Official Transfer Fustration/ FML Thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thexfactor

Silver

Official Transfer Fustration/ FML Thread

Post by thexfactor » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:36 am

Post here if you want to complain about your transfer situation....

made this thread specifically for a'nold
Last edited by thexfactor on Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

thexfactor

Silver

Re: Official Transfer Fustration/ FML Thread

Post by thexfactor » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:37 am

il start FLM.... no acceptances... and 1 rejection.

samiseaborn

Bronze

Post by samiseaborn » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:23 am

thexfactor wrote:il start FLM.... no acceptances... and 1 rejection.
+1 and I'll raise the need to start packing up an apartment without any idea where I'm going.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:24 am

terrible week... 1 rejection.. no cali awards... FML

sparty2L

New

Post by sparty2L » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:28 am

Is A'nold not up yet? I don't see any of his posts on this thread...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:31 am

he s on the wastern standard time... lol
He will post within the hour...

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:58 pm

thexfactor wrote:he s on the wastern standard time... lol
He will post within the hour...
A few hours, to be exact. :wink:

I feel bad that I am constantly commenting on my cycle, but I will admit that yesterday was especially devastating. Solidsnake, even though we were joking around, actually made me feel better by telling me not to worry since we "haven't even reached the halfway point yet."

Then, last night when I was talking with my wife, we both got excited because UW reads files in a committee and within mere days sends all of their decisions. This decision is crucial for us and it is good to know whether it will be a yes or no within the week.

As for complaining: What was up w/ Hastings yesterday? T2, top 20% applicants, come on down, t3 top 10%, come on down, t3 14%.....f u? A lot of t2 top 20% being accepted at Emory, WUSTL, and Minn. too. I have a kind of sick feeling that there is something wrong with my application package..... :?

Edit to add: for anybody that thinks we are being unreasonable, think about this. It's not that we are unhappy about our school CHOICES, we actually don't have ANY choices right now, lol. It's hard, especially when you have a family to think of, to wait until the end of July for a decision about where you are going to live (like sami said above), get your crap in a Uhaul, and get an apartment in a span of like 4 days, not to mention deal with OCI stuff, financial aid, etc.

Now, we know we signed up for this when we decided to transfer. However, seeing tons of peeps getting accepted to the schools you are waiting on, especially when they have similar or even lesser #'s than you, is unnerving.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:07 pm

You know, A'nold, I don't understand why you didn't apply to a real safety, like Seattle. Especially if you are so keen to go to UW.

sparty2L

New

Post by sparty2L » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:13 pm

You know that nobody is putting a gun to your head making you transfer. Honestly, top 15% at a solid T3 is better than some of the schools that you're applying to. Why don't you just roll the dice with OCI at your current school and if you don't get any bites work your butt off next year and maybe move into the top 10% of your class. It seems that your efforts would be better served focusing on OCI and researching firms rather than pouring away on this website 24/7. Just a thought though...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:22 pm

He's only top 15? Well then yeah, counting on t25 transfer possibilities to materialize is quite a risk. I mean:

"T2, top 20% applicants, come on down, t3 top 10%, come on down, t3 14%.....f u?"

Like isn't that fairly understandable? We're talking about a difference between a whole tier, it's not exactly utterly irrational for them to prefer a top 20 in a t2 to a top 15 in a t3. Or to draw the line at top 10 in tier 3, as they have to draw the line somewhere. Suppose you were Georgetown - wouldn't you take a top 20 from UCLA over a top 15 from my school, Washington and Lee? And that's just a difference of under 20 spots, not a whole tier. Like people are saying, if, for whatever reason, you feel you must leave, you have to apply to some real safeties.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:31 pm

I'm in a similar position to A'nold (top 20% at a T3). I have very good reason to know (based on insider info) that USC won't accept me. Can't say I'm surprised. I also realize that GW won't accept me (they have already sent out a ton of acceptances). So that means I will probably go to my safety school (Loyola) if I don't make LR at my current school. At least I get to stay in LA where I want to practice and where I have committed to working for a fed judge in the fall.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:32 pm

traydeuce wrote:He's only top 15? Well then yeah, counting on t25 transfer possibilities to materialize is quite a risk. I mean:

"T2, top 20% applicants, come on down, t3 top 10%, come on down, t3 14%.....f u?"

Like isn't that fairly understandable? We're talking about a difference between a whole tier, it's not exactly utterly irrational for them to prefer a top 20 in a t2 to a top 15 in a t3. Or to draw the line at top 10 in tier 3, as they have to draw the line somewhere. Suppose you were Georgetown - wouldn't you take a top 20 from UCLA over a top 15 from my school, Washington and Lee? And that's just a difference of under 20 spots, not a whole tier. Like people are saying, if, for whatever reason, you feel you must leave, you have to apply to some real safeties.
Damn it, I just wrote a novel and it erased. Oh well.

Short version:

Didn't apply to SU b/c it would not be worth it to spend an extra 60k over two years for basically a peer school. UW would be well worth it, even though I would be spending way less than that anyway.

