Double Transfer Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rockstar4488

Bronze

Double Transfer

Post by rockstar4488 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:16 am

My question is has anyone ever transferred twice, with each transfer granting significant upward movement?

Caveat: I am in no way suggesting that anyone plan on attempting this. Nor do I have any personal desires to transfer twice (or even once). Just curious.

luthersloan

Bronze

Re: Double Transfer

Post by luthersloan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:19 am

Most schools only allow transfers between the first and second year. I think there might be a few that allow some between the second and third, but very few if any.

rockstar4488

Bronze

Post by rockstar4488 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:22 am

I think the limit is on credits you transfer in with. Lets hypothetically assume that someone was willing to take the credit loss.

luthersloan

Bronze

Post by luthersloan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:24 am

I am sure there is a school out there that would take the person. It might be a T4 hard up for cash, but someone would do it. But I doubt it could be used as a way to clime the rankings.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:26 am

I don't think the top schools (which would probably be the ultimate target) would go along with "credit loss" shenanigans.

If you wanted to do something like this, going for an LLM after a JD would probably be an outlet for wanting more law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rockstar4488

Bronze

Post by rockstar4488 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:51 am

Lets say someone from a T2 transfers to like.. UCLA and gets top 5%. You don't think they'd be able to flip that higher? Granted I think it'd be silly to lose a year and that high a class rank for shenanigans sake. But I have a hard time believing that they wouldn't get in at most of the T14.

rynabrius

Bronze

Post by rynabrius » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:52 am

It might be possible if you do ED at the first transferee school after your first semester and then transfer to the second transferee school after spring semester.

interalia

New

Post by interalia » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:52 am

No, you absolutely cannot transfer twice. In order to graduate from an ABA law school, you need to spend 2 years at the school.

Generally, schools will accept rising 3Ls as ¨visiting students,¨ but you need an actual reason for the visit (study in a particular area...), and you will not get a degree from the school you visit.

Also, because you need to spend 2 years at a school to receive a JD, I don´t think you can transfer after 1L and then visit at another school for 3L.

edit @ ryanabrius above: when you ed to a school after first semester, you are ed´ing to enter in the fall. So that would not be a double transfer.

luthersloan

Bronze

Post by luthersloan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:11 am

technically, the fact that one must spend two years at the school to get a JD does not prevent a double transfer. Assuming you lost all but one years credits it would take to at least two years to finish credit requirement and at the same time would ensure you were at the new school for two years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OliverWendellHomie

New

Post by OliverWendellHomie » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:12 am

interalia wrote:No, you absolutely cannot transfer twice. In order to graduate from an ABA law school, you need to spend 2 years at the school.

Generally, schools will accept rising 3Ls as ¨visiting students,¨ but you need an actual reason for the visit (study in a particular area...), and you will not get a degree from the school you visit.

Also, because you need to spend 2 years at a school to receive a JD, I don´t think you can transfer after 1L and then visit at another school for 3L.

edit @ ryanabrius above: when you ed to a school after first semester, you are ed´ing to enter in the fall. So that would not be a double transfer.
+1

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:16 am

Last edited by dood on Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rynabrius

Bronze

Post by rynabrius » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying!

iheartlaw

Bronze

Post by iheartlaw » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:16 pm

I think it's possible. I am in a PT program, and I could technically transfer to another PT program. Then after my 2nd year of PT i could try to transfer once more. Yes I would lose about 10-18 credits doing this, but if you are worth letting 10-20k grand waste and half a year to a year of your life, for prestige i think it is possible.

Though this is much diff, i know a girl who xferred to my school after her 1L and then xferred back to her original school cuz she didnt like it at our school. But this is much different then what we are talking about, becuz you are talking about only moving up.

wiscohopeful

Bronze

Post by wiscohopeful » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:42 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”