Official GW Transfer Class of 2012 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
underwhere759

New

Official GW Transfer Class of 2012

Post by underwhere759 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:03 pm

I know for sure I am going to GW next year. I didnt apply for transfer anywhere else.
So... I thought it would be nice to get to know anyone else who has also been accepted as a transfer and decided to go.

A little about me: I got married right before law school started last summer, my husband moved to Lexington, VA with me while I attended W&L. He was unable to find a job and there really is not much of a social life there for young married, non law-student spouses so things were pretty hard.

After I did really well first semester, transfering back to DC, where whe had been living before seemed like a good option. He was able to get his job back here so things are really looking up.

JackRyan2005

New

Re: Official GW Transfer Class of 2012

Post by JackRyan2005 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:26 am

Surprised to see that no one has replied to this given the slew of GW acceptances that came out this week. Anyway I figured I'd throw in my two cents/give it a bump. Barring some reach acceptances, I will be attending GW in the fall. I'm very excited to be heading back to DC and making a huge rankings jump from my T3.

feel free to pm me if you want more info, just trying to maintain some anonymity...

funkyfood1

New

Post by funkyfood1 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:52 pm

Just got in today. I'm ~40% with Law Review at AU...is it definitely worth it to transfer? I have friends at both schools, so socially, I should be okay either way.

underwhere759

New

Post by underwhere759 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:34 pm

If you weren't on LR I'd say it was definitely worth transferring. Even if initially, GW didn't give you a boost in job prospects, I think it would in the future.

The only thing that gives me pause is the fact you made LR. There are no guarantees you will make it at GW and for a lot of career prospects that will mean a lot. You could stay at AU and try and improve your class ranking and keep LR and have just as good of chances at big law as you would if you come to GW and don't do as well as you might hope.

I think whichever you choose would be an understandable and fine choice. It really just depends on what means more to you. Its a tough choice and a hard decision to make. Don't let a lot of the negativity around here bother you. When I posted my numbers after I took the LSATs people told me I had no chance at a good school. I got into several and ended up going to what was the 25th ranked school or something at the time. They know a lot, but they don't know everything and no one can predict exactly what your future will be.

navshark80

New

Post by navshark80 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:36 pm

Hey I got into GW. Im married with a toddler. Got into GW also! Definitely excited. I transferring from a T4.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pocket herc

Bronze

Post by pocket herc » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:42 pm

funkyfood where do you want to work? That would seem to me to be the most important consideration. Also, I'd really talk to people at GW right now about OCI, I don't know what the prospects are for transfer students there, and in all likelihood potential interviewers will judge you based upon your AU record. Finally, the T3 and T4 transfers make a lot of sense here, but you are already at a T1 school, and granted that GW is really a great school and objectively superior to any lower T1, the calculus in your situation is more complicated. Or at least I think so...

diesel23

New

Post by diesel23 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:46 pm

In at GW as of last week. Trying to decide whether I want to go there or Emory. Any opinions? I have family in GA so I wouldn't mind going to Emory. However, I could see myself living in the DC area as well.

Also, does anyone know how transfers did during OCI last year at GW?

JackRyan2005

New

Post by JackRyan2005 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:52 pm

Spoke to someone in office of career development Friday, she said transfers have historically fared "pretty well," whatever that means.

diesel23

New

Post by diesel23 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:08 pm

Haha, well I wouldn't expect them to say that transfers didn't fare well at OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JackRyan2005

New

Post by JackRyan2005 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:15 pm

well, yeah. I'm looking forward to getting the chance to talk to someone in person. Whole thing doesn't feel too promising, but I guess we'll all find out soon enough.

Riles246

New

Post by Riles246 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:01 pm

This is a question from a super-impatient person awaiting a response from GW... did you hear via email, phone call, or snail mail?

funkyfood1

New

Post by funkyfood1 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:10 pm

I got my acceptance via email for what it's worth.

I think I'm leaning towards going to GW. The deciding factor in the end might be that, because AU does write on during spring break, I've been an official member of the law review since March. As a result, I'll be able to put it on my resume as more than an "invitation," as I've spent a significant amount of time doing work for AULR. As an added bonus, I think that work might benefit me when it comes time to write on to GWLR.

