Yale Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
aad

New

Re: New Haven Community College Class of 2013

Post by aad » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:11 pm

clyde_barrow wrote:thanks for the cover, lawyering. silly mods -- making me seem snippy! aad: i'm sure i'll feel the same way when i make my deposit. anyway, congrats on making your decision!
Thanks, clyde barrow... hopefully we'll be laughing over this @ ASW or in the fall!

Ranita

New

Post by Ranita » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:21 pm

lawyering wrote:
aad wrote:
clyde_barrow wrote:
aad wrote:Officially made my seat deposit today.

I must say that it felt like I was buying a house as I walked to the post office.
your attempt at humor is the most laughable thing about your post; sadly, it is not that laughable. it'll be a very nice house, i'm sure.
I was actually not making an attempt to be humorous. That might be why my post was not that laughable. I was simply describing the way I felt as I made a serious financial commitment.

In any case, I'm surprised that such an innocuous comment drew such a snippy comment. I guess that's just the nature of this website.
His original comment was just "L O L. it'll be a very nice house, i'm sure." The mods, for April Fool's Day, changed all "L O Ls" to be that phrase above: "your attempt at humor is the most laughable thing about your post; sadly, it is not that laughable." There was no snippyness meant in the original post! Not to worry =) We Y.ale 0Ls are too nice for such things.
Thanks for clearing that up. Despite the general nastiness of Internet discussion boards, I’ve never felt anything but Kumbaya love coming from YLS 0Ls (and for that matter, 1Ls, 2Ls, and 3Ls as well). I was getting worried for a second.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:27 pm

Ranita wrote: Thanks for clearing that up. Despite the general nastiness of Internet discussion boards, I’ve never felt anything but Kumbaya love coming from YLS 0Ls (and for that matter, 1Ls, 2Ls, and 3Ls as well). I was getting worried for a second.
NHCC breeds nothing but TLC.

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:29 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
Ranita wrote: Thanks for clearing that up. Despite the general nastiness of Internet discussion boards, I’ve never felt anything but Kumbaya love coming from YLS 0Ls (and for that matter, 1Ls, 2Ls, and 3Ls as well). I was getting worried for a second.
NHCC breeds nothing but TLC.

<3 <3 <3

clyde_barrow

New

Post by clyde_barrow » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:16 am

lulz on the "m0ds" macro

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawyering

Bronze

Re: Yale Class of 2013

Post by lawyering » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:34 pm

Just wanted to say, I signed a lease yesterday, so I will DEFINITELY be joining y'all in New Haven in the Fall! :D :D Boy, does it feel good to have made my decision.

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:59 pm

lawyering wrote:Just wanted to say, I signed a lease yesterday, so I will DEFINITELY be joining y'all in New Haven in the Fall! :D :D Boy, does it feel good to have made my decision.
Awesome. What section of the town did you decide to live in? I skim craigslist almost every day scouting the various neighborhoods but it's hard to get a feel for things remotely.

westbayguy

Bronze

Post by westbayguy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:20 pm

--LinkRemoved--

You might want to look a this before renting in Dwight or Dixwell neighborhoods.

Look at the article headed "Few Suspects in Violent Weekend".

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:10 pm

notanumber wrote:
lawyering wrote:Just wanted to say, I signed a lease yesterday, so I will DEFINITELY be joining y'all in New Haven in the Fall! :D :D Boy, does it feel good to have made my decision.
Awesome. What section of the town did you decide to live in? I skim craigslist almost every day scouting the various neighborhoods but it's hard to get a feel for things remotely.

living in east rock. :) i've been told east rock and wooster sq. are the safest/best neighborhoods to live in. downtown is cool too. west of campus gets unsafe/don't want to walk around at night.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hoopster

New

Post by Hoopster » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:48 am

The Crown Towers where I live is fabulous. Spacious rooms, just a 5-10 minute walk to the law school and a block or two from some great places to eat and drink.

Pausanias

Bronze

Post by Pausanias » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:26 am

Does anyone know when we receive our username and password?

naruhodo

New

Post by naruhodo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:59 pm

Did anyone else on TLS attend the Student Life Q&A? I signed in late, but I was interested in hearing what the panel said in response to the first question: "What is the time frame for getting the best housing; where/when did you look, what should be done in this respect on admit program?"

I'm particularly worried because I'll be abroad until July without any return trips to the U.S. Did the panel speak to whether finding a place in July/August is too late?

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:19 pm

naruhodo wrote:Did anyone else on TLS attend the Student Life Q&A? I signed in late, but I was interested in hearing what the panel said in response to the first question: "What is the time frame for getting the best housing; where/when did you look, what should be done in this respect on admit program?"

I'm particularly worried because I'll be abroad until July without any return trips to the U.S. Did the panel speak to whether finding a place in July/August is too late?
July/August may not be too late, but it might mean you'll need to do a bit more hunting to get high-quality places...and if you're looking for a 1BR in a prime building downtown, it might be too late. The largest buildings downtown are accepting people onto their waitlists now (and may already sign leases, since they generally know there will be a good amount of turnover); on the whole, the smaller buildings or privately owned homes lease later on (May, June) or maybe as late as July or August.

