UCLA Law Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
weee

Bronze

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Post by weee » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:36 am

mmmadeli wrote:Hey, I have another question about housing. So perhaps I'm a moron (possible!) and if no one here knows I'll call them tomorrow, but I just happened to notice on the Weyburn rates chart that the law contract dates are June-May. So does that mean that those of us who have move-in dates of August 1 are actually signing 10-month contracts for Aug-May, with two months pro-rated off, and aren't locked into any housing contract for 1L summer? Because if so...that's actually really awesome.
The contract is available to view in your housing account, if you paid your initial payment you should have seen it. yes it is for 10 months is the short answer. I suggest you check it yourself though.

Jockin Jay-Z

Bronze

Post by Jockin Jay-Z » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:45 am

mmmadeli wrote:Hey, I have another question about housing. So perhaps I'm a moron (possible!) and if no one here knows I'll call them tomorrow, but I just happened to notice on the Weyburn rates chart that the law contract dates are June-May. So does that mean that those of us who have move-in dates of August 1 are actually signing 10-month contracts for Aug-May, with two months pro-rated off, and aren't locked into any housing contract for 1L summer? Because if so...that's actually really awesome.
Correct.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:51 am

I think graduate family housing is month to month. I didn't sign but I remember the person on the phone told me that when I was considering housing. Weyburn is different.

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:22 pm

Woohoo I know my actual address for where I'm going to live now, how exciting... I feel like someone else said they already knew they would be in Palm Court a long time ago at Weyburn?

Slansky

Bronze

Post by Slansky » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:40 pm

weee wrote:Woohoo I know my actual address for where I'm going to live now, how exciting... I feel like someone else said they already knew they would be in Palm Court a long time ago at Weyburn?
That's where I am too. And so is everyone else I've talked to... did anyone get assigned elsewhere? :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:45 pm

Slansky wrote:
weee wrote:Woohoo I know my actual address for where I'm going to live now, how exciting... I feel like someone else said they already knew they would be in Palm Court a long time ago at Weyburn?
That's where I am too. And so is everyone else I've talked to... did anyone get assigned elsewhere? :lol:
I hate both of you for knowing where you're living this fall, haha.

Oh yeah - who knows when we get our section assignment/books list? I kind of want to order my books and mail them home, rather than my school box (I assume we have one) or my apartment.

mmmadeli

New

Post by mmmadeli » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:36 am

I'm in 945, which some hasty Googling indicates is Palm as well.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:32 pm

MURPH wrote:Doea anyone know anything about the Sherman Oaks area. I am a nontrad with kids and I am looking to buy a place, not rent. The realtor sent me some listings there.
How long is the drive? How is the neighborhood?
To confirm what others are saying:

When I visited LA, I asked my friend (who lives in san fernando valley) about sherman oaks, and he said that it is a family area, albeit a little bit of a hectic commute.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:44 pm

Does anyone know why the Debt management test (EDTE$T) listed for UCLA law only includes an exit exam?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:49 pm

daesonesb wrote:Does anyone know why the Debt management test (EDTE$T) listed for UCLA law only includes an exit exam?
Yeah bc we only take that test went we "exit" law school. Take the Edtest under the regular UCLA option, and further in you can indicate that you're a graduate student.

itsfivecent

New

Post by itsfivecent » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:44 pm

anyone else living in sycamore court?

evanxlee

New

Post by evanxlee » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:57 pm

itsfivecent wrote:anyone else living in sycamore court?

Yup! Glad I'm not the only one, everybody seems to be in Palm. . .

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:43 pm

daesonesb wrote:
MURPH wrote:Doea anyone know anything about the Sherman Oaks area. I am a nontrad with kids and I am looking to buy a place, not rent. The realtor sent me some listings there.
How long is the drive? How is the neighborhood?
To confirm what others are saying:

When I visited LA, I asked my friend (who lives in san fernando valley) about sherman oaks, and he said that it is a family area, albeit a little bit of a hectic commute.
Thanks to you and everyone who responded. I visited LA this week (but not UCLA) and picked a couple of places in Culver City. I will be putting in offers this week.
Now I need a place to live for a month or so while I close on a home. Does anyone have any suggestions? I will probably end up getting a cheap hotel and paying out the ear while we close on the house. The ideal place would be a one month rental for August that has a kitchenette and allows pets. But I can work around less than that if I must.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:01 pm

so MURPH, when is the TLS housewarming party??

