranked schools are terrible at getting their students jobs. You certainly aren't going anywhere better, unless you drop out now and dramatically improve your LSAT and even then, given your track record at your current school, it may be iffy.
raff wrote: 2.Would you recommend me dropping out or trying it this semester and see if I get dismissed or not?
( I am not sure if it makes a difference being dismissed vs dropping out) In this case a did bad because I did not have enough time and even showed up sick . I have everything documented.
Drop out now because you're going nowhere with that GPA at your current school. Don't waste another semester's worth of tuition. That's just money down the drain.
raff wrote: 3. I also liked the idea o being an attorney because it gives so much independence and you can even have your own business...do you guys know of any other field of study that gives that independence and is worth studying it ...I was thinking about a masters in accounting. ( My ug degree was Criminal Justice with a minor in business ) I am also a real estate broker and love the world of business.
If you love the hustle, sounds like you should just continue being a realtor.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”