It depends what you count as the "best" housing - but the short answer is that there is always housing available, even up until July/August. If you're not too picky, you might end up finding a great plate that late, too, but you never know.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

oso84

New

Post by oso84 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:08 am

rabbit9198 wrote:
naruhodo wrote:Did anyone else on TLS attend the Student Life Q&A? I signed in late, but I was interested in hearing what the panel said in response to the first question: "What is the time frame for getting the best housing; where/when did you look, what should be done in this respect on admit program?"

July/August may not be too late, but it might mean you'll need to do a bit more hunting to get high-quality places...and if you're looking for a 1BR in a prime building downtown, it might be too late. The largest buildings downtown are accepting people onto their waitlists now (and may already sign leases, since they generally know there will be a good amount of turnover); on the whole, the smaller buildings or privately owned homes lease later on (May, June) or maybe as late as July or August.

It depends what you count as the "best" housing - but the short answer is that there is always housing available, even up until July/August. If you're not too picky, you might end up finding a great plate that late, too, but you never know.
That's about the entirety of the answer, though the talkative dude they put up there also made a point of saying "don't panic about housing or you'll end up settling [like he did] and that'll suck."

I'm in the same boat you are, at least in that I don't have plans to be in New Haven until, well, I guess orientation and I need to find a roommate and sign a lease and blah blah blah before then. I'm hoping the YLS group on FB heats up to help out those of us who aren't going to ASW.

Anyone else not attending ASW? I feel like I'm missing out =(

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:18 am

oso84 wrote:
I'm in the same boat you are, at least in that I don't have plans to be in New Haven until, well, I guess orientation and I need to find a roommate and sign a lease and blah blah blah before then. I'm hoping the YLS group on FB heats up to help out those of us who aren't going to ASW.

I wouldn't worry too much - lots of people (myself included) didn't use the ASW to find housing or roommates and have been very happy with how things have turned out. Many New Haven landlords understand that people may be making decisions sight-unseen, and they're often happy to send pictures and arrange leases over email, if necessary. [It's also true that most landlords openly prefer grad/professional students over undergrads...so they'll go out of their way to rent to you as opposed to some seniors looking to move off-campus.]

The FB group will likely be a good source of roommates; people who go to the ASW or make housing-scouting trips afterward often post "I found this great place/now I need a roommate" messages. That's how I got set up with my housing situation, in mid-May.

naruhodo

New

Post by naruhodo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:16 am

rabbit9198 wrote:
oso84 wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much - lots of people (myself included) didn't use the ASW to find housing or roommates and have been very happy with how things have turned out. Many New Haven landlords understand that people may be making decisions sight-unseen, and they're often happy to send pictures and arrange leases over email, if necessary. [It's also true that most landlords openly prefer grad/professional students over undergrads...so they'll go out of their way to rent to you as opposed to some seniors looking to move off-campus.]

The FB group will likely be a good source of roommates; people who go to the ASW or make housing-scouting trips afterward often post "I found this great place/now I need a roommate" messages. That's how I got set up with my housing situation, in mid-May.
Thanks you guys! I actually hope to live in East Rock, so if the only places that fill up are the downtown towers, then I should be alright. I'm still debating if I want to live with roommate(s) though...

chw

New

Post by chw » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:19 pm

I finally made up my mind too, and just withdrew all my other apps (except HLS... can't quite bring myself to do it yet...). See you guys at the ASW, and in new haven in the fall!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

elmagic

New

Post by elmagic » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:41 pm

chw wrote:
I finally made up my mind too, and just withdrew all my other apps (except HLS... can't quite bring myself to do it yet...). See you guys at the ASW, and in new haven in the fall!
I am in the same boat, although I have family with biased opinions pushing towards Harvard. I've been looking at places online in New Haven, but it looks like I wont be able to make it out to New Have until my project ends here sometime in mid July so hopefully everything wont be gone by then.

booby87

Bronze

Post by booby87 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:04 pm

Last edited by booby87 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

booby87

Bronze

Post by booby87 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:16 pm

Hey everyone, so I made a thread where you can share your thoughts on ASW if you attended. Thanks :D

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=115892

elmagic

New

Post by elmagic » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:28 pm

Anyone know anything about East Rock. It seems like a lot of Yale people live there. Price ranges? Distance from the law school?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

picaresco

New

Post by picaresco » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:55 pm

Well, I've signed a lease and am mailing it. Filling out the deposit form and all the peripherals. Damn, Yale has a lot of paperwork. Just what is a "Term Registration Status Effective Date"?

From what I gathered at the ASW, East Rock is more residential but it's still within walking distance--especially if you're used to walking in New York or in the South. I don't know much about prices, I looked primarily if not exclusively downtown.

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:50 pm

Just put the deposit form in the mailbox. Gulp. I'm going to be so poor :? But I'll be at Yale :D

booby87

Bronze

Post by booby87 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:22 pm

Last edited by booby87 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:53 pm

Just mailed mine in. As for what you missed at the ASW, booby87, you'll just have to ask Dean Rangappa to perform "Oops I did it again" for you once you get to YLS. For his part, Dean Post sang "Hit me baby one more time."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”