The other main factor in GW's favor is that I have been in DC almost all my life and would love to move somewhere else after graduation. GW obviously has a better national rep than AU.

ctlutz

New

Post by ctlutz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:44 pm

I just got accepted at GW, still waiting to hear back from BC and GULC (deferred early action). Of course, if I get into GULC, that's where I'm gonna go.

However, I'm wondering what would be the best course of action between BC and GW. I don't personally prefer Boston or DC over the other (although my girlfriend is in Boston for the next two years). As far as future careers go, I don't know.

What I do know is I am interested in environmental law academically, and working at a firm or clerking at a federal court after I graduate. I also plan to stay in the Northeast.

All else aside, which school do you think is better in the long term, GW or BC? Both seem pretty well known, but more as prestigious regional schools. Any comments on enviromental law in either school?

Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jmin

New

Post by jmin » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:35 pm

Hey,
I haven't heard yet from GW, but my school just posted our grades today.
For those of you who were accepted, when do you have to make seat deposits? Trying to get a sense when GW may send out another round of acceptances. Also, did anyone get in to the part time program? And my most important question: what were your class ranks/percentages?
Thank you!

mardimar

New

Post by mardimar » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:38 pm

Last edited by mardimar on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

FLsunshine73

New

Post by FLsunshine73 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:12 pm

Hey guys,

I just sent in my GW application a few days ago. I was wondering if they sent you an email saying they received your application and gave you a link for a status checker. Otherwise, I want to call ASAP to make sure I'm complete.

Good luck to everyone!

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:13 pm

Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bevo06

New

Post by Bevo06 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:38 pm

jmin wrote:Hey,
I haven't heard yet from GW, but my school just posted our grades today.
For those of you who were accepted, when do you have to make seat deposits? Trying to get a sense when GW may send out another round of acceptances. Also, did anyone get in to the part time program? And my most important question: what were your class ranks/percentages?
Thank you!
Deposits are due July 15. Top 5% @ a T3

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:43 pm

What schools are you all from?

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:21 pm

Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmin

New

Post by jmin » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:47 pm

Got in via email today! My current school is somewhere in the 40s and I don't know my rank but it was probably top 25% or so. I'm a bit surprised I got in because I thought I needed a higher class rank. I was on the wait list last year, so that may have helped. I'm definitely planning on going! Good luck to everyone else.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gardners2

New

Post by gardners2 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:05 pm

Congratulations to all those accepted! My gpa and rank were released monday, so my application should be complete tomorrow or friday. Any guesses as to how long until I hear anything. Also, what is the prevailing method of notice? I have a borderline GPA/Rank, so I'm no shoe-in, but I am also a little curious/antsy.

Hopefully ill see all you in DC in the fall

Edit: I know the deadline for all materials is tomorrow, but I have been in constant contact with admissions about the slow response of my current school. They have had my rank since its release, but they are waiting on official documentation.

phishskier41

New

Post by phishskier41 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:42 pm

Does anyone know if GW has sent out any rejections yet?

documentaryjunkie

New

Post by documentaryjunkie » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:57 am

gardners2 wrote:Congratulations to all those accepted! My gpa and rank were released monday, so my application should be complete tomorrow or friday. Any guesses as to how long until I hear anything. Also, what is the prevailing method of notice? I have a borderline GPA/Rank, so I'm no shoe-in, but I am also a little curious/antsy.

Hopefully ill see all you in DC in the fall

Edit: I know the deadline for all materials is tomorrow, but I have been in constant contact with admissions about the slow response of my current school. They have had my rank since its release, but they are waiting on official documentation.

I heard back pretty fast. I applied on 6/20. My file was still incomplete (no official transcript, class rank, or dean's cert yet) when they accepted me on 6/30. They accepted me on the condition that I complete my file and turn in deposit by 7/15.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:08 am

Yes. My friend got rejected last week.
phishskier41 wrote:Does anyone know if GW has sent out any rejections yet?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”