As for "putting my effort into doing well": nice try troll. Umm, I finished first in my section 1st semester and 3rd this semester.....can't really improve on that, although once both sections are one we will all be graded under the same curves and then the other section can't benefit from having a 3.0 median GPA against our 2.67. So, in that sense, I could probably sleepwalk my way to top 10% overall.

Tray: actually, "low t2, top 20%" and t3, top 10% are not as far from t3, top 14% as you would think. That's not a very keen observation dude.

Edit: note that I did not start this thread and people called for me to post here AS A JOKE. Damn some people takes things way too seriously/take any opportunity to try to thrash people. Troll guy: who needs a life?

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:35 pm

Finally somewhere I belong.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sparty2L

New

Post by sparty2L » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:35 pm

I thought this website was called "Top Law Schools"... Don't really think the possibility of being able to transfer from a T3 to a T2 in a city where it is dominated by another school fits the bill...

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:36 pm

Danteshek wrote:I'm in a similar position to A'nold (top 20% at a T3). I have very good reason to know (based on insider info) that USC won't accept me. Can't say I'm surprised. I also realize that GW won't accept me (they have already sent out a ton of acceptances). So that means I will probably go to my safety school (Loyola) if I don't make LR at my current school. At least I get to stay in LA where I want to practice and where I have committed to working for a fed judge in the fall.
That's another thing: my t3 is near enough to my target market that my grades, coupled with my internship and connections to that market, will probably get me there regardless. I want to transfer for personal reasons and if I must, I will return to my school. I just don't like the school. However, I am not going to make a horrible decision and attend some kind of t2 at private sticker price or something. My plan is sound.

sparty2L

New

Post by sparty2L » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:39 pm

But if you stay at your current school you won't be able to use the excuse that the sections are stacked/curved unfairly next year. Oh yeah, you'll just sleepwalk into the 10%...my bad

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:39 pm

sparty2L wrote:I thought this website was called "Top Law Schools"... Don't really think the possibility of being able to transfer from a T3 to a T2 in a city where it is dominated by another school fits the bill...

How about GTFO of this thread?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:39 pm

sparty2L wrote:I thought this website was called "Top Law Schools"... Don't really think the possibility of being able to transfer from a T3 to a T2 in a city where it is dominated by another school fits the bill...

You obviously haven't been here very long. Also, the definition of "Top" can mean HYS, top 100, or anything in between.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:40 pm

sparty2L wrote:But if you stay at your current school you won't be able to use the excuse that the sections are stacked/curved unfairly next year. Oh yeah, you'll just sleepwalk into the 10%...my bad
I thought your IP was banned? Are you hopping to another community prison computer system just to troll me? Wow, I am honored.

sparty2L

New

Post by sparty2L » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:42 pm

Same advice could have been given to you when you were posting on the G'town EA thread about 100x a day in March instead of hitting the books. Some people have different priorities I guess...

prncaspian3

New

Post by prncaspian3 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:44 pm

Tray: actually, "low t2, top 20%" and t3, top 10% are not as far from t3, top 14% as you would think. That's not a very keen observation dude.
But it is, and he said why, didn't he? This whole game is fought at the margins, unfortunately, and this year especially (with a more competitive crowd than the normal transfer pool), they have to make what may be unfair decisions based on the slimmest of distinctions.

So to clarify: prioritizing T2 20s over T3 15s IS a distinction that is big enough to sway their decision, given the difficulty of the selection process; it may be a slim distinction in substance, but that's not how this thing works.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:47 pm

sparty2L wrote:Same advice could have been given to you when you were posting on the G'town EA thread about 100x a day in March instead of hitting the books. Some people have different priorities I guess...
Dude, aren't convicted felons prohibited from stalking? Remember: three strikes and you're out. Don't want to be part of the reason you get that third strike dude. Just trying to help you out.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:48 pm

A'nold: were you able to get onto LR?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:50 pm

prncaspian3 wrote:
But it is, and he said why, didn't he? This whole game is fought at the margins, unfortunately, and this year especially (with a more competitive crowd than the normal transfer pool), they have to make what may be unfair decisions based on the slimmest of distinctions.

So to clarify: prioritizing T2 20s over T3 15s IS a distinction that is big enough to sway their decision, given the difficulty of the selection process; it may be a slim distinction in substance, but that's not how this thing works.

Oh well, if it is it is. Not to mention, some of these kids are like t2 ranked 95, which I just can't see making that much of a difference b/w top 20% and 14%, but I guess it doesn't matter anyway. Time will tell, and I may be SOL everywhere.

On another note, I was told that my grades are "very competitive" and t14% is just like top 10% by the head adcom at a school I am applying to, so maybe all schools aren't the same in this regard.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:53 pm

Danteshek wrote:A'nold: were you able to get onto LR?
Nope, missed it by like 4 people. Decided "writing on" at my school (where the professors I've talked to say that LR "isn't a big deal here") wasn't worth it. I know I'd be much happier doing moot court anyway, since I plan on doing trial work upon graduation. I would take LR just for the credential, but am not a big fan of LW in the first place, so I was kind of relieved not to have to make that choice.

Edit: did you make it on?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”