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:20 pm

MURPH wrote:Thanks to you and everyone who responded. I visited LA this week (but not UCLA) and picked a couple of places in Culver City. I will be putting in offers this week.
Now I need a place to live for a month or so while I close on a home. Does anyone have any suggestions? I will probably end up getting a cheap hotel and paying out the ear while we close on the house. The ideal place would be a one month rental for August that has a kitchenette and allows pets. But I can work around less than that if I must.
You can probably sublease an apartment from an undergrad over the summer. I know my friend was still looking for a subletter for the rest of the summer a couple of weeks ago - I can inquire if you want.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:55 pm

weee wrote:so MURPH, when is the TLS housewarming party??
Good idea, I'll let you know when I sign the escrow. It could be 30 - 45 days to actually close, though. Just in time for Labor Day weekend. :mrgreen:

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:57 pm

jay115 wrote:
MURPH wrote:Thanks to you and everyone who responded. I visited LA this week (but not UCLA) and picked a couple of places in Culver City. I will be putting in offers this week.
You can probably sublease an apartment from an undergrad over the summer. I know my friend was still looking for a subletter for the rest of the summer a couple of weeks ago - I can inquire if you want.
Please do. I am flying out there on August 1st and I will live in a hotel for a month if I don't find a place. Do undergrads start the same time we do? PM me and let me know what is available.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:14 am

MURPH wrote:
jay115 wrote:
Please do. I am flying out there on August 1st and I will live in a hotel for a month if I don't find a place. Do undergrads start the same time we do? PM me and let me know what is available.
Hey I asked my friend who was looking for a subletter about the apartment for the rest of the summer, but his roommate had already found someone. Check out padmapper and see whether anyone is still looking for summer subletters.

Wavelet

New

Post by Wavelet » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:35 pm

Last edited by Wavelet on Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

SHARK WEEK!

Bronze

Post by SHARK WEEK! » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:00 am

Wavelet wrote:Hey all, I'm a 2L at UCLA. I remember at this time last year, I was filled with (1) excitement and (2) a lot of little questions.

There's nothing to be done about (1), but I'm glad to assist with (2). With OCI stuff and my summer job now winding down, I can try to answer any questions you guys might have. Ask away in this thread, or PM me if you prefer.
Thanks for taking questions!

Where did you live during 1L? What were some of the pros and cons of your choice?

Also, when did you find out your section? When did you meet with said people?

Lastly, did you use your locker on a regular basis? Was that typical of a 1L at UCLA?

Thank you!

Wavelet

New

Post by Wavelet » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:16 am

Last edited by Wavelet on Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:30 am

With the UC budget cuts, I'm surprised UCLA shrunk our incoming class.

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:29 pm

jay115 wrote:With the UC budget cuts, I'm surprised UCLA shrunk our incoming class.
They making sure there's plenty of space for people when the tuition goes up even more in the next couple years maybe? It only went down by 10 seats it seems anyway, that seems like a pretty reasonable variation

Wavelet

New

Post by Wavelet » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:29 am

Last edited by Wavelet on Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:05 am

Wavelet wrote:
weee wrote:
jay115 wrote:With the UC budget cuts, I'm surprised UCLA shrunk our incoming class.
They making sure there's plenty of space for people when the tuition goes up even more in the next couple years maybe? It only went down by 10 seats it seems anyway, that seems like a pretty reasonable variation
If it's only ten seats, I doubt it's an intentional cut. It's hard to predict the exact yield percentage for any given year.
Yield is hard to predict, but most schools try to undercut the yield and full the remaining seats from the waitlist. I know there are still people languishing on the waiting list, so I think they are intentionally shrinking our class. You probably are correct, but I'm actually hoping the class cut was intentional - it makes us more valuable commodities when we begin looking for jobs (eg. USC and Vandy).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”